Toast James Sicily - Hawthorn captain 2023 - AA 2023!

Remove this Banner Ad

I think James is probably right in that this would be a view shared by plenty of younger players, however, once blokes have families and get a bit older, there would be plenty of pluses with being based down there. Plus it being a footballing state with a rich history and a real soul, I think they’ll be better placed than the other expansion clubs. Obviously not for everyone, but it doesn’t need to be.

He may be, but as captain he doesnt need to say it.

This was poor judgement from Sicily

What I heard was that players didn't want to live in Hobart because it was a long way from amenities such as concert venues, the international airport and other attractions of a larger city. If players elect to live nearby Dingley they won't have easy access to those amenities either. From Hobart they will catch a plane to Melbourne. The physical distance is not the issue. Sure the travel time from Hobart will still be greater but it is not prohibitive and Hobart has its compensations. I don't think player retention will be as big an issue as people are making out. Every club has to deal with a "go home" factor but that is more about missing family and friends than big city attractions. GWS has lost plenty of players despite being in the most glamorous and well connected city in the country.

Its not. You heard wrong.

Even the airport which is over the bridge and out of town is only 20 minutes drive from Sandy Bay.

Brilliant strategy by Sis. He is playing 4D chess while the media are playing checkers. His comment has now got everyone talking about all the good stuff that Tassie has to offer. Great way to launch the build up to the announcement of a Tassie team and a little 'Thank You' to Tassie for the years of sponsorship 😜

An ingenious take on a massive faux pas!

I have to admit that I only visited Hobart for the first time in Oct/Nov last year and I loved it (45+ with wife and 2 kids)

The food and wine scene is exceptional, the outdoor activities and opportunities experienced were second to none and a lot of these were within 90 minutes of the city. The city itself is lively enough and has an abundance of character that is sadly lacking in modernised inner city suburbs of larger cities these days. Plus, it seems that almost every suburb has views of the Derwent, not the neighbours wall.

If the planned stadium location remains the same, I expect to see growth opportunities within the CBD and wharf areas, similar to what has happened around the Docklands and Adelaide with their inner city stadiums. It took a bit of time but panned out pretty well for those areas of the city and the ability for workers and tourists to just walk across the road or a few minutes from the office and be at the game.

I'm also of the belief that being in a footy heartland will have a pronounced benefit when players are considering their future. GWS and Gold Coast are lucky to get 12k to many home games and as a result their games feel soulless. I'd expect Tassie will be a 20K minimum per game and the atmosphere in a 23K stadium electric (once they start to do well).

I hope they do well and all Tasmanians really get on board with their support

Brilliant strategy by Sis. He is playing 4D chess while the media are playing checkers. His comment has now got everyone talking about all the good stuff that Tassie has to offer. Great way to launch the build up to the announcement of a Tassie team and a little 'Thank You' to Tassie for the years of sponsorship 😜
Keep doubling down, become the heel to tassie, rivalry round in tassie would be an awesome.

It’s a classic character ark, hero turns villian and then pitted against the new team, writes itself

An ingenious take on a massive faux pas!

I have to admit that I only visited Hobart for the first time in Oct/Nov last year and I loved it (45+ with wife and 2 kids)

The food and wine scene is exceptional, the outdoor activities and opportunities experienced were second to none and a lot of these were within 90 minutes of the city. The city itself is lively enough and has an abundance of character that is sadly lacking in modernised inner city suburbs of larger cities these days. Plus, it seems that almost every suburb has views of the Derwent, not the neighbours wall.

If the planned stadium location remains the same, I expect to see growth opportunities within the CBD and wharf areas, similar to what has happened around the Docklands and Adelaide with their inner city stadiums. It took a bit of time but panned out pretty well for those areas of the city and the ability for workers and tourists to just walk across the road or a few minutes from the office and be at the game.

I'm also of the belief that being in a footy heartland will have a pronounced benefit when players are considering their future. GWS and Gold Coast are lucky to get 12k to many home games and as a result their games feel soulless. I'd expect Tassie will be a 20K minimum per game and the atmosphere in a 23K stadium electric (once they start to do well).

