List clean out is urgently needed

Remove this Banner Ad

"Eagles team is made up of other clubs rejects, Wafl players and retirees". True.
But.. you can't build a team on just drafted, untested players. Mediochre dudes are needed to fill gaps while we search for talent.
Norf are a classic example of option 1.
A couple is fine, but i think they are going too far in this direction. Maybe list managment correct this with delistings and retirements end of season..

I'd like to see who people see as heart and soul west coast players outside of those likely to retire this year or next. I'm not sure I see any. To be a heart and sould player you need to leave everything on the park, everything on the training track and you have to be loved and admired by your teammates.
I had shuey, kennedy and hurn in my head...then i read "who will still be here in the next year or two"

I want to spew saying this name ..but duggan (yuck) comes to mind.

I'm not sure whether you're trolling or haven't been watching much football this year.

Jamieson, now he's being used as a ruck rather than a full back, is actually looking like he might develop into a decent ruck. If we play him as such for the rest of the year we'll have a pretty good idea, but I can see him as a #1 ruck, with BWilliams as the backup/3rd tall forward. Strnadica much more on the chopping block.

West is someone who would be useful. As is Naish. There are older, injury destroyed guys ahead of these two in my book.

Mixed feelings on Langdon. If Winder gets a good run and Rioli and Ryan come back he could be on the outer. Edit for Phil - on the outer as a player. Not getting selected. Sitting on the sidelines and going at end of 2023.
But I'd rather see Cripps retire.

Agree re Nelson, Hurn, JK and Dixon. But there's others ahead of the rest.
Why persist with players like Naish, Witherden, Dixon or Langdon? Few attributes worth persisting with and massive defects in their games that have been exposed to any objective football observer.

Weak contested games need to be rectified by offensive or athletic attributes. I'd add SPS and Nelson to the basket of deplorables.

Id disagree with Jamieson, Rotham and West. Even if they've got limitations they've at least got some strong points in their games.

Better two years of a player coming to the end of their career like Cripps than four years of a Langdon being sub-par. We'll be better off getting the crap off our list ahead of the aged AFL grade footballers.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Players that need to retire:
  • Kennedy
  • Hurn

Players that could retire (but we should encourage to stay if they are fit):
  • Naitanui
  • Shuey
  • Redden

Players that could be delisted:
  • Trew = X
  • Nelson = X
  • Joyce = X
  • Hugh Dixon = X
  • Winder = X
  • Naish = X
  • Strnadica = X

• Jamieson = Keep 1 year
  • L Edwards = Keep 1 year
  • J Jones = Keep 1 year
  • Connor West = Keep 2 year
  • Culley = Keep 2 year
Players that are contracted but maybe shouldn't be.
  • Cripps = Retire 2023
  • Petrovski-Seton = Delist 2023
  • Langdon = Delist 2023
  • O'neill = Delist 2023
  • Waterman = Delist 2023
  • Rotham = Delist 2024
  • Foley = Reassess 2023
Could have some value in a trade, but are basically worthless to us (trade bait)
  • Gaff (2024)
  • Petrucelle (2023)
  • Witherden (uncontracted)
  • B Williams (uncontracted)
With so much junk on our list we need to go deep the next two drafts. Almost 3/4 of our list is just trash.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woke up half asleep to this news.
First thought was finally the Eagles have started to sack staff.
Until I read it and it's some other local club called the Eagles that sacked there coach. Nothing to do with the West Coast Eagles

Dam it. Well we are stuck with complacency and excuses again.
1779b8249450855a94ed53f1282fbee1.jpg

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

Players that need to retire:
  • Kennedy
  • Hurn

Players that could retire (but we should encourage to stay if they are fit):
  • Naitanui
  • Shuey
  • Redden

Players that could be delisted:
  • Trew = X
  • Nelson = X
  • Joyce = X
  • Hugh Dixon = X
  • Winder = X
  • Naish = X
  • Strnadica = X

