Opinion How many more seasons do you think Nick Riewoldt can play on for?

When do you think he'll retire?

Votes: 8 14.0%

Votes: 39 68.4%
  • 2017+

Votes: 10 17.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Manimal_Dunstan

Cancelled
10k Posts
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
So just reading the article where Richo and Roo himself think he can go on for another few years i'm interested to know everyone else opinion on it.. Obviously injuries can come at anytime but hopefully that isn't the case.

The fact he apparently hasn't had to drain his knee since the NZ match against Brisbane seems great good news that his knee is holding up pretty well. Let's keep in mind the skipper is 32 in October

So how long do we all think? i think 2015 but would love to be proven completely wrong.

The article:
Riewoldt, 31, told an AFL Live finals launch this week that his body is feeling as good as it has for some time.

The star forward, who has not missed a game this season, is contracted until the end of next season, but Richardson is confident the skipper can go on for at least two or three more seasons.

“This is where Nick is at — as long as his body is capable, and as long as he still wants to play and enjoys it, I think he will continue to play,” Richardson said this week.

“Dustin Fletcher is 39, so ‘Rooey’ is only a baby.

“He is playing good footy and recent weeks we have shown that we can have two talls and Nick in attack.”

Asked if the end of 2015 might see the end of Riewoldt, Richardson was adamant there should be no time frame placed on him: “Far from it ... injuries are always an unknown, but at the moment, it all looks really positive.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...-st-kilda-saints/story-e6frf3e3-1227019109644

The guy i a tall version of Harvey. If his knees hold out and we can find someone to lighten the reliance on him, I don't see why he cannot go on beyond next year to be honest.

So just reading the article where Richo and Roo himself think he can go on for another few years i'm interested to know everyone else opinion on it.. Obviously injuries can come at anytime but hopefully that isn't the case.

The fact he apparently hasn't had to drain his knee since the NZ match against Brisbane seems great good news that his knee is holding up pretty well. Let's keep in mind the skipper is 32 in October

So how long do we all think? i think 2015 but would love to be proven completely wrong.

The article:
No draining the knee since Brissy game?

The moon pants must be working a treat

image.jpg

No draining the knee since Brissy game?

The moon pants must be working a treat

View attachment 72636
According to Richo.

“I reckon at this stage of the season last year, he was probably having his knee drained every second week. And this year he hasn’t had his knee drained since the New Zealand game (in Round 6).”

he could end up like goodes and play a third tall, maybe pushing high up the ground like in 2012. could extend his career and allow players like white, stanley to settle into their role

just another point to demonstrate that our fwd stocks aint that bad. theyre young and developing and need time, sure. but we atleast have some talent coming through.

outside midfielders who can run and run and then run some more....i dont think we even have one. maybe eli?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he retires next year. All things considered, I can't see him going on past 2016. You just have to look at what happens with Roo when the ball hits the ground to know that his time is coming to an end. And hey, if he retires soon, it might mean our forward line can actually function without the "kick it to Roo syndrome". That might sound a bit direspectful I know, but Roo has been a great player and everyone's time comes eventually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope he can play another two years....of course it will depend on his body.

Good for all parties I reckon. Good for the kids to learn, good for our list and allow enough time to find the next fwd leader (and I'm not talking about Stanley, Lee or White). That also might inform who we take this year if we still end up with pick 1. We might decide to go with bext player rather then draft for need which for mine so far means Petracca v McCartin

Will end up being a top 5 player in history of the club....alongside in no particular order Baldock, Stewart, Lockett & Harvey

I think next year will be his last, cant believe his body has lasted this long.

I expect him to take it on a year by year basis.

If he doesn't see any improvement and we're looking at a few more years of 'rebuilding', he'll hang up his boots rather sooner than later. He is far too competitive to enjoy being smashed week in week out.

If we improve and he sees at least a slight chance for another go at playing finals, he may go on for two or even three years (his body appears to be in the best shape it has been for years).

The problem is that if we do improve and Geary is ready to take over as skipper, we may not want to play him any more...

2 years (for my mental state i hope its 2 years), played every game this year, yeah he my have looked propy a couple of times but its been as good a season as he has had

Back