I hope they do well and all Tasmanians really get on board with their support
Apart from Marvel, the Docklands is a ghost town

If they start to do well.

I can guarantee you that the Gold Coast would have a good atmosphere at footy games if there was any long term faith in Gold Coast being and remaining good. Particularly from neutral supporters. It has plenty of expats from footy states.

They drew decent enough crowds in their first year when there was novelty, and in 2014 when it looked as though they might start to shoot up the ladder. Unfortunately so many years of being crap has undermined any confidence.

The populations of Hobart and Geelong are roughly similar 240k -v- 260k. They will have no problem getting 25k+ to games down there.

Those of us with a few grey hairs will recall that until Bracks and Napthine were Victorian premiers, investment in Geelong was negligible. Hence the nickname “Sleepy Hollow”.

In the past 15 years it has well and truly come to life.

No reason Hobart couldn’t do the same, as they are born and raised on Australian Rules - unlike GC / GWS

I see Jai around Elsternwick a fair bit.
He lives in Bentleigh East with Big Ned and Bramble. In that Day in the Life video, they walked to the shops on Chesterville Rd.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dingley is less than 30Kms from the city as a training base

Players arn't moving to Dingley though either

They are moving to Brighton, Elwood, Caulfield which are all within 15KMs of the city, they are staying inner east/bayside

Essendon players dont live in Tullamarine, Bulldogs players dont live in Footscray, Melbourne players dont live in Casey and that 55 KMS from the CBD

Multiple clubs apart from Richmond and Collingwood dont have central training bases and have no issue with retention

This is just a strange post with no awareness of Melbourne or willfully ignorant
Pretty sure Highett and Sandringham are spots of choice for youngsters too, Lewis, Day and Moore.

The Day extension vid was filmed just off Beach road.

He lives in Bentleigh East with Big Ned and Bramble. In that Day in the Life video, they walked to the shops on Chesterville Rd.
Nice, would explain seeing him around Elsternwick. Nice area Bentleigh, and certainly not far from Dingley

Can't wait until Dingley is built and it doesn't effect any players....just so we can stop talking about how inaccessible or far Dingley supposedly is
I was at training yesterday, Mitch Cleary set up right next to me under an umbrella out of the rain. He went on to talk footy and all the things that are going on in the world, with his cameraman.
They got to talking about Dingley, and Mitch was saying how easy it is to get to, only took him 10-15 minutes (from his house on the east side, I presume) and how it's in a great spot wedged between two freeways.

If he said he wouldn’t wear Skechers shoes to a dinner party would we GaF?

Anyways
Yes because there is no need to say it as captain of the club about one of our sponsors.

James made a stupid statement and he would have been wrapped over the knuckles for it, as Sam said "He needs to be better"

He has apologized and we move on, but James needs to learn a lesson and hopefully he has.

I was at training yesterday, Mitch Cleary set up right next to me under an umbrella out of the rain. He went on to talk footy and all the things that are going on in the world, with his cameraman.
They got to talking about Dingley, and Mitch was saying how easy it is to get to, only took him 10-15 minutes (from his house on the east side, I presume) and how it's in a great spot wedged between two freeways.
I think it is a good spot.

I think people compare it way too much to the Saints' move to Seaford, which is very different.

I think it is a good spot.

I think people compare it way too much to the Saints' move to Seaford, which is very different.
Seaford came up, and they both scoffed at how bad it was, and that Dingley wasn't like that. Was interesting listening.

Yes because there is no need to say it as captain of the club about one of our sponsors.

James made a stupid statement and he would have been wrapped over the knuckles for it, as Sam said "He needs to be better"

He has apologized and we move on, but James needs to learn a lesson and hopefully he has.
Fair enough but * me this is not a hangable offence

If only James had cheated on the mother of his children and insulted another players mother like Brisbane's captain did.

Oh wait...

Storm in a teacup. He said something a little silly then clarified his comments later on, offering an apology for offence that may have been taken.

We move on.

There is lots for players to do in Hobart and Tas. An beside AFL players are known for there travelling.

They travel most weekend for games and go over seas for end of seasons holidays. So there hardly home ever. Just ask there wifes and GF'S.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back