Luke Hodge v Chris Judd

Who would you pick first?

• Luke Hodge

Votes: 218 37.8%
  • Chris Judd

Votes: 359 62.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This is one of those arguments that always happens when you mention Gary Sobers and Don Bradman and then ask who would you have in your team.

Hodge is a selfless footballer who will sacrifice his game for the team. He is as quoted by Sam Mitchell "The best player he has ever seen without the ball".
His football ability extends to every player on the ground because he organises and brings orders hence his nicname of General. He shifts to any position on the ground and plays where the team needs him hlaf back, half forward full back, in the ruck. Players like Judd and hodge are once in a generation players. BUT if i were a coach and I was picking a player knowing what i know now i would pick Hodge every time.

Judd was brilliant the game's premier player in his prime.

Hodge is a player you build a team around, courageous and leads by example. Leaders like him only come around once in a generation add in his football ability and i pick him. Don Bradman the greatest batsman that played the game. Gary Sobers the greatest cricketer that ever played the game.

If we're picking one of the two to play tomorrow, I take Hodge without a second thought.
Judd's best was scintillating but we haven't seen anything like it for a few years now.

I think people forget how good Judd has been.

I still think Judd's best in the midfield is the best I've seen. Ablett far more productive, but in my view Judd's best was better.
No one argues that Judd is the better midfielder. But thats a limitation of Judd as a footballer. Hodge is Mr Everywhere and damn good captain his value to the team expands past being a midfielder.

No one argues that Judd is the better midfielder. But thats a limitation of Judd as a footballer. Hodge is Mr Everywhere and damn good captain his value to the team expands past being a midfielder.

No doubt. And Hodge has grown to be one of the best captains I've seen. You'd walk taller following him out and he influences results. One of the all time great captains imo and it certainly closes the gap between the two.

Judd.

Judd at West Coast was something else. He was at his best with his acceleration and speed of course, partly because he had the physique of a greyhound in those days so his weight didn't slow him down at all as he just exploded out of packs and weaved through traffic with ease.

Let me explain it to you if i may. A player can influence a game in more than one position. The midfield is not the be all and end all of AFL football. The more positions you can play the more valuable you become to the team. Judd is limited because he can only ever play midfield. He can help out anywhere else if the team needs him to. The concept seems foreign on some people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is more to being a cricketer than being a batsman. Bradman was the best batsman but sobers although statistically not the best batsman was also very good. They were also both very good fieldsman. Where sobers had it over bradman is his ability to play another role bowl spin, or medium pace he had more strings to his bow he could influence the result in more than one way. This meant that even if he missed out with the bat he could take wickets and help the team out. I hope i spelt out the difference. Judd is a midfielder and has been at his prime the best in his position. Hodge has also played midfield not as well as judd in his prime but he plays anywhere on the field half back half forward ruck even its wherever he is needed. He is also one of the best leaders that i have seen. Its all about value to the team.

Let me explain it to you if i may. A player can influence a game in more than one position. The midfield is not the be all and end all of AFL football. The more positions you can play the more valuable you become to the team. Judd is limited because he can only ever play midfield. He can help out anywhere else if the team needs him to. The concept seems foreign on some people.

This is a bit of a misnomer tbh. Plenty of utility players are not as valuable to their team as top line pure mids are.

It's a bit like saying Carey was limited because he could only play CHF. No. Carey could play anywhere, but why would you play him anywhere?

And football is not cricket. Judd is a better footballer than Hodge, no matter how many positions the latter can play in.

Who would you pick first in your team? Fair number of comparisons going on between them in the main board, given Hodge was pick 1 and Judd pick 3 in the same draft.

Pick 40 is better than both and looks likely to continue playing for a few more years after these 2 retire.

This is a bit of a misnomer tbh. Plenty of utility players are not as valuable to their team as top line pure mids are.

It's a bit like saying Carey was limited because he could only play CHF. No. Carey could play anywhere, but why would you play him anywhere?

