LeBron Wingard

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, I just went and had a look. Some are suggesting it's no different to the Tippett saga. Yes, it is different. All Chad did was basically say "ok, you can draft me, but I won't be hanging around for long if you do". This is completely different to the clandestine deals being done behind the scenes with Tippett. And there's absolutely no evidence to suggest Port were complicit in the whole thing, unlike the crows who left a paper trail right up to Steven Trigg's office.
Can understand the eyebrows being raised though.

From afl.com today. This sounds like it is just on the right side of the being candid-draft tampering line to me:

Chad Wingard's Giant refusal in lead up to draft

Chad Wingard's Giant refusal in lead up to draft

hopefully now people stop saying "lol how did GWS let him slip all da way to pick six!!!!" it was so obvious in the build up to the draft that we would get him and they would let him come to us, now we know Chad made it certain they shouldn't pick him.

7aaf7881fbb810d4ca3d2571832b22dd.jpg

You can call me "Wingarneen"

At worst all Port would have done was say to Chad "If you're still there at our pick we're taking you". Clubs do that every year. We said the same thing to Ollie.

GWS could still have chosen him and backed themselves to woo him. If he had his 2012-3 at Star Trek Oval they would've wheeled out a mega-contract to retain him as he'd just about be their Ablett Junior in terms of promotional ops.

Jane Wines openly said she was devastated when Port read Oli's name out, what with the move away from Victoria and all the bad press we'd gotten. Her boy, while taking it in his stride, would've been looking for the 2-year exit hatch.

Lo and behold they now love the place and wouldn't have him anywhere else - the kid couldn't sign an extension quick enough.

The other clubs and their jealous, bitter fans can have my sweaty cake and eat it too.

Have to admit, I think there would be some uncomfortable grumbling at the AFL at the Wingard quotes that went out in that article. It's not draft tampering, but it does kind of represent an instruction manual for young kids who don't want to be drafted by expansion teams.

True, AFL House wontt like what Chad has said. Just like they wont like the way that GWS maneuvered the mini draft into getting more high-end draft picks.

Swings and roundabouts

True, AFL House wontt like what Chad has said. Just like they wont like the way that GWS maneuvered the mini draft into getting more high-end draft picks.

Swings and roundabouts

Or how Sydney cut GWS' lunch over Buddy with 'COLA' money. Or how Marc Murphy refused to go to Brisbane on the father-son. Or how everyone mistook Brant Chambers for Brett Chalmers a few years ago and assumed his knees mustn't have been as bad as once thought.

GWS could still have chosen him and backed themselves to woo him. If he had his 2012-3 at Star Trek Oval they would've wheeled out a mega-contract to retain him as he'd just about be their Ablett Junior in terms of promotional ops.

Jane Wines openly said she was devastated when Port read Oli's name out, what with the move away from Victoria and all the bad press we'd gotten. Her boy, while taking it in his stride, would've been looking for the 2-year exit hatch.

Lo and behold they now love the place and wouldn't have him anywhere else - the kid couldn't sign an extension quick enough.

The other clubs and their jealous, bitter fans can have my sweaty cake and eat it too.

Yep, nothing wrong with Chad's admission. He can say whatever he likes in his interview and it's on the recruiter to back their systems to retain a player. It's a national draft and he'd have to go wherever he was picked, but gave them a frank assessment of where he was at.

Cyril Rioli did a very similar thing and only kept a shortlist of possible clubs he'd be willing to play for.

Have to admit, I think there would be some uncomfortable grumbling at the AFL at the Wingard quotes that went out in that article. It's not draft tampering, but it does kind of represent an instruction manual for young kids who don't want to be drafted by expansion teams.
Or struggling Victorian teams who've overloaded on & poorly developed most of their early first round picks in recent years gone by.

Players aren't going to have reservations about going to an expansion club anymore as they'll be on the up, well the Suns anyway as the Giants are still a fair ways off but the same can't be said for top line kids on the way to the Dees, Saints & Lions.