• Jamieson = Keep 1 year
  • L Edwards = Keep 1 year
  • J Jones = Keep 1 year
  • Connor West = Keep 2 year
  • Culley = Keep 2 year
Players that are contracted but maybe shouldn't be.
  • Cripps = Retire 2023
  • Petrovski-Seton = Delist 2023
  • Langdon = Delist 2023
  • O'neill = Delist 2023
  • Waterman = Delist 2023
  • Rotham (Delist 2024)
  • Foley (Revisit 2023)
Could have some value in a trade, but are basically worthless to us (trade bait)
  • Gaff (2024)
  • Petrucelle (2023)
  • Witherden (uncontracted)
  • B Williams (uncontracted)
With so much junk on our list we need to go deep the next two drafts. Almost 3/4 of our list is just trash.
Nice work.

Luke Edwards is contracted until 2024 and
Culley signed an 18 month deal so they're off the table.

Unfortunately No one's going to pick up Gaffy on the money he's on.
Unless he wants to go, he's staying and fair enough.

Bailey Williams hasn't shown much but might be given a another year.

Witherden is slow and not physical, he's a bust.

Nice work.

Luke Edwards is contracted until 2024 and
Culley signed an 18 month deal so they're off the table.

Unfortunately No one's going to pick up Gaffy on the money he's on.
Unless he wants to go, he's staying and fair enough.

Bailey Williams hasn't shown much but might be given a another year.

Witherden is slow and not physical, he's a bust.
You sure, I went per footywire on the contracts - they say H Edwards until 2024, L Edwards 2022. It may be wrong.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/to-west-coast-eagles

We aren't competing for a few years at least. I would hope we can pay some of Gaffs salary for another team to coax them into a trade for a pick on reputation.

You sure, I went per footywire on the contracts - they say H Edwards until 2024, L Edwards 2022. It may be wrong.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/to-west-coast-eagles

We aren't competing for a few years at least. I would hope we can pay some of Gaffs salary for another team to coax them into a trade for a pick on reputation.
This is from our board.

I don't like paying someone salary or part of to play against us, even though
I can see why it's done.

We shouldn't be pushing him out anyway IMO.

I’ve been hard on Rotham this year but he wasn’t completely horrible yesterday. What I really want to see is him up the ground kicking inside 50 more often like he did a couple times vs Claremont to great effect. Not sure if it’s mental or coaching with him but given he keeps getting dropped I suspect it could be at least both.

I’ve been hard on Rotham this year but he wasn’t completely horrible yesterday. What I really want to see is him up the ground kicking inside 50 more often like he did a couple times vs Claremont to great effect. Not sure if it’s mental or coaching with him but given he keeps getting dropped I suspect it could be at least both.
His issue is that he cannot defend - not fast enough for the wing???

Its a pity rothams contracted for another 2 years. Completer bust.
He's just been Simpsonised.
If he could get back to his natural game as an attacking runner who takes the game on he'd be alright. Instead he second guesses himself constantly because he's been coached to always take the safe sideways/backwards option.

He's just been Simpsonised.
If he could get back to his natural game as an attacking runner who takes the game on he'd be alright. Instead he second guesses himself constantly because he's been coached to always take the safe sideways/backwards option.
Yeah/na, if he was playing exactly as instructed why does he keep getting dropped, even when we have only a handful of spares.
I never noticed him being this charger out of the backline, it's a myth, might have done it once or twice early days but no more than that.
People built him up to be more than he was.

Yeah/na, if he was playing exactly as instructed why does he keep getting dropped, even when we have only a handful of spares.
I never noticed him being this charger out of the backline, it's a myth, might have done it once or twice early days but no more than that.
People built him up to be more than he was.
Why would you notice it? We haven't played that way for years. The players have been coached not to do it.
He keeps getting dropped because he's not playing well, I never said he was, but he's 100% playing the way he's been coached to play.

I wouldn't even consider looking at moving on Rotham, Foley, Waterman or Petch.

Guys like Winder deserve a go. So much dysfunction, mature players letting the kids down.

We'll move on a dozen players or more without breaking a sweat over the next 24 months and will probably turn over half our squad over the next four seasons.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back