Strategy List build: Draft, trade 2024-

Remove this Banner Ad

Sabrina did have a pretty good year. I wonder who is remaining 10 OOC are. Possibly those that struggled for games this year?

And we know Brazil is being courted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely if we're smart, we could use a Brazill trade to Fremantle to enhance our draft hand, or be able to trade in a ready made player. Preferably a key forward or midfielder with pace.
I also hope we our appointing a coach next week, as the trade period begins, and again you read 3 decent players, including Birch, from Melbourne are looking for a change.
We really need to be getting in some good ready made talent onto our list.

Looks like our list won't be cleaned out as much as it should be. Fowler is a surprise for me, along with Frederick getting two years. Sabrina did have a reasonable year, so l would’ve looked at one year, and looked to trade in a young ruck for 2024 and beyond....

I never thought wholesale change was necessary or likely. The bones of a good side are there. With such a compromised draft process it'll take time to build the squad to take the next step. Hopefully we can retain Braz as well.

Surely if we're smart, we could use a Brazill trade to Fremantle to enhance our draft hand, or be able to trade in a ready made player. Preferably a key forward or midfielder with pace.
I also hope we our appointing a coach next week, as the trade period begins, and again you read 3 decent players, including Birch, from Melbourne are looking for a change.
We really need to be getting in some good ready made talent onto our list.
havent seen us linked to anyone, apart from that initial mention of that swans ruck, who re-signed.

He interesting what happens. Trade period is soon. Next week?
So if we discount those that mentioned were re-signed, that remains: Does everyone's contract start from scratch? who are the 9 already signed for 2024? I'm trying to find a list.

Allen
Barber
Barnett
Bonnici
Brazil
Brown
Butler
Cann
Davey
Evans
Lin
Livingstone
Schleicher
Sheridan
Rowe
Smith

Does this apply?

from March 2023

Reigning Club Best and Fairest Jordyn Allen heads up a series of top talent in Imogen Barnett, Tarni Brown, Lauren Butler and Aishling Sheridan who have all penned fresh two-year deals.

In addition, Collingwood foundation players Brittany Bonnici and Ruby Schleicher as well as key talents in Mikala Cann, Sarah Rowe, Eliza James and Charlotte Taylor have all signed contract extensions to remain in the black and white until at least the end of 2024.

Talented cross-coder Ash Brazill alongside Sabrina Frederick and Sarah Sansonetti have also put pen to paper, signing on until the end of the 2023 season.

The news follows the recent signings of new recruits Grace Campbell and Tarni White last week.

In addition to the players above, the Club has seen recommitments from Olivia Barber, Charlotte Blair, Lauren Brazzale, Sophie Casey, Brianna Davey, Imogen Evans, Erica Fowler, Joanna Lin, Stacey Livingstone, Alana Porter and Emily Smith.

So if this is true, the 9 thats already signed are.. Allen, Barnett, Brown, Butler, Sheridan, Bonnici, Schleicher, Cann, Rowe

This would have been for the 2023 season? Surely Bri should get a longer contract

In addition to the players above, the Club has seen recommitments from Olivia Barber, Charlotte Blair, Lauren Brazzale, Sophie Casey, Brianna Davey, Imogen Evans, Erica Fowler, Joanna Lin, Stacey Livingstone, Alana Porter and Emily Smith.

I never thought wholesale change was necessary or likely. The bones of a good side are there. With such a compromised draft process it'll take time to build the squad to take the next step. Hopefully we can retain Braz as well.

The bones of an average side is there, a team that may win 4 to 6 games a year, could limp into a final series, but be out in the first week.
I think we need to move on from certain players, and not roll out with the same old, same old each year.
We have a couple of decent players at VFLW level, that l think should be on our AFLW list in Bates and Dojiok. I think Dojoik is a better talent then Eleri Morris. That's nothing against Eleri, l just think Dojiok is better gifted athletically and could be a more than handy talent in our F50.
With us losing Molloy, Chiocci, Lambert and Membrey, l would like to see us bring in good quality ready made talent, and there's a few putting their hands up, looking for new clubs.
With Brazill, she's been a great stalwart of our club in two sports, but at 33, l would be happy to move her on, if a decent trade could be achieved.

We’ve resigned Sabrina till 2025.
I hope GW has not had a hand in this, it’s a blight on the AFLW that Collingwood sees it fit to sign her on for more years.
As someone who had watched Collingwood AFLW closely since its inception I won’t be tuning in to watch sub-standard players play for Collingwood.

This was earlier in the year.

#14 Violet Patterson (Glenelg)

DOB: 09/01/2006
Height: 170cm
Position: Winger
Local club: Plympton

After Lily Whitcombe became the first top-ager to appear in our countdown for this year, Glenelg bottom-ager Violet Patterson cracked in as the first non draft-eligible player to feature. The hard running winger is the definition of tough. Though she plays on the outside, the moment she gets a sniff of blood, it is danger for the opposition. Standing at a good height of 170cm, Patterson hits the contest hard and thrives in close, then uses her explosive speed on the outside to do a lot of damage.

Patterson is not eligible to be selected until next year in the 2024 AFL Women’s Draft, one of a number of bright prospects who have high potential. Though her natural talent will have people talking about her alone, she has the extra uniqueness of being a potential father-daughter selection. Though not the first AFL Women’s father-daughter selection, she could end up the first father-daughter selection taken in another state pool.

