Preview Hawks vs West Coast, Rd 18 2015 OUT: Hale IN: Ceglar

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! Can't wait for the game on Saturday, although I'm not overly optimistic. Hawks usually have a decent crowd presence in Perth, and seem to be pretty relaxed and friendly compared to a few other clubs I could mention. Hoping for a really good spectacle, too many teams playing aggressive lock down footy, it'll be good to get a measure against a team who perfected the style we're trying to play.

Best of luck, and I apologise in advance if the crowd is a little feral that night, which they absolutely will be. :D

We are a game and a half behind West Coast. So if we beat West Coast on the weekend, but they win all their remaining games, they will likely finish 2nd (unless Freo drop a bunch of games).

True. Hawthorn needs to beat the Eagles and hope that the Eagles drop at least one more match between now and the end of the season.

True. Hawthorn needs to beat the Eagles and hope that the Eagles drop at least one more match between now and the end of the season.

I'm confident Freo has their measure.. Basically, we win this week and we will get 2nd!

Lake should contest this (Frawley cleared)

@AFL_PKeane: MRP – 14 charges laid and 3 other matters assessed in detail from rd18:
Brian Lake can accept $1000 sanction, rough conduct on Ty Vickery.

West Coast will crush Freo in a few weeks time. Theres probably a bigger chance of Freo dropping 2-3 (Eagles, Saints, North, Port?) than the Eagles going down to Freo.
Am resigned to 3rd and a 1st up qualifier in the west. Not ideal but we can absolutely get the job done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We cant play Hale and Shoe in the same team, we become to slow and they get in each others way. shoe only gets a game if a forward is injured. IF suckln is fit bring him in for Hartung. Business time of the year carn Hawks no more hicups

Even if we win this week, what are the chances Freo will want to tank the game against the Eagles the following week , knowing it will force us to travel twice should we lose a qual final.

Lake should contest this (Frawley cleared)

@AFL_PKeane: MRP – 14 charges laid and 3 other matters assessed in detail from rd18:
Brian Lake can accept $1000 sanction, rough conduct on Ty Vickery.

He should be asking for a goal to be stricken from his record. Absolute joke.

Was at the game on Friday and paid close attention to Hill and Hartung.

One thing I will say is that if I was coach, based on form and what I've seen, Hartung would be getting a full game ahead of Hill.

I'm not bashing young Brad - I think he is in the top 3 wingers in the comp. Its just the amount of times on Friday I watched a piece of play and thought Richmond just wanted it more told a story.

Hill was repeatedly beaten to contests, run around/allowed too much time to opposition ball carriers and run down by players he well and truly has covered for speed. He is playing like a bloke that knows how good he is, but is expecting us to cruise to September where he will start to play to his potential.

I compared this to Billy on the night. Billy is playing like a man who knows he's playing for his spot and he wants it. His ceiling may not be as high or he may not be as "ready" as Hill but he is playing with intent. Attacking contests, trying to break the lines and repeatedly gut running to provide outlet options - both when the game was on and when the game was over.

One is drinking his own bath water and the other is giving it everything to prove himself. I know which one I would rather have on my team tomorrow.

I'm sure Brad will turn it around once he starts playing with intensity and it would be harsh leaving him out for our road trip to his hometown.

I'd be starting him as sub and giving Billy a full game this week.

I understand that contested footy is not Hill's game or role, but tell him when he comes on he is to run hard. No more jogging in a canter and being forced to kick under pressure when he has the speed to burst away. No more jogging to a contest and letting his direct opponent gather the ball for an uncontested possession.

The other player I paid close attention to was Schoey - I thought he competed well and was actually one of our better contributors on Friday. Won't be in line for omission I would have thought.

Even if we win this week, what are the chances Freo will want to tank the game against the Eagles the following week , knowing it will force us to travel twice should we lose a qual final.

..wouldn't surprise me at all..knowing they could knock out the biggest threat to the cup heading west...
..mid you there are still some twist and turns to play out in the H/A..in such a close season..don't be so sure the cards will drop in the spots they are now...

West Coast will crush Freo in a few weeks time. Theres probably a bigger chance of Freo dropping 2-3 (Eagles, Saints, North, Port?) than the Eagles going down to Freo.
Am resigned to 3rd and a 1st up qualifier in the west. Not ideal but we can absolutely get the job done.

This ... I very confident going to WA week 1 ... if we are on, we will win
... just hope they learn a thing this or two weekend .. I'll be satisfied with a decent effort

Last edited:
Ceglar has to play against Naitanui, we can't play 2 ruckman who can barely jump as he would have a field day. Ceglar can at least make some of his hitouts contested. I think McEvoy is in better form than Hale so he should get the 2nd ruck spot
Ye. Cegs is definitely our best tap ruckman, and has a little height over Nats too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back