Traded #27: Jonathan Giles - Traded to The West Coast with pick 62 for pick 57

Remove this Banner Ad

He'll be our main ruck with Belly pinch hitting, book it. Freaking love this lumberjack!

who would be a better forward between TBC and Giles?

I think Bellchambers is the better forward but I don't see them playing in the same team together unless Daniher or Carlisle are injured/suspended.

I am so relieved we picked up another ruck. We didn't give up anything of worth either. I'd still like to see us look at another rookie ruck later on but at least between Bellchambers/Giles and then Daniher as a decent cover second ruck we don't look too bad. Plus we know Carlisle can play ruck for a few games if worst comes to worst (obviously that's a lousy scenario for us but at least we know we have that backup).

We will be pretty tall when all of Bellchambers/Giles/Daniher/Carlisle play together but as Daniher/Carlisle become better players i think it will be less of an issue as they will attract a lot of attention. Plus the 3 tall type forwards works ok for a number of sides - its more about the quality of the players not just their movement speed.

who would be a better forward between TBC and Giles?
I'd say both are B-Grade forwards, but Bellchambers is better in the ruck.

tumblr_lxqx1m3LKy1qj26eao1_400.gif

Do you think he will definitely play with TBell? Means We'd have to fit Bellchambers, Carlisle and Daniher into the same forward line, as well as Ambrose...

I'm not sure you would take both of them into games every week.. but it certainly gives us 'cover' if we go up against a tandem ruck duo OR one gets injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't gotten the chance to see much of this guy but his stats seem solid. Footy wire says he got 7 Brownlow votes in his rookie season in 2012? not bad at all.

Haven't gotten the chance to see much of this guy but his stats seem solid. Footy wire says he got 7 Brownlow votes in his rookie season in 2012? not bad at all.
Club rated him really highly in 2011 and were going to recruit him... GWS beat us to the punch..

Can play up forward and ruck.. not sure if we can fit both Tbell and Giles into the team.. but Giles is a very good ruck.. and I expect competition for a spot in the 22 to be fierce.. wouldn't be surprised if Giles ends up taking a spot in the best 22 which will allow Daniher to stay forward.. and young Ambrose loses his position...

Honestly I think we can comfortably fit both in the side. Neither are useless as forwards - matter of fact Bellchambers has often been a rather effective forward.

But this is what preseason is for - figure it out :)

Presuming we only play 2 (+ 1 ruck), who misses out between Carlisle, Daniher, Ambrose?
Ambrose you'd assume.

My old man told me Leek was once the tallest player in the VFL. Seen you guys talking about him so I did a quick google. He was only 194cm haha. How times have changed

Hird influential in Giles decision
Shane Potter October 24, 2014 8:00 AM

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2014-10-24/hird-influential-in-giles-decision

New recruit Jonathan Giles has revealed coach James Hird’s vision for the future convinced him he wanted to continue his career at Essendon.

Giles was traded to the Bombers from Greater Western Sydney in exchange for pick 53 in the recent trade period.

Speaking for the first time since joining the club the 26-year-old has opened up on his reasons for choosing to make the True Value Solar Centre his new home.

“Making my decision to leave the Giants was a hard decision but to come to the Bombers I am really excited to get here,” Giles told essendonfc.com.au.

“I spoke to James (Hird) in the lead up to making the decision and he really won me over in terms of the direction that he wants to take this club.

“I really wanted to be a part of that journey and where the Bombers are going to go so it is exciting to officially get to the club and now I look forward to the move to Melbourne.”

After four seasons without a game on Port Adelaide’s list Giles joined Essendon for pre-season training before later being recruited to the Giants.

He became an important part of the Giants set up during their first three seasons in the competition playing 51 games for the start up club.

“The big guys, especially ruckman take longer to develop and I spent four years on Port Adelaide’s list until I was a 21 year old before I went to the Giants when my body felt like it was maturing a lot.”

“I now feel that I have played a few years in the AFL and the body is starting to get used to the week in and week out rigours of playing AFL football.

“I am looking forward to what is ahead of me so I am ready for a big pre-season to get the body in tip top shape to get ready for the pre-season.”

Standing 201cm the South Australian has shown an ability to move forward kicking 39 goals during his time with the Giants.

Giles looks forward to forming a formidable ruck partnership in the red and black alongside Tom Bellchambers.

“All ruckman have to have a couple of strings to their bow and that is why I like to play up forward as well as in the ruck,” he said.

“I am looking forward to making a good combination with Tommy Bellchambers in the ruck and up forward working alongside him.”

james-hird-o.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back