Game Day JLT Game 2 v Ra Ra Tiges

Remove this Banner Ad

This has been his go-to get out clause throughout his tenure. The 'we could've plugged the leaks' etc etc but we wanted to work on X.

Then amazingly in the seasons we were playing for keeps, we were unable to plug the leaks when it counted.

It used to be you train as you play and a practice match is a pretty good mode of training.
Easy Fixes Mate. At least we met our objectives. :stern look

I had 7 Richmond goals from free kicks, most of them bullshit.

Agree, and they came at a crucial time in the match. Also add with those maybe 7 of the worst turnovers you'd ever hope to see gifting easy goals. These are easily fixable areas.

It's not as dire straights as the forum suggests, but it was disappointing to see our skill level go to s**t. I sense a lack of confidence in the group. We didn't exactly gain any momentum towards the end of last season nor in the pre-season so far, and there is a lack of continuity given injuries and new comers. We will warm into season but I suspect a sharp improvement will come round 1.

Positives:
Higgins
Williams
Tarrant
Preuss (just play him, physicality around contest coupled with big ruck knocks)

Hope:
Wood - Stat sheet doesn't read that well... but once he regains his touch he looked to be moving well and everywhere at times. Touch wood he stays injury free - easy to forget he has only paid 20 or so games.
Vickers-Willis - wasn't a great game but there was signs he was making good decisions, looked good in the air as well, i think we have to persist with him off HB.
Zurhaar - tough, made some terrible mistakes with the footy, but anyone who plays with physicality should be rewarded in our group.
Murphy - only saw about 2 moments of him and had no clue who he was, but i liked what i saw, if race horse would buy him in the paddock. nice size, moves well and kicks well.

Worries:
Clarke - still young but haven't seen improvement
Hartung - average player - soft as butter
Atley - still pathetic
Hibberd - scared footballer in terms of skill execution
Hrovat - hasn't come on - will continue to be an average contributor at best, tries though
Goldstein - still looks average
Dumont - didn't look any good
Jacobs - still just an average player

Other than that the usual suspects look to be on song enough...

If Goldy plays over Pruess in round 1 we aren't serious.

Pruess grabbed and caught Dustin Martin holding the ball.

We need someone like him in the team. He is the anti-Goldstein who was beaten in the ruck by both Jack Riewoldt and Shaun Grigg last night

If Goldy plays over Pruess in round 1 we aren't serious.

Pruess grabbed and caught Dustin Martin holding the ball.

We need someone like him in the team. He is the anti-Goldstein who was beaten in the ruck by both Jack Riewoldt and Shaun Grigg last night

Fair dinkum UL, if this is the most pressing issue worthy of your first post today then I wonder which game you watched.

Fwiw thought Williams, Hrovat, Turner, Tarrant, Higgins had reasonable games.

Have no issues with anyone in the sub 30 game bracket or those perennially injured types who were making their way back to senior football.

The rest were average.

And Brown in the ruck is just inane. If we really want to rotate rucks then play both Preuss and Goldstein. Otherwise play Daw as a chop-out option.

Despite his size Brown isn't suited to the ruck and we're also playing Russian Roulette with the only bloke on the list capable of winning a Coleman.

And Brown in the ruck is just inane. If we really want to rotate rucks then play both Preuss and Goldstein. Otherwise play Daw as a chop-out option.

They may as well play him in the ruck if they won't kick it to him in the forward line.

We look putrid. Nothing has changed it seems. 3 more years of this before a new regime comes in and takes over this mess. The recruiting, the player development, the coaching style, the list management - all epic failures in my book.

Why Brad Scott received a 2 year extension is utterly beyond me. It’s dead-set negligent by our Board.
he works cheap

They may as well play him in the ruck if they won't kick it to him in the forward line.
It's very hard to see where our goals are going to come from, give Brown his 3 a game if he plays well, after that if one of our forwards actually kicks a goal, they have had a blinder!

Why kick to the 200cm bloke with the massive reach when you can pinpoint a midget defender instead?

Opposition defenders must spring out of bed on match day against us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's how you beat a forward press. KICKING!
Our most skilled defender kicking to our smartest midfielder. It's going to work more often than not.

Do we need to start grooming McKay for FB now so we can use Robbie in more attacking situations?

Get McKay in now while Thompson is there to hold his hand for the season.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

That's how you beat a forward press. KICKING!
Im a JMac fan but running to the pockets to get the out kick and then long to a contest is a cop out.
The whole defence sadly doesnt have the skills to pull off the elite kick.

Fair dinkum UL, if this is the most pressing issue worthy of your first post today then I wonder which game you watched.

Nah I'm with UL.

Preuss was outstanding when he came on yesterday. His physicality and ruck work looked great and he supplies great support to the mids around the contest with his body.

