Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

If the extension didn't happen after every loss the journalists would have written - Longmuir, who is out of contract at seasons end....

Now every article after a loss will say - Longmuir, who was controversially re-signed for 1 season before round one.....

The board have just put pressure on themselves as well as JLo with such a limp decision.

If we’re stacking the losses to the point where that is happening, then either way, he’s not our guy and we should cut our losses. A one year extension or not shouldn’t change that.

Anyway the board and the club think things have been tracking well this offseason and I’m going to be optimistic and believe them so hopefully JL will come through and it won’t come to that.

Last edited:
He’s had long enough. We know what we’re getting. Why is the mindset at Freo ‘it has to be Justin and nobody else?’. If he had a poor start to this season he could have been replaced, but they’ve taken that off the table completely. JLO is not someone who inspires excitement and we play like he speaks.

Pretty interesting timing.

We're only hours away from the first real test against an AFL opposition, a time when almost unanimously clubs are in the 'finding out' phase and the club has seemingly decided that results be damned, we're extending now anyway.

Kind of proves the point some on here have been saying (Joao for example) that he's safer than the general public thinks. But it simultaneously proves the point that those of us who think he's been wrong from the start have been trying to make is that they are measuring something different to us.

I think this just highlights that the Dockers don't have 'win the flag' as a goal at the start of each pre-season. 'Win the flag next year' is probably the most accurate way to describe it. It feels like the club thinks that this group of players is so good that once they reach the magical age and games of experience intersection on a graph they will suddenly be able to contend and a flag is inevitable.

I'll be interested to see how they go on the weekend, winning is the only way the noise actually goes away.

King or dunce, you take your clips and your buckets. - even though the board does have a pretty good knack for talking their way out of trouble.

Pretty interesting timing.

We're only hours away from the first real test against an AFL opposition, a time when almost unanimously clubs are in the 'finding out' phase and the club has seemingly decided that results be damned, we're extending now anyway.

Kind of proves the point some on here have been saying (Joao for example) that he's safer than the general public thinks. But it simultaneously proves the point that those of us who think he's been wrong from the start have been trying to make is that they are measuring something different to us.

I think this just highlights that the Dockers don't have 'win the flag' as a goal at the start of each pre-season. 'Win the flag next year' is probably the most accurate way to describe it. It feels like the club thinks that this group of players is so good that once they reach the magical age and games of experience intersection on a graph they will suddenly be able to contend and a flag is inevitable.

I'll be interested to see how they go on the weekend, winning is the only way the noise actually goes away.

King or dunce, you take your clips and your buckets. - even though the board does have a pretty good knack for talking their way out of trouble.
This.

It feels like the club is waiting for a premiership to come to us, rather than actively making changes to achieve one - at least from the outside.

This.

It feels like the club is waiting for a premiership to come to us, rather than actively making changes to achieve one - at least from the outside.
Not sure I agree with some of this. Let’s be realistic, Clubs don’t expect to win a flag every year.

The preferred method for sustained success with a window for multiple flags is via a strategic plan , usually 5 years.

All that has happened here is the coach has been signed for the extra year to help see out the year 4 and 5 of the clubs strategic plan. 2021 - 2025. Yes they could of waited further into the season but that is not as supportive and the club is all in on the vision and goals

This from 2021:
Fremantle CEO Simon Garlick said the Strategic Plan would help all players, coaches and staff to work together with a shared purpose.

“We think it’s really important that we as a Club are all aligned, not only on the direction of the Club, but in our Purpose, Vision and Anchors,” Garlick said.

If you classified AFL head coaches as a type of bread, Justin Longmuir is plain ol’ white sandwich…

1710531372203.png

So one thing that slipped my mind (brought up by Craig Odonoghe into he west today) is this extension bring jlo to the end of the initial 2025 premiership plan. Only fair I guess.
Yes. I was having a chat yesterday about it with a colleague. It's basically a 'new' 3 year deal announced at the start of the season.

Actually makes a lot more sense now. As an added bonus, it makes Kingy look like a complete ass hat.

Yes. I was having a chat yesterday about it with a colleague. It's basically a 'new' 3 year deal announced at the start of the season.

Actually makes a lot more sense now. As an added bonus, it makes Kingy look like a complete ass hat.

Sounds like there’s some triggers in this deal tbh.

JL might not still be coach next coach season if we have a poor year but he’ll get himself a payout.

If we have a good year he’s probably extended much longer than 2025.

