Roast Internet in Australia is a Joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Soooo…..
The coal fired Liberal Government has apparently decided that I deserve FTTP, like the Government that initiated the NBN did…..
So I investigated. Being over a kilometre from the node I know I can do much better being connected FTTP.
But it appears I need a quote to be connected. Even though the Liberals have promised to connect me.
Heres my quote..

2BBE6E2F-ABEA-47E5-BB89-D68727FBFF4B.png
I know that I was always going to vote Labor, but those who have been screwed over by coal fired government and want FTTP might want to look at who they should vote for.

Should I let the quote lapse?
I have 24 hours to apply!

I have FTTC too and get the same speeds. Not too bad except I was on Telstra Cable getting 100mb download. So by having to "upgrade" I get half the speed for the same price.

Just gonna have a bit of a rant as I’ve been rather annoyed the last couple of days.

Got Starlink a few months ago and it has been really good considering where I live I can’t get much better. But something has happened the last couple of days because when I go to play a game the latency is absolutely atrocious. Literally spikes from 40 to over 400 and looks like a heart rate monitor. So you can imagine it’s impossible to play games when you’re stuttering every 2 seconds. Hope they can fix this s**t quick because I’m not sure I can put up with this for weeks or months.

Rant over.

Just gonna have a bit of a rant as I’ve been rather annoyed the last couple of days.

Got Starlink a few months ago and it has been really good considering where I live I can’t get much better. But something has happened the last couple of days because when I go to play a game the latency is absolutely atrocious. Literally spikes from 40 to over 400 and looks like a heart rate monitor. So you can imagine it’s impossible to play games when you’re stuttering every 2 seconds. Hope they can fix this sh*t quick because I’m not sure I can put up with this for weeks or months.

Rant over.
Sending resources to Ukraine it appears.

I am going crazy. Have just found out that my address is now eligible for FTTP (I am on FTTC).

To transfer over, I have to change my current plan to another FTTC plan, then change again to FTTP with my current provider. Optus!

Why I just can't change directly to FTTP is beyond my understanding.

If I didn't have everything with Optus email, I would drop them but it would be a pain remembering all those who have this email.

Last edited:
My internet service seems to go down for about 10 seconds regularly when I'm on kayo streaming. It means that i have to reload the game that I'm watching....The internet has been doing this for a while and did it before and after the NBN put in fibre along the street. Telstra replaced the twisted pair with something about 10 years ago from the pit out front to the wall of the house....so I'm wondering where the problem is when I get these short periods of no internet. If some techo out there knows I'd be grateful. I ran the telstra network check tons of times over the journey, even getting the telstra people to monitor the line but they never find anything.

I am going crazy. Have just found out that my address is now eligible for FTTP (I am on FTTC).

To transfer over, I have to change my current plan to another FTTC plan, then change again to FTTP with my current provider. Optus!

If I didn't have everything with Optus email, I would drop them but it would be a pain remembering all those who have this email.

How did you find that out Maggie5 ?

How did you find that out Maggie5 ?
I received a letter from NBN telling me that I was eligible for FTTP, no extra charge and to contact my provider.

Optus didn't announce it though, I had to try a couple of times to get through the right person as I don't think they want to offer for some strange reason.

I received a letter from NBN telling me that I was eligible for FTTP, no extra charge and to contact my provider.

Optus didn't announce it though, I had to try a couple of times to get through the right person as I don't think they want to offer for some strange reason.
As Optus doesn’t need to pay for it, but may benefit if you decide to upgrade your speed, that’s very wierd.

As Optus doesn’t need to pay for it, but may benefit if you decide to upgrade your speed, that’s very wierd.
I think it is because they make more money from FTTC than FTTP. Just a feeling I got from them as they kept trying to push the 100 speed on FTTC.

It is the same price. Go figure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggest trap all isp’s lay is the free email address with the isp’s domain.
Woke up to that one 15 years ago. Makes it so hard to change as you have friends, business relationships and websites/retail sites all connected to that domain email. You already know your most important internet sites so easy to change them.
Highly suggest people move to an email address that is portable, like outlook.com or hotmail.com. Plenty of others out there.
Once you have that address contact all the people in your email contacts list and change it. Then monitor your inbox for emails coming from to the old address. Contact them and change them.
After 6 or so months you can delete the old address as anyone who hasn’t corresponded in that timeframe aren’t worth the time and effort.
Very liberating when you get to the end of the process.

Biggest trap all isp’s lay is the free email address with the isp’s domain.
Woke up to that one 15 years ago. Makes it so hard to change as you have friends, business relationships and websites/retail sites all connected to that domain email. You already know your most important internet sites so easy to change them.
Highly suggest people move to an email address that is portable, like outlook.com or hotmail.com. Plenty of others out there.
Once you have that address contact all the people in your email contacts list and change it. Then monitor your inbox for emails coming from to the old address. Contact them and change them.
After 6 or so months you can delete the old address as anyone who hasn’t corresponded in that timeframe aren’t worth the time and effort.
Very liberating when you get to the end of the process.
Already started today, opened a gmail account. Now to remember every time.

Already started today, opened a gmail account. Now to remember every time.
Glad you didn’t pick hotmail, allegedly more prone to hacking than most.
If you have an iPhone you can always use your iCloud one (too).

Glad you didn’t pick hotmail, allegedly more prone to hacking than most.
If you have an iPhone you can always use your iCloud one (too).
Didn't know that about iCloud. No iPhone but I do have an iCloud account for my iPad.
thanks!

I don't think Optus are being very honest re the data leak. My daughter has been caught out with a withdrawal ($2000) from her bank account (Debit Card) and she hasn't been with them for years. The are going to reimburse her so they say. She has already contacted Passport and Drivers Licence.

What a pain!

I am changing my credit and debit cards with the bank as I am still with them for now. Am checking out other internet/phone providers this week.

I don't think Optus are being very honest re the data leak. My daughter has been caught out with a withdrawal ($2000) from her bank account (Debit Card) and she hasn't been with them for years. The are going to reimburse her so they say. She has already contacted Passport and Drivers Licence.

What a pain!

I am changing my credit and debit cards with the bank as I am still with them for now. Am checking out other internet/phone providers this week.
cough cough
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/do-you-have-a-“loyalty”-card.1183899/

cough cough
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/do-you-have-a-“loyalty”-card.1183899/
Unrelated to Optus but got a text message from my credit card provider asking whether I had just spent $62, replied no (I hadn't) so they have frozen my credit card and are sending new one out. Saved me changing one at least.

Trying to think where my card details are stored besides Ticketmaster and ticketek as don't buy much on line and prefer to pay accounts as I receive them through BPay.

Last edited:
Be aware, as I pointed out in the “loyalty” thread, your CC is linked to your loyalty card.
The simple fact is that if you do not use your loyalty card, but do use a CC or debit card that you have used previously with your loyalty card, then the use of that CC or DC will link to that loyalty card.
So change your loyalty card passwords as well. They can expose your credit card details to the hackers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back