News Johansen moves to Glenelg... Noooooooooo! :'(

Remove this Banner Ad

Not AFL standard, 18 clubs made that clear.
Enjoy a long and healthy SANFL career jake and good luck with your apprenticeship as a welder or a plumber or a skinny roof tiler or whatever ends up being your 9-5.
No one can say they'd prefer this kid in the mags side over any listed AFL player.

Our salary restrictions mean we can pay him barely enough to cover his petrol to the game.

The kicker is we're effectively paying his new salary at Glenelg through the SANFL's monstrous cut of our stadium deal.

Our salary restrictions mean we can pay him barely enough to cover his petrol to the game.

The kicker is we're effectively paying his new salary at Glenelg through the SANFL's monstrous cut of our stadium deal.

I want to like that because you are correct but I hate what you wrote so I can't.

I'm so conflicted.

I want to like that because you are correct but I hate what you wrote so I can't.

I'm so conflicted.
Good decision, Foot has confirmed auto account-deactivation for anyone who likes the post as they are confirmed to be SANFL hussies

Would he get a game with the power reserves, I think not.
Probably not a popular opinion but he's been incredibly lucky in my opinion to get games for the Maggies seniors over the last couple years anyway. Didn't deserve games in 2013 when he was first given them, and still really hadn't earnt them this year. Kid's way too small and adds little value at all at senior level. Good luck to him at Glenelg but I find it hard to even see him making their senior side.

Does Fair Work Australia still exist? They should have a look at the pay restrictions on these players - they are SANFL players, not AFL!

Ran into him at a function I attended this year Without knowing who he was

very much thought he was going to get drafted and his afl career will set him up

Good riddance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant blame any of the lads for leaving when they only get $400 a game.Blame the lame ass SANFL cronies,the Magpies are long gone and are now the power reserves.

Very sad , he's a fantastic lad and been a Port lad through and through . Under the Sanfl imposed conditions there will be in the future less and less local lads wanting to have a crack with the Power seconds ,and so called academy. For me sadly i must now say , abandon this Port Maggies experiment , its not the same as it was , not our club's fault though , that belongs with the Sanfl who oneday will hopefully come to regret there stance.

This will become a regular thing.

Kids stay at Port for 2 or 3 years - trying to get best out of being involved in an AFL club and
1. good enough to get drafted - we lose them - one day they might came back like Ebo or
2. dont get drafted - so will probably go elsewhere to get more opportunity or earn more $$.

such is life for us in our unique situation.

This will become a regular thing.

Kids stay at Port for 2 or 3 years - trying to get best out of being involved in an AFL club and
1. good enough to get drafted - we lose them - one day they might came back like Ebo or
2. dont get drafted - so will probably go elsewhere to get more opportunity or earn more $$.

such is life for us in our unique situation.
Thats true , but it still p@#s's me off , Kochy was right when he asked the question , why ?

Please , don't berate the lad, this was a very very hard decision for him to make. The family (including me the Uncle) is quite supportive in his endeavours to play at the highest level available.
If you need to vent anguish PM me not Jake , I have a hard head
i agree some of the comments are disgraceful, rubbish that he didnt deserve a game etc. the bloke can play and will be a star at glenelg. will show up some of the 'listed' players we have this year, no doubt about it.

i agree some of the comments are disgraceful, rubbish that he didnt deserve a game etc. the bloke can play and will be a star at glenelg. will show up some of the 'listed' players we have this year, no doubt about it.
I and a fair few others have thought that over the last couple of years , that some listed guys could'nt hack it at Sanfl level , and how the hell did they get drafted ?. The thought that some MUST be played before a talented local does'nt sit well i can tell you.

I and a fair few others have thought that over the last couple of years , that some listed guys could'nt hack it at Sanfl level , and how the hell did they get drafted ?. The thought that some MUST be played before a talented local does'nt sit well i can tell you.
yes its a dodgy rule and really cost us a premiership this year.

I was shocked as well at some of the comments, my wife summed it up ----GREEN EYES.
I can't follow the Bays
been a Magpie since '63.
But how ironic , the first game , the olde man took my brother & I , we watched Port ( led by Geoff Motley) play Glenelg @ Glenelg.

The ruling stinks, BUT it is something the club agreed to ,
in my opinion not really seeing the ramifications of it down the track,
how many is this now had to change clubs to get a Senior game or a decent chance, 6----8 ???? At least they never went to to Amatures (nothing wrong with that) does show it wasn't for the money.
SANFL will really shoot their feet off one day when more clubs need / have to merge , with no one playing in their sandpit.

Very sorry but some bloggers here have short memories

He won ports u18 b&f as a 15/16 y.o.

Then 2013 he won best first year player in League as an u16/17 y.o.
He is only moving because Power now have 46 on list and no injuries.
Seriously would u play Reserves if fit and ready, but no spots available in League? Be realistic about it !

Three clubs chased him. He never approached anyone.
Settled with Glenelg because his Uncle John McFarlane played 306 games for them.

Get off his case. -----
You would not forgo a possible $300 a week in your salary just because there are no injuries in Power.

Do the maths.

Power need 4 injuries for even Summo to get a game.

The Magpie top up players are just that. Only play when a spot is available.

Jake loves the club but as a kid just left year 12 & going into the work force he needs to earn money. No ones fault. It is the system. Same reason all the others left.

SO BLAME THE SYSTEM & SANFL for being sooooooo short sight and Green Eyed for what Port have achieved over the 145 years . He won't be the last in the coming years. We march to the home games ,
about time a March on SANFL HQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back