Can't we just merge this thread with the same one on the crows board?

Could say the same thing about Dangerfield. Don't get me wrong Wingard is a gun, but Port supporters blind hatred for the Crows and the bulk of their supporters makes you see everything with teal/white and black colored glasses. One thing done by Wingard is funny/confidence whereas Dangerfield is arrogant and selfish.

PS No doubt LJ shouldve passed that ball to Dangerfield and done the team thing.
image.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In August or so of Chad's draft year I was flying back from Perth and sitting next to a Brisbane recruiter who after a few red wines was talking up Billy Longer and talking down Chad "because he gets hit in the head too much". I thought it was some sort of BS at the time :)

I remember when a few had a big cry over us having a Dangerfield vs Bradbert thread even though Dangerhype at the time was the better player, now they've got a thread calling one of our players a draft cheat.

You can sense the jealousy/envy in their hateful posts laughing about a quivering lip & his first preseason in New Zealand? Give me a break, the 'softness' as they call it is unfounded because despite his slight frame he's one of the more courageous players in the comp hence how often he's straight up after getting KO'd as often as he does.

If the roles were reversed & they landed him they'd be saying it's not draft tampering it was just a smart tactic from one of the biggest future stars in the comp & they'd be cheering having the best indigenous Crow prospect since McLeod.

Finally they get it.
The difference is that Dangerfield is encouraged by the media, and hence doesn't hold back and say things like "I got lucky off of the hard work of my team" which is every interview with Wingard.

It may not all be on the media, but lets be honest it doesn't help one bit.

Well if Chad is reading this "New York dreams hotdogs and wings" fast food shop down on Semaphore rd and is owned and run by a 6'10" African American called Raheem Brown who played with "the Heat" when LeBron joined them and who knows might swap stories of "King James" for just having Chad hang around on a busy summers day promoting the shop ;):D

Mmm, because you are in the inner sanctum of the crows and know how his team mates feel about him?
You never know, there are friends of players and possibly even players that use this site and if there is one thing is that opposition players talk to each other on the field and know a lot more than the public do.

The difference is that Dangerfield is encouraged by the media, and hence doesn't hold back and say things like "I got lucky off of the hard work of my team" which is every interview with Wingard .....
Yeah for all that I like Dangerfield and his unashamed FIGJAMery, the game needs that. And it is an easier persona for these gun, game-changing players to maintain than the shy "Aw shucks" one.

I remember when a few had a big cry over us having a Dangerfield vs Bradbert thread even though Dangerhype at the time was the better player, now they've got a thread calling one of our players a draft cheat.

You can sense the jealousy/envy in their hateful posts laughing about a quivering lip & his first preseason in New Zealand? Give me a break, the 'softness' as they call it is unfounded because despite his slight frame he's one of the more courageous players in the comp hence how often he's straight up after getting KO'd as often as he does.

If the roles were reversed & they landed him they'd be saying it's not draft tampering it was just a smart tactic from one of the biggest future stars in the comp & they'd be cheering having the best indigenous Crow prospect since McLeod.

Wingard being upfront with recruiters from clubs he could land at, is draft cheating?

Perhaps he should have followed what their s**t franchise did, and make a secret deal with the GWS and actually tamper with the draft.
Although I'm sure they view that as anything but cheating.

God, they are so desperate and needy. The only place they are relevant is in the SA media which is full of inbreds who support the camrys.

Will laugh if they get belted by Collingwood tonight. What would their record at our home ground be then?

Should've had pick 1 and/or 2 if the same rules that big Vic clubs filled their boots under existed. File this in the 'justice served' er... file.

love the publicity chad is getting today, you know you've made it when the whole footy community worships you and then turn and call you a flog and try to do everything to put you and your team down; draft tampering LOL. This gets thrown around a lot but i do believe other supporters are jealous and why wouldnt you be ;) but seriously chad keep doing what your doing dont change.