The teenager is the daughter of former Magpie Stephen, who played 96 games and booted 88 goals for the Magpies between the years of 1995-2000. Though under current father-son rules the father must have played 100 games, under the father-daughter rules, just the one is required. Of course Patterson is based in South Australia, playing for local club Plympton when not in Glenelg colours.

In terms of her traits, Patterson is a natural talent who just has to adjust her composure with ball-in-hand when streaming down the field. Her eye-catching ability allows her to win the ball and take off, blowing away any opponent, then breaking the lines and kicking downfield. Though she can tend to rush with that disposal, when she has time and space and can steady, she can do a lot of damage. Her contest work when required is just as strong, though her athletic gifts means she can have more of an impact outside the contest, often off a wing.

In 2023, Patterson still has another year to go before she is draft-eligible, but will no doubt be a feature in the South Australian state team. She was selected in the final squad for the 2022 AFL Women’s Under 18 Championships as an Under 16s player, but like fellow bottom-ager Chloe Charity, missed out on getting a call-up given the strength of the squad. Her class, speed and toughness make her a well-balanced player and expect her to only get better with more development.

Carlton is also on the cusp of landing Brown – the daughter of Collingwood premiership champion Gavin Brown and the sister of former Pies brothers Callum and Tyler – after a year that saw her drift in and out of the Magpies team.

Brown, who was recruited as a father-daughter prospect to Collingwood and played 34 games across four seasons for the club, had been the fourth member of the family to feature for the Pies after Gavin, Callum and Tyler.

Fair enough. She struggled this year, in and out of the side

perhaps harsh but i dont think browns departure will hurt us in any way

interesting that rabble have not offered Laloifi a contract (not sure of her form this season but she was a bl00dy decent defender couple of years back ........ strong one-on-one pressure and good rebound)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope Brown finds her feet somewhere, she has some talent but seems to struggle with her decision making a bit.
Carry the ball way to long with not a lot peripheral vision.
She has stagnated since her second year.
Time for a fresh start, good luck.
Why are we so bloody quiet, no coach no incoming payers, even rumours.
Looks dire to me. Are we asleep at the wheel?

Hope Brown finds her feet somewhere, she has some talent but seems to struggle with her decision making a bit.
Carry the ball way to long with not a lot peripheral vision.
She has stagnated since her second year.
Time for a fresh start, good luck.
Why are we so bloody quiet, no coach no incoming payers, even rumours.
Looks dire to me. Are we asleep at the wheel?

No one wants to come to us. 5 Melbourne players and none picked us.

Young defender Annie Lee is likely to head to Collingwood as part of any deal for Brown

Why we so poor in the AFLW trade space?
Apparently 35 players look like moving clubs, and we aren't associated with any of the decent players looking to move, we are associated with a player in Lee, who averages 5 disposals a game after 14 games. We lose two better players in Brazill and Brown!!!
Also what's going on with a coach? Surely one should've been appointed by now. I just wonder about the priority we give our AFLW side, and why we don't attract the better players in the competition wanting to come to our club. Does our programme not have the best reputation amongst the players in the competition?

If Brazill heads to Fremantle, then we should look to get their pick 27, and pick 21 from Carlton for Brown, and along with our current picks 8, 11 and 29, we take 5 picks inside the top 30 into the draft. Start the rebuild.
Yup, twp picks in the top 15 so far is a good start.

We havent heard if anyone else is on the move. Havent even heard of any delistings.

Why we so poor in the AFLW trade space?
Apparently 35 players look like moving clubs, and we aren't associated with any of the decent players looking to move, we are associated with a player in Lee, who averages 5 disposals a game after 14 games. We lose two better players in Brazill and Brown!!!
Also what's going on with a coach? Surely one should've been appointed by now. I just wonder about the priority we give our AFLW side, and why we don't attract the better players in the competition wanting to come to our club. Does our programme not have the best reputation amongst the players in the competition?
I don't think it has a great reputation at all, almost as if the programs is an afterthought at times. Partly cause I think the club just thought it would all come together because it's Collingwood.

I was following North during the finals campaign closely and seeing the culture they're working to build with the W program really becoming embraced by the wider club and not viewed as a separate entity. They had Clarko and Liam Shiels spending time with them in the lead up to the GF. They had a lot of the mens players at games S well to support them. They've got a really good coach in Darren Crocker, a great leader in Emma Kearney, and good players in Garner, Riddell and Bruton to name a few. And we can talk all we like about how they got those players when they first came into the comp, but you still have to build and develop a culture.

North is what we need to become more. I don't have an answer for how we do that though.

I don't think it has a great reputation at all, almost as if the programs is an afterthought at times. Partly cause I think the club just thought it would all come together because it's Collingwood.

I was following North during the finals campaign closely and seeing the culture they're working to build with the W program really becoming embraced by the wider club and not viewed as a separate entity. They had Clarko and Liam Shiels spending time with them in the lead up to the GF. They had a lot of the mens players at games S well to support them. They've got a really good coach in Darren Crocker, a great leader in Emma Kearney, and good players in Garner, Riddell and Bruton to name a few. And we can talk all we like about how they got those players when they first came into the comp, but you still have to build and develop a culture.

North is what we need to become more. I don't have an answer for how we do that though.

The Brisbane girls were also well supported by some in the men’s program. Fagan was at the GF on Sunday. And Harris Andrews was there too - I know this because I live close to Princes Park and saw Andrews walking along Royal Pde when I was out around lunchtime on Sunday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back