And football is not cricket. Judd is a better footballer than Hodge, no matter how many positions the latter can play in.

You are right, Judd is better then Hodge and has had the better career, however over the last 4-5 years though Hodge has been better during that time.

Notice i said who adds more value to a team. Not better footballer. Hodge has been for Hawthorn that Judd could never have been. In 2008 we lacked structure down back not in the middle and Hodge moved out of the middle for the betterment of the team and we won a premiership of the back of it. Its his ability to be a utility that makes him valuable. Ask yourself where football is heading. Utilities are more valuable than players that can play one position because those players then role off to play a role to plug a hole or to cover injuries.

Edit is why Roughead is much more valuable that Hawkins. The days of stay at home full forwards and CHF are over

Notice i said who adds more value to a team. Not better footballer. Hodge has been for Hawthorn that Judd could never have been. In 2008 we lacked structure down back not in the middle and Hodge moved out of the middle for the betterment of the team and we won a premiership of the back of it. Its his ability to be a utility that makes him valuable. Ask yourself where football is heading. Utilities are more valuable than players that can play one position because those players then role off to play a role to plug a hole or to cover injuries.

Very well said.

This is one of those arguments that always happens when you mention Gary Sobers and Don Bradman and then ask who would you have in your team.

Hodge is a selfless footballer who will sacrifice his game for the team. He is as quoted by Sam Mitchell "The best player he has ever seen without the ball".
His football ability extends to every player on the ground because he organises and brings orders hence his nicname of General. He shifts to any position on the ground and plays where the team needs him hlaf back, half forward full back, in the ruck. Players like Judd and hodge are once in a generation players. BUT if i were a coach and I was picking a player knowing what i know now i would pick Hodge every time.

Judd was brilliant the game's premier player in his prime.

Hodge is a player you build a team around, courageous and leads by example. Leaders like him only come around once in a generation add in his football ability and i pick him. Don Bradman the greatest batsman that played the game. Gary Sobers the greatest cricketer that ever played the game.
Very well said!

IMO Judd vs Hodge both at there best Judd wins hands down. But over there careers id take Hodge, much more a team player, a leader an loyal til the end.

Notice i said who adds more value to a team. Not better footballer.

Playing different positions doesn't automatically make you more valuable though.

Hodge has been for Hawthorn that Judd could never have been.

And I'd say Judd has been more for Carlton and WCE than Hodge could ever have been. He completely changed these teams and made them a hell of a lot better for his place in the side. Who knows, he may have added even more to Hawthorn than Hodge has, playing alternative universes and all.

You are right, Judd is better then Hodge and has had the better career, however over the last 4-5 years though Hodge has been better during that time.

No need to exaggerate. Judd won the MVP in 2011 by a street and was better than Hodge in 2012 as well, mostly due to Hodge being injured, but still, he was better. In fact, many were pondering going into 2013 if Hodge was washed up. He obviously went on to prove that he wasn't, but still, it's not like he's been winning B&F's and All Australian's either. So really, your 4-5 years is actually just Hodge being better the last two seasons; and that's more to do with Judd having dropped off than Hodge having stepped up.

Playing different positions doesn't automatically make you more valuable though.

And I'd say Judd has been more for Carlton and WCE than Hodge could ever have been. He completely changed these teams and made them a hell of a lot better for his place in the side. Who knows, he may have added even more to Hawthorn than Hodge has, playing alternative universes and all.

What has Judd done that has benefited Carlton so much ? You have away Kennedy one of the best KPF in the game now & also gave away a top 3 pick. He moved you up from from the bottom but all that did was rob you of another early draft pick you would have been better of receiving in 2008.... Carlton has never made it past the semi Finals in Judd's 7 years in the navy Blue.

I understand hes's been brilliant individually but in hindsight have Carlton achieved any more than they would have If they didn't trade for Judd back in 2007?

Back