If we do okay (i.e. not good enough to hit triggers but not poor enough to get him sacked) he’s still with us next season.

Only really the third scenario doesn’t improve JL’s situation tbh - We probably would’ve given him two years if we have an Adelaide 2023 type season for example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think from now on, anyone who complains about slow movement with down the line bombs and switches needs to watch the Sydney and Collingwood and tell me with a straight face Sydney doesn’t play the exact same way.

The difference is execution and contest which is exactly what JL goes on about all the time

I think from now on, anyone who complains about slow movement with down the line bombs and switches needs to watch the Sydney and Collingwood and tell me with a straight face Sydney doesn’t play the exact same way.

The difference is execution and contest which is exactly what JL goes on about all the time
Yeah i thought that a few times. The difference was the pies werent able to mark the long bombs and Sydney set up at the drop of the ball to create options.

So either its
A) Our players havent been taught how to do that yet.
B) They cant execute it properly

Yeah i thought that a few times. The difference was the pies werent able to mark the long bombs and Sydney set up at the drop of the ball to create options.

So either its
A) Our players havent been taught how to do that yet.
B) They cant execute it properly
And to be clear, I’m not absolving JL of blame here just that criticism of the game plan is lazy and knob jockeys like King going on and on about need to shut up.

If JL can’t get them playing executing correctly that’s still a coach problem but can we stop with the lazy calls about the plan itself

Sure both teams do it but they also take the game on when required. It's a balance that we didn't have last season.

Sure both teams do it but they also take the game on when required. It's a balance that we didn't have last season.
You’ve got to be set up down the field otherwise you’ll just hit a brick wall if you go fast from D50 every time & you will turn it straight back over. Collingwood did it time & time again last night with Sydney set up for it.

I think you’ll find more clubs will control the ball from the back half & then look to move it quickly once they get to the centre of the field with the forwards given every opportunity to work back into space to either tick & hit up or use the space behind.

You can definitely do it off a turnover when the opposition have committed forward on attack, eg McDonalds goals in the goal square but from a stop possession, not so much. That’s exactly how Sydney played it last night.

Couldn't disagree more. Longmire is one of the most flexible coaches in the AFL (along with Mitchell and Bevo but they're pale imitations of Horse). His teams have typically had a plan B, C and D and the capacity to competently execute different plans depending on the ground and the opponent. Which makes sense, since they couldn't play how they play at the SCG on some other grounds.
He is the bizzaro Longmuir. They'll play differntly next week than they did last night.

Not sure I agree with some of this. Let’s be realistic, Clubs don’t expect to win a flag every year.

The preferred method for sustained success with a window for multiple flags is via a strategic plan , usually 5 years.

All that has happened here is the coach has been signed for the extra year to help see out the year 4 and 5 of the clubs strategic plan. 2021 - 2025. Yes they could of waited further into the season but that is not as supportive and the club is all in on the vision and goals

This from 2021:
Fremantle CEO Simon Garlick said the Strategic Plan would help all players, coaches and staff to work together with a shared purpose.

“We think it’s really important that we as a Club are all aligned, not only on the direction of the Club, but in our Purpose, Vision and Anchors,” Garlick said.

No plan of operations extends with certainty beyond the first encounter with the enemy's main strength.

They should be setting themselves up for a crack at a flag every single year regardless of whether they expect it to be a realistic possibility because the opportunity just might present itself. Our whole board keeps going on about how we are too young every year but that's a choice; the club could choose to draft and play a bunch of men and at least give themselves a chance to wrestle it out but instead, they are gifting games to potentials because of an eventual flag.

Couldn't disagree more. Longmire is one of the most flexible coaches in the AFL (along with Mitchell and Bevo but they're pale imitations of Horse). His teams have typically had a plan B, C and D and the capacity to competently execute different plans depending on the ground and the opponent. Which makes sense, since they couldn't play how they play at the SCG on some other grounds.
He is the bizzaro Longmuir. They'll play differntly next week than they did last night.
What are his versions specifically of plan a,b,c&d?
Every team adjusts to their opponent & that becomes plan a on that day. They will adjust plan a if it’s not working but they don’t pull out a plan c out of their arse to execute it at any given moment.
They would have trained plan a all week with adjustments depending on specific events.
What makes him good his ability to defend opposition game styles, but they generally move the ball the same way otherwise there’d be no connection between mids & forwards. There needs to be some predictability for the forwards to operate.

Does that mean the slower controlled play is a good counter to the faster rebound style?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back