FTA-TV If You Are The One

Remove this Banner Ad

Another corker of an episode, the white dude who thinks he's Chinese cracked me up.

I like the way 23 had to compose herself before being brought out as one of the two he selected.

Ultimately though he FAILED TO GET A DATE.

Of the handful of episodes I've seen so far, the guy always picks his favourite girl even though she's turned her light off? WHY? Are they delusional? What could they possibly say that could sway her mind?

Of the handful of episodes I've seen so far, the guy always picks his favourite girl even though she's turned her light off? WHY? Are they delusional? What could they possibly say that could sway her mind?

Yes, delusional. The scores of slimly built ego maniacs who tried to convince 14 for a date come to mind. A prime example being the American Chinese (a stockbroker) who thought it was unfortunate he was so damned handsome...!

Only one who tried to persuade the favourite and failed ever offered any logical reasoning. He said (paraphrasing) 'I came for her, I couldn't accept anyone else. If I couldn't persuade her to come with me, then at least I tried my best and I can be satisfied that I did'

Well there you go, just as I postulate that theory, along comes a guy who manages to convince his favourite girl to change her mind and go with her. Although she never seemed totally comfortable with it.

And how creepy was that guy who basically just came out and said I've been stalking you and want to marry you to one of the contestants?

Well there you go, just as I postulate that theory, along comes a guy who manages to convince his favourite girl to change her mind and go with her. Although she never seemed totally comfortable with it.

And how creepy was that guy who basically just came out and said I've been stalking you and want to marry you to one of the contestants?
I suppose some of these girls become minor celebrities, especially the pretty ones who have high standards and stick around for a while. The producers of the show probably love the moneyed creepers who go on the show with one girl in mind. Makes for excellent tv. This show oughta just be called 'rejection'. Love it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

How crazy was yesterday's episode.
  • The dancer turned tile salesman, turning down #13 after she said she was willing to look after his disabled mum while he was away, chasing after his favourite girl, only to get the inevitable rejection.
  • The chubby guy who came specially for #23! And she turned him down!
  • The Korean wannabe boy-band member, who came off as a real sexist douchebag and couldn't fathom why he didn't get a date.
  • The last guy, after asking each of the 3 girls whether they'd move to Jiangsu to be with him, chose the one that categorically said she wouldn't. He was impressed by her 'quietness'! But hey, I'll give him credit for not sticking with his favourite girl.
  • #6 wearing a maid outfit, and #12 emerging from behind her podium with spaceman pants.

Absolutely love this show! I'm a bit late to the party, only started watching it the other week but since then have been pretty much binge watching it on sbs on demand. The way Wu Jiao left was such an anti climax and I cringe at pretty much everything number 23 says. I think we're a few years behind the current season showing in China and I was interested in watching the recent ones so tried one but I don't think my Mandarin is up to scratch just yet without the subtitles haha

Shattered! I tuned in tonight (after missing last night's episode :( ) and Number 23 (the Japanese single mother) is gone!

What happened, did she find the man of her dreams? I hope so, she was such a lovely bird. I need to know what happened to 23!!!

Shattered! I tuned in tonight (after missing last night's episode :( ) and Number 23 (the Japanese single mother) is gone!

What happened, did she find the man of her dreams? I hope so, she was such a lovely bird. I need to know what happened to 23!!!
I missed it too but I didn't see any mention of candidate 23, whether new or old? Candidate 24 who was her BFF is gone though?

I watched Saturdays episode on Sbs on demand. 23 didn't leave plus there were a lot of different girls so I'm wondering if sbs messed up the episode order

Yeah, 24 was different, but wasn't that girl in the traditional clothes contestant 2 last week?

Yeah, 24 was different, but wasn't that girl in the traditional clothes contestant 2 last week?
Wasn't sure what number but pretty sure wasn't 24. 24 was the girl from Mauritius whose Mandarin was poor.

Last edited:
Yeah I checked out Saturday's episode On Demand and she was in it so either SBS have screwed up the order or they just refreshed some of the contestants. Cheers for the detective work there grim :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched some of the If You Are The One marathon on SBS2 tonight, it's the best.

The highlight for me was the guy who declared he would only date girls with 'high status' interests and couldn't figure out why they all turned their lights off after one of the girls let him have it and basically accused him of being a snob. I know it's mainland China but the arrogance/immaturity of some of the guys never ceases to amaze me.

Watching tonight's episode, can't believe how many guys shoot themselves in the foot with their videos, like the guy from Vancouver who lost the girls by talking about how much he was in love with his last girlfriend. Maybe he would have been a good catch, but it's all about perception.

Love it. Why does the friend testimony always destroy the contestant's chances? 'Failed to get a date!'

It they say anything about having Western values or liking American fashion - fast track to 0 from 24. I love this show

Foreigners rarely get a date, but most of them are dickheads so it's hardly surprising.

A theory:
Some girls want a Chinese man, with Chinese values, not a westerner trying to be one. Example: the ones who stay in a certain province and refuse to move, even for a local.

Some girls want a western man, with western values, not one trying to be Chinese. Example: the ones who study overseas and come back.

The middle ground, a girl/man who embraces both cultures and sees the pros and cons in both. I don't think I've ever seen one...probably because they aren't single.

Bump.

Does anyone know where/if I can find an English subtitled version of this episode

Has it aired here yet? March 10th, 2013 or October 3rd, 2013 (if that's what the numbers represent). My partner and my favorite girl finally gets taken.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back