MRP / Trib. Lewis 2 weeks, Hodge 3 weeks - OPPOSITION POSTERS WILL BE CARDED

Remove this Banner Ad

Now my memory is now great, and not always correct, but I seem to recall that Reece Conca got only two weeks for an elbow to the back of the neck of Devon Smith. The incident happened outside the playing field, and Conca had to chase Smith to deliver the blow. If Hodge gets more than Conca, where is the justice?

Now my memory is now great, and not always correct, but I seem to recall that Reece Conca got only two weeks for an elbow to the back of the neck of Devon Smith. The incident happened outside the playing field, and Conca had to chase Smith to deliver the blow. If Hodge gets more than Conca, where is the justice?
You're looking at it all wrong TH.

Conca's strike had no "potential to cause injury". It's a 'Hawthorn only' clause on all available evidence.

Like Rioli's attempted striking charge.

There isn't any justice, it's the MRP. They make it up on the fly

You are correct Conca chased him and elbowed him in the base of the neck, only copping a 2 week ban which Gillon later said was inappropriate.

So Conca slipped through and Hodge is the square up, as Gillon was appalled with the Conca verdict.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...ny8YMp3gLEClQI9koWCSrjw&bvm=bv.92291466,d.dGY

Conca's strike had no "potential to cause injury". It's a 'Hawthorn only' clause on all available evidence.

Conca hit him on the base of the neck, Gillon realised it had potential to cause injury, " just wait until the next bloke goes high with an elbow "

Reality is Conca's hit was 10 times worse when you take into account the fact he chased after Smith and whacked him from behind, I think Smith was jogging off for a spell and was just about out of bounds when Conca caught him.

Hodge was in the heat of the moment and I'd like to think it was a don't argue to the chest that was way out and caught him on the chin. Did Swallow even need treatment ?

Now the MRP are judging offences on the potential to cause injury. It'll be contact free soon with everyone wearing helmets.

edit: oops just realised where I am, sorry mods I'll slip out the back door now.

Conca hit him on the base of the neck, Gillon realised it had potential to cause injury, " just wait until the next bloke goes high with an elbow "

Reality is Conca's hit was 10 times worse when you take into account the fact he chased after Smith and whacked him from behind, I think Smith was jogging off for a spell and was just about out of bounds when Conca caught him.

Hodge was in the heat of the moment and I'd like to think it was a don't argue to the chest that was way out and caught him on the chin. Did Swallow even need treatment ?

Now the MRP are judging offences on the potential to cause injury. It'll be contact free soon with everyone wearing helmets.

edit: oops just realised where I am, sorry mods I'll slip out the back door now.

Considering your defence of Clarkson against the unclean masses I doubt any would begrudge your presence.

I think you'll be excused this time, mate - just don't do it again! ;):D

Attempet reminds me of when Kerr got off for punching Mitch in the nuts because he was attempting to punch his leg!

I could "potentially" run over someone by driving. Might catch the tram
The tram could 'potentially' run someone over as well. Better stay home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's ok, you can post here as long as you are talking s**t about the MRP and don't mention Ballantyne/Crowley.

I haven't read the thread so it's probably been mentioned but this was 2 weeks

340555-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

anymore for Hodge and it's an outrage

He will get less then or equal to Yarren, as Yarren's was worse then Hodges. So hopefully he gets 3 down to 2.

However this whole potential to cause injury is an absolute joke. If this was properly inforced, Yarren would have gotten 7 weeks (same as Barry Hall). Which of course is overkill. Because Yarren only clipped him, he got 3. Hodge didn't even cause any injury, so he should only get 1-2.

But because we are thinking so much about the children. He will get 3-4.

Lewis got the right result for the wrong reason. Yet again. Was intentional IMO, but clearly not high impact, indeed even some doubt over Medium. Given the categories, Lewis was probably 'unlucky', but perhaps this was written that way to avoid a Hawthorn challenge on intent. North are also notorious for very conservative medical reports.

If Lewis was rated Intentional, High Contact, Medium Impact there wouldn't be anything in the forums as it would have been the right decision. You could make some argument towards Low/Medium due to Goldstein playing out the game, but I think everyone (who understands the rules anyway) would be content with 2 weeks. You could also attempt to argue the Intentional, but I don't think anyone truly believes it was a legitimate spoiling attempt.

Hodge is very different - under previous interpretation, "Intentional" was very hard to prove. Was he trying to get the chin or chest? "I tried to punch his leg; He didn't have the ball, I thought he was going to choke me if I didn't" were all deemed legitimate defences. With Hodge's back turned, and being pulled off balance there would be enough doubt to argue "Reckless" under the old rules - but I would hope that situation (punches/elbows/etc) is always deemed "Intentional" (even Geelong/Sydney players) from now on. High Impact? Very doubtful, Medium most likely, Low possible. The fact Swallow was concussed from the Stratton tackle later in the game clouds, if not eliminates the ability to draw from the medical report. (In a boxing match, which punch caused the concussion?). The issue the MRP then face is that results in only a two week suspension (Intentional, High, Medium).

The biggest issue is (as always) the inexplicable randomness of implementation. As I've argued for a few years now, the MRP is a great system, if only it was applied correctly and consistently accross all games, not just when the media get involved. I don't think the Wright front-on bump was even looked at, and the impact on that was worse than both the Hodge and Lewis incidents.

Shiels didn't get bumped IMO. He was just one of 2 blokes who collided with each other. That's a stark difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back