How many rookies is too many in one position?

Remove this Banner Ad

cormick

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 13, 2007
em dub
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burgers, City
Looked through a few threads and none seem to cover the thing that comes up for me each year: How many rookies is too many for one position?

At the moment in my midfield, I have Martin, Trengove, Cunnington & Bastinac, with the first two on the ground, so I can afford Swan, Ablett, Hayes & Deledio. I would personally prefer to have just one starting and so might downgrade Swan to Cooney and upgrade Cunnington to (Ziebell?). But I've seen that some people boasting a formiddable DT record/team have three rookies starting plus two on the bench in the midfield, so that they can afford "premiums" elsewhere.

Any words of advice from all you DT gurus out there?

It depends how strong the field of rookies is, and this will change from year to year. FWIW this year is very strong in midfielders as shown by the majority of the first round being midfielders.

well basically having 2 or 3 rookies starting u r taking a risk. to win dreamteam you have to take risks and get lucky. if all 5 rookies play and score well it well earn u a heap of cash and end up having a very strong side very early on. you rarely see 5 rookies in one position play early on in the season though and so if you do take the risk and start 2 or 3 rookies you can easily find urself caught out and be bagging a few zeroes

It depends on where you perceive the depth to be. If you can't see more than 2-3 in the backs, forwards and rucks, then you should start your rookies in the middle, where there's more depth.

FWIW, I only have midfield rookies starting, although I do have cheapies elsewhere.

I think it really varys from year to year! I generally try not to have rookies starting in my backs rucks and forwards as a general rule but its hard to make many concrete rules when each position strength changes from year to year. I think the main reason people are starting 2 or even 3 rookies in the mids is because of the lack of depth in mid priced and particuly cheap forwardss this year. It will get down to wether you wanna have a 2 or 3 rookies in the mids and dangerfield type as your 7th forward or 1 rookie starting in the mids and a jack watts type as your 7th forward.

I think mid is the only position it's really effective, because rookies can come in straight away and score 60-70+ in the first few games - especially if they're guns like Trengove and Martin. And as others have said, this year's draft could work the best because quite a few of the first round draftees were mids.

10 in the fwd/back, 9 in the mid and 5 in the ruck are too many rookies for each position:D

But on a serious note, it really depends how many rookies are playing in each spot. Mid rookies look really strong and I would not be surprised to see people start with 3 rookies. Doing this will mean your team value will go up a lot and that is what you want since it means you will be able to afford better players due to the pricing of everyone. That's why you should always aim for value when selecting your round 1 side. But the negative with starting 3 rookies in the one position is their scoring will not be as strong as selecting more expensive players, rookies spots in the 22 is not as strong as others and also it may cost you more trades to a premium player. So if you do select 3 rookies in say the mid you would want to make sure you have a lot of premiums in other positions so it will be less upgrades around the field

I think that to win DT you have to take risks with rookies. Starting 2 or 3 seems like the best option as you can then fit in some of the big gun as (Riewoldt, Swan, Goddard) in your team and score better from the start. 3 starting rookies in the 1 position is about the absolute limit imo.

In the limited amount of pre-season matches we have had, I haven't seen too many rookies in the backs and forwards that I'd take a punt on.
The midfield is where the gravy is.

So in the format "Starting/Bench", I'm currently looking at the following rookie structure:

Backs: 0/1
Mids: 3/2
Rucks: 0/2
Forwards: 0/1

I'm sure some more likely types will surface in the pre-season.
On the flip-side we'll probably see some touted gun rookies fall out of DT favour due to injury, form, opportunity, rawness, drugs, crime, etc. :)

I have 3 rookie midfielders starting this year because this area is so much stronger than the others. Players like Martin and Trengove should be best 22 and score well. They only need to play the first 8-10 games so I can uprade .

ok my main problem in starting too many rookies is if there is no downgrade options when you need them you can get stuck...3 midfield rookies sounds ok but what happens if two get dropped (highly plausable) and no other rookies get a game in the rounds you need them.

I am considering starting 4 in the mids, gives a really good strong team in other positions without need for any upgrades. Am I really brave enough (or stupid) to go with it? Don't know, maybe it could work. I think for that strategy to work you would need to have all 6 mid rookies play most of the first 5-6 games.

The forward and back rookies are a bit of a worry this year, can one generate enough cash early from them, I doubt it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am considering starting 4 in the mids, gives a really good strong team in other positions without need for any upgrades. Am I really brave enough (or stupid) to go with it? Don't know, maybe it could work. I think for that strategy to work you would need to have all 6 mid rookies play most of the first 5-6 games.

The forward and back rookies are a bit of a worry this year, can one generate enough cash early from them, I doubt it.

It will make or break your season. Comes down to how big your balls are.

ok opinion changed after week one of NAB, you can start one rookie, D. martin that is it this year unless somone shows me somthing

ok opinion changed after week one of NAB, you can start one rookie, D. martin that is it this year unless somone shows me somthing

Writing players off after their first game is a little harsh. Unfortunately we won't get to see anymore of Scully and Trengove, but hopefully the rookies who've made it through to round 2 show us more.

Writing players off after their first game is a little harsh. Unfortunately we won't get to see anymore of Scully and Trengove, but hopefully the rookies who've made it through to round 2 show us more.

With DT rookie/player analysis, often you only get one good look at a player in the pre-season to make a judgement call. Because of this, you need to really "watch" a player closely.

Scully showed superior handballing skills in the clinches; already better than most on the Melbourne list.

Trengove has some real poise and deft foot skills on both sides. Again, better than most on the Melbourne list.

And that's all the visual information I need to make my call.

Im not taking them out of my team, just putting them on the bench. I thought starting two rookies was a little risky. Im just benching them and only going to start the best ones. There has always been doubts over Scully for round one, cunnington/bastanic I cant see them squeezing straight into the side without getting a couple of runs to prove themselves. Barlow looked promising but i would want to see it again and Maribito looked out of his league. With all the awesome mid-pricers in the mids starting 2 rookies is gone now

Are you joking?:eek: What a stupid thing to say, just because Trengove and Scully had quite games?:confused: Didnt you watch Barlow, Banner, Shuey and probably a few others Im forgetting all score really well in there first games? Along with Martin, I think Ill be starting 3 mid rookies this year, so much value there.

Are you joking?:eek: What a stupid thing to say, just because Trengove and Scully had quite games?:confused: Didnt you watch Barlow, Banner, Shuey and probably a few others Im forgetting all score really well in there first games? Along with Martin, I think Ill be starting 3 mid rookies this year, so much value there.
And ill be starting three mid-pricers. I have three in my team just on the bench

What do you fellow DT expert think of the following starting midfeild.

Bartel, Cooney, Masten, Trengove, Scully, Martin (Jetta & Shuey)

Risky, but could pay handsome rewards

What I would ask is this.

Who is more likely to score closer to their respective premiums?

Hunt/Waters/Kennelly - Enright/Goddard/Hodge etc

or

Martin/Trengove/Scully - Bartel/Swan/Hayes etc

If you get me.

I think the answer to the original question (assuming it pertains to the starting lineup) is: four in the mids, one in the backs, two in the forwards and one in the rucks. That's for this year only, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back