Let's talk Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Port had a few games on Foxtel in recent times I recorded Showdown 1. I don't think I've seen it since post-GF 2004 when I watched it and started
Nostalgia - Showdown 1 revisited. Almost 12 years later I remembered so few details it was like a new game to me when I watched it last night. So much fun to watch.

Points of interest (to me)
  • It was our 4th AFL game and followed our first AFL win the week before - against Geelong
  • Leigh Matthews was a very good commentator, interesting he assiduously called us Port Adelaide while Dennis Cometti stuck with the then official Port Power
  • I thought Wanganeen's dodgy ankle went late in the game, but he was gone halfway through the 1st quarter
  • So nostalgic to see Jack Cahill at the helm
  • I was reminded why I used to like Brayden Lyle so much
  • So good seeing David Brown 'back' in the proper colours after 6 years at Karparkistan. A shame we never got Tregenza back too.
  • Shayne Breuer was fantastic but was one of a heap in that game (Downsborough, Lockwood, Heuskes, Dickie, Bond) who were gone in a few years
  • I had completely forgotten about Tom Carr being in that game. Or any other. Per Footywire there were 5 in total over 3 years.
    I mainly remembered the name because at Tredders farewell function at the Entertainment Centre he talked about he and Tom being very young and the shenanigans they witnessed when taken on a pre-AFL Port Adelaide pre-season held in WA. I remember thinking 'Tom who?'
  • Of those who made it into the early 2000s I think only Francou had the same number on his guernsey. I had to write a list of players/numbers to properly follow what I was watching until I got used to picking the 1997 versions out. I mean they even looked different; Peter Burgoyne was always slim but in this game he was skinny, Francou had hair, and so on.
  • Our kicking for goal was dire. 11G 17B to the Cows' 11G 6B i.e. we scored as many points as they had scoring shots. Primus in particular was as wayward from set shots as some of Butcher's crazier games, while Francou's many wild kicks in hope were pretty unprofessional and not at all how I remember his goal kicking.
  • Scott Cummings and Rod Jamieson began their brief but highly entertaining punch-up rivalry. I bumped into Jamieson drinking with one of his friends at our local footy club about 5 years back and was able to thank him for those fun to watch bouts. I wonder how many games each lost at the tribunal.

Scott Cummings was my hero in '97 . I was devastated when he left.

..... I ran into Timmy G before the game (GWS 2012), as we were both signing the Sheedy wall, he was not confident.
Hindsight is wonderful but I'm struggling to think if I've ever been to a game where the result was so pre-ordained.

In the 1998 sanfl GF Tommy Carr handed out a massive shirtfront on Sturt's Nathan Irvine. My son who was a few years old at the time was watching it and his comment was "Ooooh Tommy broke Nathan".

Macca19 found the bump on youtube in another thread at 58.35

Yep that moment was always my most vivid memory of Tommy Carr.

In the 1998 sanfl GF Tommy Carr handed out a massive shirtfront on Sturt's Nathan Irvine. ...

58:47 for me, I must have a slower computer.
I was at that game too but I remember nothing of it these days except it was close and we won.

In the 1998 sanfl GF Tommy Carr handed out a massive shirtfront on Sturt's Nathan Irvine. My son who was a few years old at the time was watching it and his comment was "Ooooh Tommy broke Nathan".

Carr would get 6 weeks these days ... how Irvine got up is amazing.

I hate that day and yet love that day.
That was a real sliding doors moment (take note Barrett). If we'd managed a small win or tried to paper over the loss (keeping on Primus), you wonder how things would have turned out. I don't think we'd have been wiped out (not with AO on the horizon), but certainly I doubt we'd have made finals since then.

The biggest sliding doors though is where the club would be if the SACA members had voted against the AO upgrade. Scary to even think of still being at the tin-pot s**t hole in the middle of nowhere. Thank god yet again for Port doing the heavy lifting in this state and dragging along the troglodyte Crows and SANFL towards the 21st century.

That was a real sliding doors moment (take note Barrett). If we'd managed a small win or tried to paper over the loss (keeping on Primus), you wonder how things would have turned out. I don't think we'd have been wiped out (not with AO on the horizon), but certainly I doubt we'd have made finals since then.

The biggest sliding doors though is where the club would be if the SACA members had voted against the AO upgrade. Scary to even think of still being at the tin-pot s**t hole in the middle of nowhere. Thank god yet again for Port doing the heavy lifting in this state and dragging along the troglodyte Crows and SANFL towards the 21st century.
But Adelaide Crowval......

Justice didn't take long after Irvine's hit on Alfie Steed circa 57:00.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12662618_10153557407313882_607224585064273349_n.jpg

I haven't seen any mention in or on any local or interstate media or even on BF but I would have thought the announcement that PAFC is contributing $2M yes $2m to assist indigenous youth unemployment was worthy of publicity.

Apart from Govt. programs what other organisation let alone a football club has contributed this amount of money.

PAFC receives, from numerous sources including the local media much derision as to the money that we received from the SANFL during those difficult years, but nothing is said about the work the club does in the community I suspect we punch way above our weight in this area.

I ask that all members get this information out there so some acknowledgement is made and to get some real reporting instead of the nonsense article last week about Schultz's roll in the forward line.

I haven't seen any mention in or on any local or interstate media or even on BF but I would have thought the announcement that PAFC is contributing $2M yes $2m to assist indigenous youth unemployment was worthy of publicity.

Apart from Govt. programs what other organisation let alone a football club has contributed this amount of money.

PAFC receives, from numerous sources including the local media much derision as to the money that we received from the SANFL during those difficult years, but nothing is said about the work the club does in the community I suspect we punch way above our weight in this area.

I ask that all members get this information out there so some acknowledgement is made and to get some real reporting instead of the nonsense article last week about Schultz's roll in the forward line.

Add to this thread to keep it up there

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/why-community-pcl-explained.1072855/

Because the PAFC wont be contributing $2mil to this project!

Our total Power Community expenditure budget is $2mil, which is all funded by private organisations and government grants, which still require the club to work on the projects to go chase that funding. Read closely what Koch said.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...r-launches-new-initiative-at-government-house
We will invest around $2 million in the community through our independent community development arm this year, and this school-to-work initiative is part of that picture.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...r-launches-new-initiative-at-government-house

image.jpeg

I make no apologies for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back