Joe Russo wants on the board

Remove this Banner Ad

looks a better appointment than joe doesn't he, and from the same industry, albeit quite a few rungs above where joe operates

sorry joey
Really don't know how you can say that. I've gate crashed and posted in this thread once before, only because I've had a bit to do with Joe Russo. I don't know too many people who are 'a few rungs above where he operates'. Or above him for that matter. The Richmond Board should be delighted he's put his hand up and I don't understand why they're not. Anyway,he'd make things happen for Richmond and I don't know that's in my best interests :)

Really don't know how you can say that. I've gate crashed and posted in this thread once before, only because I've had a bit to do with Joe Russo. I don't know too many people who are 'a few rungs above where he operates'. Or above him for that matter. The Richmond Board should be delighted he's put his hand up and I don't understand why they're not. Anyway,he'd make things happen for Richmond and I don't know that's in my best interests :)
Did you read the write up on O'Rourke?

Well, I would not worry too much, there could be more momentum for change in the next few years if things do not turn for the better in terms of the trajectory and forward outlook. Board members can only ride on the coat tails of high draft picks for so long particularly if they add very little in terms of performance delivery.

In a way, coming in in the next few years might be better if bigger changes are required and the momentum for something new is strongly desired in terms of strategy and direction without throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Stability can be preached all one likes but hope and performance is what drive membership interest

Last edited:

Had a few Joe (good Kiwi whites, live in Thailand so its hot..), but i hope you've read my previous posts... maybe 4 years ago i also thought of returning to OZ and putting my name up...

I think the board has done well and your comments above about only break even is political and incorrect, as investment into areas (footy deprament/VFL, GGI, etc) we dont understand as P& L is not visable, i do agree with tennure at board level, should be at best 6-9 years and the fact that there is low attendance from a few is aweful and complacent..

I think i will vote for you as long as you dont de-stabilise the board, as you should well know, you only win as a group... What most ppl dont understand is Benny is an employee, he reports to the board, he has a vote (on most things but not everything) but essentially he is an employee and ppl like Joe and Peggy etc dont get paid.. You do it for the love, and some the face and political benefits... Not one have i see Joe mention his business and push that side, so you have my vote mate, your just one of nine...

Personally i want you within the legal boundaries get the a grade recruits with our war chest... Lets win a flag in the next 1-4 years or multiple

Thanks for the support mate, like those Kiwi whites as well, good on you mate. Let me tell you in development you can only work as a team and that's exactly what I will be doing if I'm elected. Thanks for the vote - Joe.

Excuse me for being a bit skeptical. A St Kilda supporter that hadn't posted in 5 years with 32 posts to their name. 3 posts this week, 2 supporting Joe?? Now I don't post a lot, but something isn't sitting right here...

Excuse me for being a bit skeptical. A St Kilda supporter that hadn't posted in 5 years with 32 posts to their name. 3 posts this week, 2 supporting Joe?? Now I don't post a lot, but something isn't sitting right here...

Nothing to get paranoid about here. Didn't have internet connection for a year or two out here in the bush. I'm a lurker. Definitely not on the payroll.

Those other 2 robots have been there long enough. Let them return to their counting pennies at Comm bank Cranbourne jobs :drunk:

you are aware one of them was an independent who contested a seat just like Joe is now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's supremely ironic that a lot of malcontents unhappy with the club's media spin articles on richmondfc.com.au are so readily buying into the platitudes and cliches of a 3 minute video giving no concrete details of what Joe wishes to do and what the board are doing wrong presently.

Like others have said, I am happy to vote for Joe and admire his conviction and his personality, and agree that the board might potentially need a bit of a diversification of skills, but without knowing the specifics you're really looking for change just for change's sake.

I think it's supremely ironic that a lot of malcontents unhappy with the club's media spin articles on richmondfc.com.au are so readily buying into the platitudes and cliches of a 3 minute video giving no concrete details of what Joe wishes to do and what the board are doing wrong presently.

Like others have said, I am happy to vote for Joe and admire his conviction and his personality, and agree that the board might potentially need a bit of a diversification of skills, but without knowing the specifics you're really looking for change just for change's sake.

I tend to agree. While I'm glad enterprising folks such as Joe are pushing for a position on the board I haven't seen or heard nearly enough to think that changing things at this point is the right idea.