Also lifts the spirit of the boys around him and the fans.

Has to play round 1.

The fact we even worry about this shows our doubts about Scott having balls himself.

Another thing that stood out last night was the amount of times when we did go forward a Richmond defender had front position.
* me, that does my head in. Our forwards are always behind and/or flatfooted.

Chaos balls into a fwd line should advantage the fwds. Ours seems disadvantaged.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Looking at our side on paper - we should be much better than the crap we dished out. We looked like a side from a lower league, despite having plenty of experience on every line.

We are miles off it. Either we played two top 4 teams or we are most definitely a bottom 4 side.

To be honest, after seeing some great signs last year before the injuries hit, I was hoping for 8-12 wins.

Right now 4-6 wins looks likely.

Best not to overreact given it was a practice match, our effort is there, but our execution isn't and the team balance still looks a bit off, we don't seem to have an even contribution.

We had 142 CPs vs 133 and have 39 clearances vs 33, 61 tackles vs 65 and 36 hit-outs vs 34

This is the bread and butter, something we obviously focus a lot of effort at and it is an area of our game where we compete well against pretty much any opposition. The problem is what happens after we get the ball in our hands, nobody can convince me that we are well drilled on any aspect of the game other than getting first possession because it is not visually evident that we have a functional system outside of stoppages.

At present, our butchering of the ball means whenever we try to move the ball up the ground we are left vulnerable because our over-reliance on a zone defence setup and a lack of one-on-one defending means we don't have the time to transition back from attack to defense quickly enough, the ball doesn't go far enough up the ground and there isn't a whole lot of pressure slowing down the ball giving time to setup defensively.

We simply cannot play a zone defense with our skill level. At best, you would require our four core defenders to play man-on-man and give license for 2 pocket or back flankers to attempt to read the play and drift into the holes to cut off leads. Our ultra defensive game plan hasn't helped to reduce the scoring against us compared to the 2012/13 throw caution to the winds style of one-way running. That makes it utterly pointless.

My major gripe isn't that we didn't win or how much we lost by, it is not seeing any real improvement in our biggest deficiencies year after year. I am not expecting us to be Harlem Globetrotters skill-wise, but we had average to poor skills when Brad came in and it hasn't improved for the better despite the game evolving to be less of a contested grind.

It just blows my mind that we just can't make any headway into the basics of the game.

Im a JMac fan but running to the pockets to get the out kick and then long to a contest is a cop out. The whole defence sadly doesnt have the skills to pull off the elite kick.

Yet ironically, we won't kick to a ****ing contest in our forward line!!!

Another thing that stood out last night was the amount of times when we did go forward a Richmond defender had front position.
Wood and Ziebell I will put at fault. And they are great one out. Should know better.
Turner and co followed suit..

We dont move the ball with any fluidity ala Richmond to be goal side of our opponents.
Hence why the lazy look of our forward line came to the fore big time.

Yet ironically, we won't kick to a ****ing contest in our forward line!!!
We did it once to Waite one out who could have put his knee into his opponent and gotten the free if he dropped the mark.

But the kick deep to the pocket once we went inside 50 is the way to go :thumbsu:

They are well drilled. Holding front position is a little thing. They do the little things whereas we do not

Well I was there and I can tell you are there are about 50 pressing issues, this may not be number 1 but Goldy can simply not be played first ruck for the rest of the year. Going forward for the future it has to be Pruess.

Fair dinkum.

- Disposal is cooked, constantly easy turn over, VFL standard disposal
- Brown in the ruck? Why???
- Waite, why?
- Mason Wood is the Eric Lissendon of the 21st century.
- Zibells disposal, no over taken Simpson as the worst kick for a North captain I have seen
- Crumbing forwards - non existant
- Kick outs, year in year out pathetic, even when we were decent
- So many players just going along and not getting better - McMillan, Atley, Hrovat, Dumont etc all plodders

Wood and Ziebell I will put at fault. And they are great one out. Should know better.
Turner and co followed suit..

We dont move the ball with any fluidity ala Richmond to be goal side of our opponents.

On a side note, we have to give credit where it is due. Richmond's transitional play was excellent.

Brown in the ruck is utterly egregious

First genuine star key forward in a long time and we seem intent on ruining him by having him bang a surgically reconstructed knee into another 110kg bloke 65 times a game

Instead of sticking him in the goalsquare one out with little blokes at his feet

Not rocket surgery

On a side note, we have to give credit where it is due. Richmond's transitional play was excellent.
Have to agree. Their ability to outnumber us down back and then slingshot with precision, even matching player for player inside their forward 50 was top notch. Where were our boys?
Makes me wonder whether we were fit enough or got sick and tired of chasing. Hoping the latter but what mindset does that give for who wants a game in a couple weeks. Higher standards and whatnot.
Plenty to think about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back