Idea - Farewell game for Ben Johnson at Vic Park in the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Paddywhackers

Cancelled
Jul 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
A Collingwood boy through and through, why not have a farewell game for him. Free entry as per usual. Lots of grog on sale. And plenty of fun, laughter and banter, our first premiership hero from 2010 hanging up the boots mid season that played his whole career at Collingwood. Doesn't matter what state he's in fitness wise. Although it's better he's in decent shape.

Promote it like only Eddie knows how. And see what sort of crowd we can pull, for a highly promoted VFL game at Vic Park. All the alcohol and food sold can go to a charity of Ben Johnson's choice. Promote it and try and get as big a turnout as possible. Of course Ben Johnson would have to be in on this. Could get a big turnout.

Thoughts?

We play our last vfl game of the year at vic park i think (besides finals) so it would be nice to farewell him and possibly dids, but i think he has already walked away from footy

We play our last vfl game of the year at vic park i think (besides finals) so it would be nice to farewell him and possibly dids, but i think he has already walked away from footy

If they get in his ear and suggest that such a club great be honored in the way he should, than why not.

The thought of Dids and in particular Johno getting sent off in this way is tantalizing.

If they get in his ear and suggest that such a club great be honored in the way he should, than why not.

The thought of Dids and in particular Johno getting sent off in this way is tantalizing.

Seems like a lot of work for him to get stuck into his rehab and train again (so his last game he plays is of a decent standard) for not a huge personal gain seeing the crowd won't be that big.

Nice idea in theory but i think the ship has sailed as he has already pretty much left the club

Seems like a lot of work for him to get stuck into his rehab and train again (so his last game he plays is of a decent standard) for not a huge personal gain seeing the crowd won't be that big.

Nice idea in theory but i think the ship has sailed as he has already pretty much left the club

They could get 15,000 - 20,000...

Pretty awesome given it's played at the soul of Vic Park.

Well its on at 11am at vic park, 15k-20k is from la-la land, i think 3-4k would be pushing it

They already get 3-4 thousand it would be much more if it's a farewell game for a cause.

And simply change it to 2.10pm no-brainer.

Than promote it to our 80,000 members.

All proceeds go to a certain charity.

Hope the crowd isn't too big than.

Seats can be booked for $5 of course the standing is pretty much all free.

He will get a Drive around the G where Fans can Clap him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Benny would have played out the year in the VFL and bowed out in the finals; It would seem he has made the call now based on not being able to recover from his current injury in time. Forever a team player!:thumbsu:

Why is it impossible now? What has changed?

List rules, even at VFL level. I imagine we'd have to keep him on the AFL list to do it? Depriving ourselves of another rookie elevation.

Fitness requirements, even at VFL level. I can't see him taking six weeks off then wanting to do the work required to play a one-off game.

AFL is the most professional sport in the whole country. This is local league stuff.

List rules, even at VFL level. I imagine we'd have to keep him on the AFL list to do it? Depriving ourselves of another rookie elevation.

Fitness requirements, even at VFL level. I can't see him taking six weeks off then wanting to do the work required to play a one-off game.

AFL is the most professional sport in the whole country. This is local league stuff.

Do we need to promote another rookie with several player on the long term injury list. or can we simply go to the VFL and under it's game promotion rules that gives GWS so much leeway, get a clause where we can do this.

Fitness levels hopefully isn't too great a concern, it is VFL level and not AFL level and if he's up for it than why not, he'll get fit (enough) for it.

Collingwood has become the best club in the land at being the most modern and advanced, and most importantly 'thinking outside the square', and that's what this proposition is. Maybe going back to the future is a reality of the more things changing the more they stay the same, the CFC continually pushing ahead.

I think BJ can't play VFL for us because he Retired

He is still on Collingwoods list until October this year (his salary remains in our cap).
Hence technically he can still play, I would think that (a) he would decline as his body is no longer up for it & (b) both AFL & VFL on eve of finals with bigger fish to fry.
Bucks would want no distractions prior to finals, wants every Collingwood footballer 100% focused on September (come end August). BBQs & beer come end September.

Nb I love the romance of it...but no longer fashionable or practical in today's cut throat footy

He is still on Collingwoods list until October this year (his salary remains in our cap).
Hence technically he can still play, I would think that (a) he would decline as his body is no longer up for it & (b) both AFL & VFL on eve of finals with bigger fish to fry.
Bucks would want no distractions prior to finals, wants every Collingwood footballer 100% focused on September (come end August). BBQs & beer come end September.

Nb I love the romance of it...but no longer fashionable or practical in today's cut throat footy

I don't think he is. He Retired Immediately - So that means he is off the List

I meant changed in ways that this idea can't get up. As if I meant anything else? :rolleyes:

It wasn't a rhetorical question either.

I knew you meant regarding the idea, there's been reasons mentioned by other posters, don't get me wrong I'd love to see it too, just doesn't seem possible.

I got the impression his injury just didn't look like getting better any time soon. He probably wouldn't play and risk himself further harm just for sentiment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back