Podcast House Of Pain Defeated - BF Port PC Ep. 2.16

Remove this Banner Ad

My first listen to the Podcast. Not sure why Macca but I always assumed you were an older bloke!
Very enjoyable listen, well done to you FR04 and IJI. Great stuff lads.

Our defensive structure and running power are inextricably linked FishingRick04 - we play +1 in defence and push back hard to outnumber the opposition forwards. There is nothing revolutionary about that but our running power and fitness enables us to push forward from the backlines in numbers throughout the game - White's running from behind the ball in the last quarter was phenomenal. The ball coming back in against West Coast was partly due to Simpson's defensive approach particularly in the last quarter.

I agree our set ups in the backline certainly have improved in that when we drop back in numbers we occupy the right positions, know our roles and make it difficult to score. Unlike when Choco and Primus used to drop numbers back, they seemed lost back there and opposition teams didn't have much trouble finding a target inside the F50 as we milled around.

I understand your point Ford Fairlane, it was more about the media and experts dismissing our strategy and putting it all under fitness. Perhaps I didn't articulate it to well, I was excited :)

I understand your point Ford Fairlane, it was more about the media and experts dismissing our strategy and putting it all under fitness. Perhaps I didn't articulate it to well, I was excited :)

You're an excitable guy Rick. :p

I don't disagree but I think with our defensive strategy we just do it properly now, while our fitness looks something special. So that's what the media concentrates on. And Ken quite cleverly keeps talking about fitness and running and deflecting from strategy.

I did hear that all through summer the group worked on a handful of set plays, learned them over and over until they were sick of them, so that in a match situation we would just react instinctively. Hence all the closed sessions.

Sorry guys, I only got back to work, I was in Brissie for the day. I'm about to upload the link for people to join in the competition.

Remember the rule is share the podcast and tag a friend who may be interested in the comment field.

You can do it for each podcast up until the Hawthorn preview and go into the draw more than once. Collection of tickets would need to be on Friday from my office at Modbury. Remember these are being donated from the sponsor www.nieuvision.com.au

The objective is to say thanks to all the people who listen and enjoy and also try and spread the word.

thanks

Rick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would the so called experts in the media know?

Macca's reactions to the goalnetting post story. <3

Stuck on a flight back from Brissie I had no choice but to play the only app on the new ipad mini. Candy Crush, Macca19 must be a closet player sweeettttt

You're an excitable guy Rick. :p

I don't disagree but I think with our defensive strategy we just do it properly now, while our fitness looks something special. So that's what the media concentrates on. And Ken quite cleverly keeps talking about fitness and running and deflecting from strategy.

I did hear that all through summer the group worked on a handful of set plays, learned them over and over until they were sick of them, so that in a match situation we would just react instinctively. Hence all the closed sessions.

Yes I agree that's exactly what Hinkley is achieving. He may not be fooling all the AFL coaches but the over-emphasis on fitness and run being our success story rather than our improving player list and strategies is exactly the thing that could help us upset a good side in an important final.

I don't know if others noticed this but in the preview presser before the showdown Hinkley was typically more reserved, calculated about what information he was giving out and stuck to the similar messages we've heard before, doing so in few words, whilst Sanderson was spilling quite a lot more. Whether Sanderson feels the need to show his football smarts or it is just how he is, I was thankful Hinkley didn't do all the talking.

Kenny said last year that one of the important factors in significant improvement is doing the little things well, just build and build on those and improvement will come.

I rewatched the third quarter of the West Coast game last night and it reinforced that a couple of the simple things we do well (knock on wood) is we hit targets and we hold what look like relatively simple marks moving the ball from defence to attack. It sounds easy enough, but in the Dark Ages we could be guaranteed to drop at least one of those marks or miss a target and suddenly the opposition would be swarming and we would be panicking. Doubt would feed indecision would grow anguish.

But by keeping hold of the ball all the way up the field we push the opposition back and back and force them to run even more against us than they want to or possibly can when they have the chance to go back the other way. And again our fitness is a weapon.

Also against West Coast that last kick inside 50 was the one that wasn't getting the result we needed. Sometimes that was an ordinary kick (even the very last attack of the game Ollie completely missed an open target that would have brought up a 20 point win) or a player didn't work hard into the right spot like say Darling was doing for West Coast when they were getting the ball forward. It really wasn't a problem of structure or missing a tall, in fact Monfries would have been far more dangerous in that game than another tall forward.

Anyway that needs a bit of tidying up but our ball retention and movement up the ground is so much better than it was not so long ago and that is a case of building on doing the little things well.

Onya It Just Is

I reckon your harsh on O'Shea FishingRick04 . The goals Darling got came from the Impey handball, as well as a kick intended for O'Shea falling 10 metres short to Darling followed up by that very stupid 50m penalty. Spot on that your boy Pittard had a great game, I thought he was a bit lucky to stay in the side while a bit down (I guess he is loved by the coach) but he had a great game and should keep improving from here on out.

Hi Lurk3r enjoy your thoughts.

Darling did run O"shea around quite a bit I thought, we were lucky Darling didn't punish us more, but his output was restricted on the score board, which is a good thing.

Sorry guys, I only got back to work, I was in Brissie for the day. I'm about to upload the link for people to join in the competition.

Remember the rule is share the podcast and tag a friend who may be interested in the comment field.

You can do it for each podcast up until the Hawthorn preview and go into the draw more than once. Collection of tickets would need to be on Friday from my office at Modbury. Remember these are being donated from the sponsor www.nieuvision.com.au

The objective is to say thanks to all the people who listen and enjoy and also try and spread the word.

thanks

Rick

Is it just one entry per share, or can you augment your chances by tagging in more people? :D

As soon as you guys said "Go Port Adelaide" instead of "Carn the Power" at the end, I immediately thought of last week with Timmy G haha.

I also laughed...I was waiting to hear if there were going to be any 'go Power's this time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back