Discussion Maths is hard ... how the magic number can give us an idea of price rises

Remove this Banner Ad

May 9, 2014
Donnybrook, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
OKC (NBA), Geelong (AFLW)
I've wanted to calculate the time periods for midpricers and rookies to reach their optimal upgrade window. I found these articles ... but remembered I'm bad at math.

Part 1
Part 2
(Publisher of these is now the Chief Data Scientist at Morreias Magic)

Magic number is 88__ this season. Can't remember where I read it. But apparently it moves lower during the season ... saywot?!

Anyone geeky brave enough to give it a crack?

Using the example of Liam Jones ($321k) we know his starting price is 36pts. Say he scores 50 each week, how long will it take to reach that price point of $440k?

Last edited:
I've wanted to calculate the time periods for midpricers and rookies to reach their optimal upgrade window. I found these articles ... but remembered I'm bad at math.

Part 1
Part 2
(Publisher of these is now the Chief Data Scientist at Morreias Magic)

Magic number is 88__ this season. Can't remember where I read it. But apparently it moves lower during the season ... saywot?!

Anyone geeky brave enough to give it a crack?

Using the example of Liam Jones ($321k) we know his starting price is 36pts. Say he scores 50 each week, how long will it take to reach that price point of $440k?
It's not quite as simple as the Magic Number lowers .....which it does

Have a read of this post from a poster who is all over it .....it's SC, but the principal is exactly the same ...just substitute this years Fantasy MN of 8,800 for the SC MN, which this year is 5,500

It's not quite as simple as the Magic Number lowers .....which it does

Have a read of this post from a poster who is all over it .....it's SC, but the principal is exactly the same ...just substitute this years Fantasy MN of 8,800 for the SC MN, which this year is 5,500

Exactly what was needed. Cheers WaynesWorld19

Now to use that SC calc to see if multiple lower-end mid pricers are worth it. I'm finding this last week to be tortuous ... trying to find reasons to drop players I've had lined up for weeks!

Oh whoops haha!
Stephen Colbert Nerd GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Remove this Banner Ad

Back