Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

During 2022 and even the back end of 2021 I actually remember watching King on Fox Footy and he was being super positive with us and our ball movement. There was several weeks there where we strung a few interstate wins together and he was well and truly on our bandwagon.
I think you might need to look at the tapes again. Montagna was positive, King tight lipped. I don't think I've ever heard him being unconditionally positive to Freo.

SO, looks like JL took the incentive offer that Acres turned down.

What do we think, Finals this year, +1 year? Prelim +2?

I dont think it's a co-incidence the people that dont like it all basically dont like JL as a coach(which I understand) and realistically just want him gone. Given it's an easy talking point (1 year deals are rare) it's an easy shot for King and Cornes to have a quick easy opinion and get a few clicks. That will blow over.

The triggers make it perfect IMO. The contract is at minimum much less of a distraction for all involved (and King is full of shit saying the players dont care, what a load of crap). If we perform well, his extension is locked in, if we dont, we can still boot him with minimal fuss.

Last edited:
I dont think it's a co-incidence the people that dont like it all basically dont like JL as a coach(which I understand) and realistically just want him gone. Given it's an easy talking about (1 year deals are rare) it's an easy shot for King and Cornes to have a quick easy opinion and get a few clicks. That will blow over.

The triggers make it perfect IMO. The contract is at minimum much less of a distraction for all involved (and King is full of s**t saying the players dont care, what a load of crap). If we perform well, his extension is locked in, if we dont, we can still boot him with minimal fuss.
Yeah, thought that was much more an indictment on him tbh. Happy to run around getting a pay cheque. Kinda like his media work.

I dont think it's a co-incidence the people that dont like it all basically dont like JL as a coach(which I understand) and realistically just want him gone. Given it's an easy talking about (1 year deals are rare) it's an easy shot for King and Cornes to have a quick easy opinion and get a few clicks. That will blow over.

The triggers make it perfect IMO. The contract is at minimum much less of a distraction for all involved (and King is full of s**t saying the players dont care, what a load of crap). If we perform well, his extension is locked in, if we dont, we can still boot him with minimal fuss.
It's entirely consistent with everything else the club has done for some time now.

I wasn't a fan of the extension at this stage but hearing Jlo on the radio this morning sounds like he's got an edge that I haven't heard before. Hope that's a change of mindset and he & team go gang busters from here.

This is what I was expecting, if the club combined the incentives with a limit on payout (eg. 6 months) if we bomb out in 2024 then I'd say that's a win/win.

We believe in what you're doing, but you have to deliver - simple.

You'd expect something like 1-3 years extra based on making finals and winning some.
As a side note if you were JLo you wouldn't actually want a trigger for a premiership, you'd want to renegotiate at that point.
agree with this. it's anti-dockery. It rewards success and failure will clearly be acted upon (it's no 3 year Hinkley extension). Isn't that what we want. I think we will start slowly and build through for a strong finish to the season. Would we want no extension and the media and the negatives on here baying for blood by week 6 which could completely derail that strong finish going into next year if the players and club had to see back page bashing week after week like they did to get Ross out.

Ignoring the outside noise is definitely necessary for evaluating this decision. Too many people either with axes to grind or low hanging fruit to pick has left a lot of external analysis over a lot of things at our club rather meaningless/untrustworthy.

On the surface it appears like we've chosen the third of 2 options. What it hasn't done is get the press and external pressure off our back, it has brought it all the more into focus which is generally what tends to happen when you take a half measure on an issue that is receiving a lot of scrutiny. In that respect it's a fail at this current point in time.

It seems like Longmuir has quite a brilliant mind for the game and internally they seem to rate him very highly. I like the idea of giving him this year stress free to see improvement. It's a pretty sensible, mature and rational thing to do when a young team goes backwards after a breakthrough year. You have to ignore the public discourse to make good decisions and quite frankly the discourse in this thread is f***ing atrocious, I'd hope they'd ignore it entirely.

I don't mind it overall. It's proactive yet sensible. It's up to the players to get it right if they want him to remain. Stuff the noise, their destiny is back in their hands for now

It makes a lot more sense with the triggers in place and I am now moved from indifferent to in favour of the contract.

That is quite separate from the clubs PR and Comms team messing this up. It would have been easy for them to announce a one year extension with performance triggers for further extensions. That would have cut through a lot of noise.

Happy with the decision now. Off to the Optimism thread to add to our list of reasons for optimism.

