Scoopar

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2006
Long Way from Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Hearts of Midlothian, GB Packers.
For all you Sydney fans, Sydney great & Premiership player Jared Crouch is playing a one off game this Saturday (23rd May) for Kangarilla in the South Australian Hills League. Jared's youngest brother Sam plays for Kangarilla and the two brothers have never played in the same team (Jared is about 7 years older than Sam) so they are playing together in a one off game.

Jared hasn't played since retiring from the Swans so it will be a big occasion for the family and we should see a big Crouch contingent at the Kangarilla v Birdwood game this Saturday.

Good on Crouchy. I was starting to worry he might do himself a rupture as he's getting on a bit (37 now?) but then I remembered there's a bloke still running around for Essendon who's 40 apparently...

It's an individual decision to come out of retirement and play.

I'm 35 and retired at 29. Endurance wise I'm not far off when I played.

The overriding fear I have in making one off comebacks is that I'm going to do a serious injury that I never did in my playing days (ACL or Achilles).

Having a five year old and work that requires you to be mobile, a severe injury could put unimaginable stress on the family. That's before taking into account the physiotherapy costs that are huge if you are not in a sporting environment.

Jarred Crouch is obviously in a different position to amateur hacks like myself, but there are huge risks.

If you retire from football without history of a serious injury then why tempt fate on one off comebacks in your mid-late 30s. Enjoy kicking the ball with your kids, enjoy keeping fit without the risks of playing.

That's just my view. I know it's lacking a bit of football romanticism.

It's an individual decision to come out of retirement and play.

I'm 35 and retired at 29. Endurance wise I'm not far off when I played.

The overriding fear I have in making one off comebacks is that I'm going to do a serious injury that I never did in my playing days (ACL or Achilles).

Having a five year old and work that requires you to be mobile, a severe injury could put unimaginable stress on the family. That's before taking into account the physiotherapy costs that are huge if you are not in a sporting environment.

Jarred Crouch is obviously in a different position to amateur hacks like myself, but there are huge risks.

If you retire from football without history of a serious injury then why tempt fate on one off comebacks in your mid-late 30s. Enjoy kicking the ball with your kids, enjoy keeping fit without the risks of playing.

That's just my view. I know it's lacking a bit of football romanticism.

meh, things like the ACL or achilles you can do playing over 35's soccer or basketball, too, or on a bloody skiing holiday or something. If you don't go too hard in a game of footy, you can largely avoid the chance of serious impact injuries.

as an aside, I've got Crouch's 150 game boots that a mate gave me as payment for helping him move house. He'd won them in a raffle or something. Are there any collectors of memorabilia or anything on there that'd be interested in something like that? They're just a pair of hilariously small shoes to me.

First quarter action from Kangarilla yesterday featuring Jared Crouch.
Crouch is wearing number 15 for Kangarilla (Double Blues).
At 4min mark gives a neat handball out of congestion.
4-52 gets a handball from his brother Sam Crouch (#19), but then does a scrubber of a right foot kick.
6-22 Takes a mark on half back and delivers a neat kick to the leading player on the wing position.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back