Nothing to get paranoid about here. Didn't have internet connection for a year or two out here in the bush. I'm a lurker. Definitely not on the payroll.

No internet? Where the * are you ? Port moresby?

Regardless of whether Joe is successful with nomination for the club Board, I would like to take the opportunity to say thank you for being prepared to have a go.
To be prepared to donate so much time and energy to the club, I think speaks volumes for any nominee.

To put your hand in your pocket and generously assist in forming our Reserves team, among other much needed areas of the club, shows a lot of passion and a willingness to get things moving that will assist our on field performances. It's not the be all and end all, but it does display a man of means who can identify areas that need attention and puts his money where his mouth is. The end result is a big bonus for all the passionate supporters, especially as our Reserve team develops further. Absolutely huge for player development.

Hopefully, a collective refreshed board can identify areas for future investment. Financially and in a football sense.
If Joe isn't successful this time around, I hope it doesn't diminish his passion and generosity to the club. Alternatively, I hope the Board can recognise we have some business people who have the drive to see us succeed and the know how to implement strategies for investment, growth and attracting people (and players) to our club. Just because you're a Board member doesn't mean you have all the answers. So perhaps a sub committee can be formed that attracts and encourages these people to contribute in a more formal sense than just donating money, even though that is important in itself. I believe there may be many astute people who may be able to contribute, even on a part time basis as no doubt being on a club Board does have demands on their time.

Pretty obvious if you're not content with the stagnant past 4 years ,then you would be looking for another solution.:straining:
This is more to the point:thumbsu:

Joe,

Q What would you do that would entice other players here, that the club isn't doing that you know of?

Q What would you do that would increase our on field performance, that the club isn't doing now?

I think a lot of posters would like to know the ideas you have in these areas.

Thanks for making contact. It’s great to be able communicate directly with the Richmond faithful…..

Any attempts to entice players to Punt Road would have to be done in absolute accordance with the AFL rules. We should be targeting elite free agents now for the 2016 transfer period and developing strategies to make sure they land with the Tigers. The AFL have range of innovative arrangements in place to allow this to happen. We need to understand what can or can’t be done and work closely with the leading player managers to ensure it does.

Equally important is creating a culture which is so good, so focused on success that means our players want to stay at Punt Road but players at other clubs want to join us.

It was a real blow when we missed out on Adam Treloar. We targeted him but were not good enough to land him.

Off-the-field, I would be bringing the experience I have accumulated in over nearly 20 years of running my own business into the RFC environment. I hate complacency and would be asking a series of questions:

· What do we need to do to increase football department spending given we are now 8th on the AFL ladder in that area?

· Is it acceptable that we made a $450,000 profit when we hear about all the great steps we have made off-the-field? I don’t think so.

· Why hasn’t our Board adopted best practice and introduced maximum terms for our directors. 3 X 3 X 3 year terms is enough (it’s good enough for Hawthorn). More than half of our Board has been in place for more than a decade.

· Does the Club understand the power of social media in communicating to members, fans and other key stakeholders. Clearly not. I sell around 700 residential apartments a year in Melbourne off the back of sophisticated social media strategies. This know-how could provide the Club real uplift in the areas of membership retention and growth, merchandise sales and sponsor engagement. There is no doubt we can be doing more in these areas.

These are some of my ideas. Always a pleasure to speak to committed Richmond people. Cheers, Joe

Thanks for making contact. It’s great to be able communicate directly with the Richmond faithful…..

Any attempts to entice players to Punt Road would have to be done in absolute accordance with the AFL rules. We should be targeting elite free agents now for the 2016 transfer period and developing strategies to make sure they land with the Tigers. The AFL have range of innovative arrangements in place to allow this to happen. We need to understand what can or can’t be done and work closely with the leading player managers to ensure it does.

Equally important is creating a culture which is so good, so focused on success that means our players want to stay at Punt Road but players at other clubs want to join us.

It was a real blow when we missed out on Adam Treloar. We targeted him but were not good enough to land him.

Off-the-field, I would be bringing the experience I have accumulated in over nearly 20 years of running my own business into the RFC environment. I hate complacency and would be asking a series of questions:

· What do we need to do to increase football department spending given we are now 8th on the AFL ladder in that area?

· Is it acceptable that we made a $450,000 profit when we hear about all the great steps we have made off-the-field? I don’t think so.

