James Gwilt signed by The Injectors

Remove this Banner Ad

Jimmy was better than good. His best was fantastic. It was sad to see that he couldn't come back from a knee injury and recapture his old form - I was hoping he would next year. Lenny came back in amazing form from his second knee, but he took 18 months after his first knee to get up to speed again.

Gwilt wasn't the same after his knee. Then I look at someone like Gilbert when he returned from his knee and foot problems, he seemed to be kicking the ball the best he ever has!

CJ and Gwilt hopefully get a chance to say goodbye

Jimmy Gwilt, my favourite player. Ultimately could only be considered a solid player but his 2010/2011 (before knee reco ) he was very very good. Anyone who disagrees go and watch the 2010 finals series. Minimum of fuss and did it against the odds. Really great kick? Sadly, hasn't been the same player since he injured his knee and it's been hard to watch him as as shadow of the player he was. All the best gwilty

I would have thought that we'd wait and see if another club wanted him via free agency before delisting him? Might have got a 3rd/4th round pick.....

They have not been delisted.

They have not retired. At least not yet.

Just told that they will not be offered a contract for next season with the Saints.

Yeah guys, they are both free agents and if they are picked up we should get compensation for them. Honestly best thing for them, much greater chance of them getting picked up again then in a trade.

Meanwhile they have both been fantastic servants for the club and both really underrated by other supporters. Their best would fit into any premiership side and I hope they both do really well wherever they end up.

Yeah guys, they are both free agents and if they are picked up we should get compensation for them. Honestly best thing for them, much greater chance of them getting picked up again then in a trade.

Meanwhile they have both been fantastic servants for the club and both really underrated by other supporters. Their best would fit into any premiership side and I hope they both do really well wherever they end up.

does that mean for agency purposes, we can still trade and will get compensation?

Thanks to them both for every effort they have put in over their respective journeys
Barely anything tougher I have seen on the footy field than for Jones to get crunched at the beginning of 2008, and get back up again. Albeit a bit wobbly
Love his chase down tackle on Buddy too, I think that was in the previous year

Their last act for the club, keeping their own news on playing their last game for the club quiet, a wonderful show of class and loyalty to the St Kilda Football Club, and Lenny

One thing that cannot be denied from both players is the amount of heart each had, so hopefully anyone coming in to replace them can display just as much

Good luck for the future boys! :thumbsu:

It's situations like this where having our own VFL side would be great.

"Sorry Jimmy and Clint, but given the direction the club has to go list wise, we have to move you on. If you want to play on elsewhere, we'll do our best to get you where you want to go. But you've been great battlers for the club, and we'd love for you to play out your days for the VFL Saints"

I think they were cooked (definitely Kos, if Milne could go on he'd probably be in our best 22 still), but you would get fans coming down if the likes of Blake, Kosi and Milne were still kicking around in the VFL with a role with the AFL side somewhere. Obviously you don't want it getting to the stage where the old guys are becoming a sideshow while we're trying to develop kids but I guess it would create a culture of looking after your own.

People say you have to be ruthless to succeed though and sentiment doesn't win flags...

Also tagging is a skill too. Physical ability is so little of what is required. Pick our most "skilled" player, put him on Gary Ablett and I can guarantee he would be toweled up.

Very good players... Both of them

Clint especially... A terrific run with onballer, but could also find the ball at will offensively. If I were a WAFL club I'd have a big cheque with his name on it... He'll dominate state footy for two years

Jimmy had good moments early and then had a really good 2010/11... His knee a killer. Ended up too heavy and slow. At 188 he was asked to do ridiculous jobs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS could do a lot worse than putting CJ in for a couple of years- he trains hard and sets an amazing example to a bunch of spoon fed kids who have done it all the easy way. Gwilty would be a great get for any club as a third tall swingman.

Just want to offer my respect for Gwilt. Always liked watching him play.

Maybe he'll get another chance elsewhere, where he can play flanker/third tall rather than FB?
It's tough because he became a bit of a defensive liability towards the end. Too short for talls, too slow for mediums but if he can find a team with a good midfield that doesn't let the ball go down there as much as we did he could be a handy third tall defender.

I am told that Jimmy Gwilt had given so much during 2010 and was so injured and sore leading into the drawn Granny that he had more painkilling injections than the bombers had peptides. He played a ripper. The poor bugger backed up a week later even sorer. A warrior.

Jonesy was the no.1 tagger in the league in his prime.

good luck to both.

Essendon close to signing James Gwilt according to Peter Ryan. Best of luck to James, hopefully he will be a required player at the Dons and plays 22 games in 2015.

Essendon close to signing James Gwilt according to Peter Ryan. Best of luck to James, hopefully he will be a required player at the Dons and plays 22 games in 2015.

Haha everyone heavier than 80Kg is likely to be a required player at the Don's. But I'm pleased if he can continue playing footy. He still has potential to improve a bit IMO. He's not quite back to where he was before his injury.

The afl website says he will sign as a Delisted Free Agent, I really hope he signs as a Unrestricted Free agent instead

Remove this Banner Ad

Back