No-one really would look at having slow movement as "the way we play". It can come as a result of other strategies (eg cautious exit of defence)... as the opposition works you out, or as your players try to work the plan out. Teams (ie coaches) maybe more accepting of slow movement, but they'd rather just have their own way...slow or fast.

Whereas fast ball movement embraces the chaos that comes with it. You move the ball fast and have the plan worked to cover the eventualities of doing that, rather than the other way round. It makes it hard to implement any plans to counter it, because it happens so fast.
With respect to game plan, the whole fast v slow ball movement is a bit of a furphy. It's better thought of as control v chaos (or risk, maybe). Control tends to slow things down, but can also result in fairly quick ball movement when skills are sharp and every one is in step with each other. Cf. 2013 Hawthorne carving through the middle with rapid 12m kick-marks.

I think you might need to look at the tapes again. Montagna was positive, King tight lipped. I don't think I've ever heard him being unconditionally positive to Freo.

"I don't trust Fremantle" I think was the line he used to avoid being positive about Freo. He did have some nice things to say when we beat Melbourne and Geelong at their home grounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A weaker mind would refuse to agree with someone due to previous bias.

I am not a fan of King, and I can see his point on this one, which isn't something I think I have said before.

There were a lot of posters here saying it was good because it would take pressure off. Which is agreeing that it was a tactical PR move.

Re. King's "PR stunt gone wrong", what I react to is not his description of it being PR, but of it having "gone wrong", in that it hasn't gone or doesn't go "wrong" until he declares it to have done so. Its going wrong is defined by it failing to be taken at face value, which — let's face it — is pretty much the fate of any announcement by the club, if King has any say in it. Which he does. Always. In saying it's a "PR stunt gone wrong", he's just talking about himself (again).

The other thing to keep in mind is that, in the field of public relations, it's implicitly understood that there is no "public" but, rather, many "publics". In the knowledge that King (and multiple media voices) will happily criticise any move/announcement by the club, I imagine that the public that the extension is aimed at is not solely or even primarily the public implied in phrases like "PR stunt gone wrong" but rather several key internal publics (e.g. players), who have now have had any concerns/doubts about the club's plans answered for them.

I think David King is a very loyal man, deep in the fabric of him, below the intellectual level and I think when he sent Ross Lyon a text message or called him he usually got a response in some fashion that gave him something to work with.

So when Freo fired Lyon King found himself positioned on the other side of the fence and the higher brain functions just followed on.

I took the post in the vein of David King finding negatives out of anything that happens at Fremantle, regardless of whether it's a good thing or not. So the conflation is with the good news about the end of WW2 and King's negative spin on that, but your point is taken.
So that's post of the year material, then? It's going to be a funny old year

With respect to game plan, the whole fast v slow ball movement is a bit of a furphy. It's better thought of as control v chaos (or risk, maybe). Control tends to slow things down, but can also result in fairly quick ball movement when skills are sharp and every one is in step with each other. Cf. 2013 Hawthorne carving through the middle with rapid 12m kick-marks.
Everyone wants control. It's more how, how much, when, what to get. Possessing the ball doesn't necessarily mean you have control in reality.

Fast ball movement can very much be a goal. Slow ball movement isn't a goal for a game plan (maybe a strategy at times), but a symptom.

Fast ball movement can very much be a goal. Slow ball movement isn't a goal for a game plan (maybe a strategy at times), but a symptom.
I'm agreeing with you on this. On control, I'm talking about method rather than aim.

The triggers only make sense (and are congruent with a sensible strategy) if they relate to 2024 outcomes. If they're linked to 2025 outcomes no.

Everyone wants control. It's more how, how much, when, what to get. Possessing the ball doesn't necessarily mean you have control in reality.

Most clubs want control coming out of the back half which can depend on how you get the ball in hand in the first place. This will dictate whether you can move the ball a bit faster or have to work it.
There will generally be a point in that movement when there will be a trigger to go faster & you’ll have runners going by. We won’t have a runner going by in d50 because we’re not set up for that down the field & will most likely turn it over with no defensive structure in place.
The runners will start to become an option more as we get closer to the centre of the field & hopefully in the corridor.

I think David King is a very loyal man, deep in the fabric of him, below the intellectual level and I think when he sent Ross Lyon a text message or called him he usually got a response in some fashion that gave him something to work with.

So when Freo fired Lyon King found himself positioned on the other side of the fence and the higher brain functions just followed on.
Ross being coach didn't seem to have any affect on King's attitude to Freo I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back