· Why hasn’t our Board adopted best practice and introduced maximum terms for our directors. 3 X 3 X 3 year terms is enough (it’s good enough for Hawthorn). More than half of our Board has been in place for more than a decade.

· Does the Club understand the power of social media in communicating to members, fans and other key stakeholders. Clearly not. I sell around 700 residential apartments a year in Melbourne off the back of sophisticated social media strategies. This know-how could provide the Club real uplift in the areas of membership retention and growth, merchandise sales and sponsor engagement. There is no doubt we can be doing more in these areas.

These are some of my ideas. Always a pleasure to speak to committed Richmond people. Cheers, Joe
Good luck Joe, you got my vote, we need tougher KPIs in the football department, whilst Im all for stability, it can be taken too far into stagnation.

And youre quite right the balance sheet can be manipulated to read what they want us to read.

As for Adam treloar, his comments about Collingwood wanting flags and us ...well that to me encapsulates the way the club is run, we are aiming for strength off the field when we should be aiming for success on it.

Last edited:

kudos for the effort and for having a go. We always work within the AFL rules, even without Joe Russo to start that process. We have a solid track record of targeting free agents more than 12 months ahead of time. We don't need Joe Russo to start that process. The club is No.1 in the competition in social media, top 4 in video views. The club has increased it's membership from 36,000 to 73,000 in a few years, the fact that you don't think the clubs media department isn't doing a good job is insulting to the people working in our media department. I'm pretty sure our club even started some new initiatives in social media that all clubs now follow. I still don't see it Joe. The club is already doing what you're suggesting they do. Creating a revolving door for board members to only last three years works for Hawthorn, but why do we need to copy Hawthorn? If you've got some amazing ideas, I still can't read em.

Regardless of whether Joe is successful with nomination for the club Board, I would like to take the opportunity to say thank you for being prepared to have a go.
To be prepared to donate so much time and energy to the club, I think speaks volumes for any nominee.

To put your hand in your pocket and generously assist in forming our Reserves team, among other much needed areas of the club, shows a lot of passion and a willingness to get things moving that will assist our on field performances. It's not the be all and end all, but it does display a man of means who can identify areas that need attention and puts his money where his mouth is. The end result is a big bonus for all the passionate supporters, especially as our Reserve team develops further. Absolutely huge for player development.

Hopefully, a collective refreshed board can identify areas for future investment. Financially and in a football sense.
If Joe isn't successful this time around, I hope it doesn't diminish his passion and generosity to the club. Alternatively, I hope the Board can recognise we have some business people who have the drive to see us succeed and the know how to implement strategies for investment, growth and attracting people (and players) to our club. Just because you're a Board member doesn't mean you have all the answers. So perhaps a sub committee can be formed that attracts and encourages these people to contribute in a more formal sense than just donating money, even though that is important in itself. I believe there may be many astute people who may be able to contribute, even on a part time basis as no doubt being on a club Board does have demands on their time.

Like the idea of the subcommittee, more people getting together and sharing ideas - I’ve certainly found in my business a good idea can lead to a great idea and a bad idea can lead to a good idea by putting heads together.

Don’t worry I’ll be sponsoring the reserves again next year, will always be a true tiger - looking forward to 2016 season.

Thanks for your support mate.

- Joe

Thanks Joe for your contribution and commentary. Great you're having a go. I just wanted to put some further clarity around your aims and strategies above.

Missing Treloar was disappointing, but I believe we controlled all we could in the process. Other external "uncontrollable" factors will become known in the fullness of time. Dan Richardson's experience in both player management and now Club Football make him perfectly placed to understand the opportunities available to the Club under free agency and the general AFL player framework. And Dan reports to the Board.

As the Undertaker outlines, the Club ranks top 2 in digital media engagement, and he further breaks down the categories above. Yes it would be nice to be No 1, and we should strive for that, but we're doing much right in that space, with increased returns.

As for Hawthorn, Andrew Newbold was a board member in 2004 when I worked with their board. He's obviously the current President and I don't believe he's going anywhere next year, which will probably be his 13th year on the Hawks board. It's just my personal view, but I hate the phrase best practice. The Hawks are certainly best practice in terms of football and financial outcomes, but there are no hard and fast best practice rules on board tenure. Tenure depends on many things including strategy alignment, skills and individual board member performance. Yes Hawthorn have reinvigorated their board regularly, and we added two new board members just yesterday.

Haere Ra

Remove this Banner Ad

Back