Luke Hodge v Chris Judd

Who would you pick first?

• Luke Hodge

Votes: 218 37.8%
  • Chris Judd

Votes: 359 62.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hodge continues to have a great career. Another great GF performance. No one would knock him as a player and captain. He still doesn't get to Judds level. Judd is clearly the 2nd best player of his era after GAJ. Hodge doesn't make it into those calculations. He is the 3rd best Hawk of his generation which is pretty good.

Judd has been the better player, poll is a bit unfair on Hodge. Judd's been in discussions for best in his era, Hodge has not and will never be mentioned in those discussions. Therefore Judd>Hodge.
The poll result have been pretty generous to Hodge though, I'd put that down to a recency bias. Taking that into account I'd say the real split is 80:20 in favor of Judd.

Judd > Hodge at both clubs. MVP, Brownlow winning 4 x All Australian at the Blues. Youre dreaming if you think Hodge has been better than Judd at Carlton.

When you counter in that Judd forced Carlton to lose Kennedy and a top 5 pick Id say Hodge Haw >>>>>> Judd Carlton by the length of the nile.

Shows how gullible some people are with all that intangible rubbish like leadership and courage. A far more appropriate poll would be Mitchell v Judd. He's still not on the same level as Juddy but is clearly a step up from Hodge.

Hodge went at 27 disposals and a goal a game this year, his top-end performances have been better than both Mitchell and Judd for a while now.

When you counter in that Judd forced Carlton to lose Kennedy and a top 5 pick Id say Hodge Haw >>>>>> Judd Carlton by the length of the nile.
Judd didn't force Carlton to do anything, and the desperation of trying to factor this rubbish in shows just how far idiots have to go to try to justify this ridiculous premise. Try comparing Hodge to someone in his league instead of all these 'Hodge vs Champions of the game' type threads stinking the place up.

So basically Hodge had a better 2015 than Mitchell and Judd therefore he is the superior player. Mitch Robinson also had a better than Judd - what a champion.

Hodge has been around since Judd's debut year and is still an elite midfielder long after Judd ran himself into the ground. The point is that he has outlasted Judd, and then some. The last time Judd had a goal a game average in a year was in 2007.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hodge has been around since Judd's debut year and is still an elite midfielder long after Judd ran himself into the ground. The point is that he has outlasted Judd, and then some. The last time Judd had a goal a game average in a year was in 2007.
So it's an invalid comparison right now.

All while still having played fewer games :eek:

Only due to a slightly interrupted start to the career, compared to Judd anyway. In terms of elite form, Hodge has been doing it for much longer now.

The ever durable and consistent Hodge - a topic worthy of a Myth Busters episode.

I've never even heard of that one. He's proved durable compared to Judd, but not particularly evergreen at this time.

In terms of elite form, Hodge has been doing it for much longer now.

I'd say your definition of elite differs from mine. If you're talking top 5 in the league, Hodge has hardly ever been there at all, let alone been there for longer. And even then, not sure how Hodge double have been doing anything for longer when he's played fewer games. That's just an all round kinda stupid effort you put in there mate.

He's proved durable compared to Judd ...

Longevity in seasons yes. Durability, no. Hence Juddy having still played more games even to this day.

I'd say your definition of elite differs from mine. If you're talking top 5 in the league, Hodge has hardly ever been there at all, let alone been there for longer.

Not talking top 5 in the league, just elite seasons. In terms of reaching a higher level of performance, then Judd certainly reached a higher level, but that doesn't necessarily make him the better player. Hodge continues to put in elite seasons well after Judd is finished, to the point now that I would say he's eclipsed him.

not sure how Hodge double have been doing anything for longer when he's played fewer games. That's just an all round kinda stupid effort you put in there mate.

It's not difficult, it would just mean that the differential would be mainly made of performances when the players were not elite, as I intimated earlier.

Longevity in seasons yes. Durability, no. Hence Juddy having still played more games even to this day.

They've both played the same amount of seasons.

... Judd certainly reached a higher level, but that doesn't necessarily make him the better player. Hodge continues to put in elite seasons well after Judd is finished, to the point now that I would say he's eclipsed him.

To the point I would say ... you are delusional. Judd played at a higher level over more games. Using qualifiers like longer and elite means nothing when looking into what that actually means.

Not interested in discussing with you any further, just wanted to point out the durability myth.

Judd played at a higher level over more games. Using qualifiers like longer and elite means nothing when looking into what that actually means.

He certainly reached a higher level, but I wasn't arguing that point. The problem is he was unable to maintain his best performances, while players such as Hodge are still getting arguably career best numbers well after Judd was finished. Therefore there are players who have gone past him for that reason, and I believe Hodge is amongst them.

P.S. I heard Rebecca Judd on Friday say Chris can't ride a bike because his back is stuffed, can't play cricket or golf because his shoulders are wrecked. He certainly ran his body into the turf.

He certainly reached a higher level, but I wasn't arguing that point. The problem is he was unable to maintain his best performances, while players such as Hodge are still getting arguably career best numbers well after Judd was finished. Therefore there are players who have gone past him for that reason, and I believe Hodge is amongst them.

Pfft. Judd was one of the most consistent performers of his generation.

I didn't mention consistency,just that he was not at the peak of his powers for very long.

His peak had him nudging GOAT recognition. Rare heights. His step down from this peak was still better than Hodge though, MVP winning, back to back to back All Australian form; and he maintained this level consistently, being better than Hodge until his battered body started to pack it in.

Just because Judd did an ACL and retired, while another player continues to play, is a piss poor basis for claiming the continuing player better, despite them having never reached the heights of Judd as a player, nor been as durable over the course, nor been as consistent. This is just storytelling at its finest.

Back