Remove this Banner Ad

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
What's with this guy? Is he the new Rutten or the old Reilly?
He's got the basics - good size and speed, good mark, accountable with a bit of rebound. But he falls over more than Dougy mark 1 and oh those 1st quarter clangers.:eek:

I think he's worth persevering with. He's got something and our only alternative tall is Luke Thompson anyway, but what's the verdict.

Maybe start him in the 2nd quarter...

He is 22.
He has played 9 AFL games.

I think he is going alright as a key defender considering. I get the impression that people are expecting way more from him because he has a big mature body, but again age 22, 9 AFL games played. He isn't spudding it up Nathan Bock style ala early 2000s.

Definite contender

IMO people seem to remember the couple things he may do wrong as a young player and seem to forget the many things he actually does right

When Trucks a memory Hartigan will still be here. Blokes that size are hard to find. He needs games, defensively he's going OK it's his decision making that is off at the moment. Sometimes takes the wrong option but he is definitely part of our future teams.

His last two games he's started poorly but then got a handle on it at quarter time and turned it around. That smother at the start of the second half when Beams (?) was attacking the Collingwood goal was a decisive act. Will make it.

Exactly the type of player we should persist with. If he can become our No 2 key back he could potentially save us a heap of money on the FA market and free us up to pursue another target.

Has started poorly the last three weeks then settled. We need to let him work through these early jitters.

His last two games he's started poorly but then got a handle on it at quarter time and turned it around. That smother at the start of the second half when Beams (?) was attacking the Collingwood goal was a decisive act. Will make it.

Let's not forget that even though he made two errors in the first qtr he also had 9 touches for the qtr which shows for a young defender that he does read the play well and gets himself in the right positions

I think he's worth persisting with. He has a lot to work on though. He needs to get better at reading the play. His first half against the Pies was pretty costly.

People take Rutten and Talia for granted and aren't used to seeing KPD's making a few mistakes, but he looks solid and should only get better considering his age and limited experience.

Truck and Talia are ridiculously good.

People are going to be unpleasantly surprised when Truck does go. Having that massive unit down there every week, almost never being beaten, is an incredibly rare, luxury.

Hartigan looking good so far; but I do wonder whether Luke T is the better option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he's worth persisting with. He has a lot to work on though. He needs to get better at reading the play. His first half against the Pies was pretty costly.

IMO he reads the play well for a young player and gets himself in the right positions

Composure is what he needs to work on IMO

definite contender, people always have less patience with backmen but he will be a gun if we keep backing him in.

IMO he reads the play well for a young player and gets himself in the right positions

Composure is what he needs to work on IMO

If he was good at reading the play he wouldn't have let a player like Pendlebury stroll into the forward 50 uncontested.

I'm not freaking out about it though. The ability to read the play comes with experience and he's only played 9 games.

I can only recall one error in the first quarter - cost a goal to his direct opponent - he didn't kick another for the game, Collingwood kicked 1 goal in a half.

Are we seriously having this conversation

And his game on Patton was exceptional

Contender, Play him for the rest of the season and chat after that, So far he is really doing very well for a 9 game veteran.

If he was good at reading the play he wouldn't have let a player like Pendlebury stroll into the forward 50 uncontested.

I'm not freaking out about it though. The ability to read the play comes with experience and he's only played 9 games.

Cmon Magoo

Those scenario's happen every week and it's more to do with the bullshit instructions from coaches about maintaining structures, honestly how many times these days do you see players leaving their man and pressuring the kicker, not often enough because it's too structured

Happy to agree to disagree but reading play is not a concern IMO

I can only recall one error in the first quarter - cost a goal to his direct opponent - he didn't kick another for the game, Collingwood kicked 1 goal in a half.

Are we seriously having this conversation

His error was a shocker made under early pressure, reflecting the fact that he's played bugger-all games, but you're right Peter, he played a hell of a good game after that, as he has in virtually every game he's played in his mini-career to date.

He can play on talls and smalls and has good pace for a tall.

Like Peter I think it's a no-brainer. He's better than a contender. He's there. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back