Toast James Sicily - Hawthorn captain 2023 - AA 2023!

Remove this Banner Ad

I love Hodgey as much as the next guy, he's my second favourite Hawk of all time, but let's not kid ourselves here. Hodgey was firey, brash, and gave away a few frees for playing reckless and chatting back. What's Sicily done that's so bad you question his leadership? He's had a few cheeky jabs at players before, but apart from that one free kick out of the bounce against the Bulldogs that cost us the game, which was horseradish levels of bullshit, he's never cost us a game from my memory. Not saying Hodgey has either, but if people are still spouting rubbish about Sis' immaturity and fiery nature costing us games and not making him fit for the Captaincy then more people still listen to Kane Cornes than I thought. If you want a club with soft, boring, uninspiring leaders go barrack for North.
Honestly apart from a couple of very minor incidents when he just started out this whole "Sicily is an irresponsible hothead" thing just makes me laugh.

Mostly it has been driven by the media cause they love to create a villian and James does have a bit of a resting bitch face (sorry mein capitan) and he is also just so damn good he draws attention.

In fact relative to Hodgey you could even argue that Sicily is a little more restrained as he hardly ever gives a free kick away or gets reported.

I love Hodgey as much as the next guy, he's my second favourite Hawk of all time, but let's not kid ourselves here. Hodgey was firey, brash, and gave away a few frees for playing reckless and chatting back. What's Sicily done that's so bad you question his leadership? He's had a few cheeky jabs at players before, but apart from that one free kick out of the bounce against the Bulldogs that cost us the game, which was horseradish levels of bullshit, he's never cost us a game from my memory. Not saying Hodgey has either, but if people are still spouting rubbish about Sis' immaturity and fiery nature costing us games and not making him fit for the Captaincy then more people still listen to Kane Cornes than I thought. If you want a club with soft, boring, uninspiring leaders go barrack for North.
Where in the post did I question his leadership?

I simply said he was different to Hodge, and hopefully had moved on from any immaturity or petulance.

I don’t know who he barracked for when he grew up, but great to see a knockabout Western Suburbs boy from Wezza (Werribee) now captaining your great club. A bit like us having Bailey Smith and Sam Darcy from those leafy eastern suburbs. Hope he gets a good run free from injuries and has a great career as captain, with your rebuild he may be on a hiding to nothing? We’ll see?

Great choice by the club. We need that leader with a bit of mongrel about them to help develop the kids imo. When I got the text message, I was like it’s about bloody time.

Pretty sure he was de-listed, then brought back as a Rookie

This is correct. The original decision was to cut him from the list entirely, but the club had a change of heart after Moore had 25 disposals and kicked a goal against the Suns in round 18, 2020. He was delisted and then selected as a rookie for 2021.

Moore was eligible for free agency at the end of this season because he had been delisted by the club, but he signed a contract extension instead.

I don’t know who he barracked for when he grew up, but great to see a knockabout Western Suburbs boy from Wezza (Werribee) now captaining your great club. A bit like us having Bailey Smith and Sam Darcy from those leafy eastern suburbs. Hope he gets a good run free from injuries and has a great career as captain, with your rebuild he may be on a hiding to nothing? We’ll see?

Sicily was actually a Bulldogs supporter growing up, based on the club profile he completed when he was drafted to the club in the 2013 national draft.

I thought the 22 under 22 was already pretty silly. This takes it to the next level.

Sicily also made that team as a forward didn’t he? It’s about whose gone on to a good career rather than their level at the time.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

L
Sic went up to Brisbane on his break and caught up with Hodgey about the dos and don’t of captaincy.

Love the downlow on Weddle

"Quite an impressive athlete... He could be anything really... His profile athletically is pretty unfair to be honest" :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back