Gaming Madden 10

Remove this Banner Ad

New York Jets 0-7-0-10 (17) d. San Diego 7-0-0-7 (14)

Sanchez 16/22 for 186 yards @ 72% - 0 TD, 0 INT for a 97.9 rating
Brees 23/32 for 238 yards @ 71% - 2 TD, 2 INT for a 87.7 rating

Jones 10 rushes for 45 yards @ 4.5
Richardson 6 rushes for 24 yards @ 4.0
Greene 3 rushes for 22 yards @ 7.3
Washington 2 rushes for 33 yards 16.5

Tomlinson 9 rushes for 50 yards @ 5.5
Sproles 1 rush for 10 yards @ 10.0

Get a job Sunday_Red. :p

Ah shut up :p

Started my J-E-T-S franchise earlier this afternoon.

Lost the first game @ Houston 38-31. The score didn't reflect how soundly I was beaten.

Won the second game vs New England 24-3. The Pats were so one dimensional. No run game!

However disaster struck in the last minute. I had the ball on the 50 yard line and was running down the clock. I don't know about you guys, but unless it's a one score game, I just can't being myself to QB kneel. I want to run and run and run.

So I called a hand off play to Jones who was on 90-something rushing yards. Anyway, the New England defensive line sprung forward and smashed Sanchez before he could make the give.

Torn pectoral muscle. Out for the season :(

Ah shut up :p

Started my J-E-T-S franchise earlier this afternoon.

Lost the first game @ Houston 38-31. The score didn't reflect how soundly I was beaten.

Won the second game vs New England 24-3. The Pats were so one dimensional. No run game!

However disaster struck in the last minute. I had the ball on the 50 yard line and was running down the clock. I don't know about you guys, but unless it's a one score game, I just can't being myself to QB kneel. I want to run and run and run.

So I called a hand off play to Jones who was on 90-something rushing yards. Anyway, the New England defensive line sprung forward and smashed Sanchez before he could make the give.

Torn pectoral muscle. Out for the season :(
lol
sucks losing your QB with an injury
I too run it out (I want as many players as possible in the pro bowl :p)
hate getting negative yards so will NEVER kneel it, UNLESS i've told someone that im playing to play serious, and then ill play it how it would in real life

jeeze. The first season I had in madden 2010 I was the Lions, was flying, was about week 12 8-2, Stafford out for the year. Got pumled to fall to 8-3, changed tactic next week to alot of wildcat and then brought out Culpepper to a bigger role the next week. Went on to lose the SUperbowl :(

W00t!

Just won a defensive arm wrestle against the Titans.

Was trailing 10-6 with 90 seconds to go and faced 4th and 3 on the Titans 10yd line.

I got stuffed trying to sweep and was forced to burn all of my time outs on the Tennessee posession. I made the stop, returned the punt to their 40 yard line and Clemens went to work (remembering the Sanchise is out for the year!)

I made a couple of short passes and scurried for yards after the catch, but it wouldn't be enough. With 24 seconds on the clock, I hot routed Dustin Keller to run a streak instead of a slant. He plucked the ball out of the air at the 1yd line and I had to run up to spike the ball. Greene busted over with 9 seconds left for the win.

Immensely satisfying! Don't you love when you change a play and it works perfectly?

2-1 now and facing New Orleans.

Won the Superbowl with the Jets in the first year of my franchise.

Week 1: Jets 31 Texans 38 (0-1)
Week 2: Patriots 3 Jets 28 (1-1)
Week 3: Titans 10 Jets 13 (2-1)
Week 4: Jets 52 Saints 28 (3-1)
Week 5: Jets 24 Dolphins 31 (3-2)
Week 6: Bills 6 Jets 42 (4-2)
Week 7: Jets 17 Raiders 23 (4-3)
Week 8: Dolphins 14 Jets 38 (5-3)
Week 9: BYE
Week 10: Jaguars 14 Jets 24 (6-3)
Week 11: Jets 17 Patriots 24 (6-4)
Week 12: Panthers 10 Jets 27 (7-4)
Week 13: Jets 31 Bills 20 (8-4)
Week 14: Jets 21 Buccaneers 35 (8-5)
Week 15: Falcons 7 Jets 10 (9-5)
Week 16: Jets 27 Colts 35 (9-6)
Week 17: Bengals 27 Jets 38 (10-6)
--------------------------------------
Wild Card: Ravens 10 Jets 22
Divisional: Jets 38 Steelers 24
Conference: Jets 42 Broncos 21
Superbowl: Jets 45 Cardinals 3

Average points for: 29.35
Average points against: 19.15

Season Passing Stats
Clemens 175/308 for 2327 yards @ 56%, 15 TD, 17 INT, 6 sacks for a rating of 74.1
Sanchez 25/42 for 352 yards @ 59%, 3 TD, 2 INT, 2 sacks for a rating of 90.5

Interesting to note that despite going down for the season with a torn pectoral in Week 2, Mark Sanchez still recorded the longest pass in the NFL all season with an 85 yard strike!

Season Rushing Stats
Thomas Jones 202 attempts for 1030 yards @ 5 yards per carry for 6TD, 1 fumble
Shonn Greene 119 attempts for 599 yards @ 5 yards per carry for 24TD, 1 fumble
Leon Washington 50 attempts for 209 yards @ 4.1 yards per carry for 4 TD, 2 fumbles
Tony Richardson 49 attempts for 259 yards @ 5.2 yards per carry for 1 TD, 2 fumbles
Kellen Clemens 25 attempts for 76 yards @ 3 yards per carry, 1 TD, 1 fumble
Mark Sanchez 5 attempts for 17 yards @ 3.4 yards per carry, 0 TD, 1 fumble
Eric Ainge 1 attempt for 5 yards @5 yards per carry, 0 TD, 0 fumbles

Season Receiving Stats
Brad Smith 48 receptions for 773 yards @ 16.1, 3 TD
Thomas Jones 35 receptions for 366 yards @ 10.4, 2 TD
Braylon Edwards 34 receptions for 541 yards @ 15.9, 5 TD
Dustin Keller 28 receptions for 389 yards @ 13.8, 3 TD
Jerricho Cotchery 21 receptions for 227 yards @ 10.8, 0 TD
Leon Washington 13 receptions for 139 yards @ 10.6, 2 TD
Tony Richardson 11 receptions for 109 yards @ 9.9, 2 TD
Ben Hartsock 6 receptions for 61 yards @ 10.1, 0 TD
David Clowney 3 receptions for 46 yards @ 15.3, 1 TD
Wallace Wright 1 reception for 28 yards @ 28.0, 0 TD

Sacks
Kris Jenkins 14
Shaun Ellis 7
James Ihedigbo 3
Donald Strickland 2
Dwight Lowery, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Howard Green 1

Tackles (Top 5)
Kris Jenkins 42
Bart Scott 37
Jim Leonhard 34
Kerry Rhodes 32
Dwight Lowery, Darrelle Revis 31

Interceptions
Darrelle Revis 4 for 52 yards, 0 TD
Calvin Pace 2 for 3 yards, 0 TD
Lito SHeppard 2 for 41 yards, 1 TD
Dwight Lowery 1 for 15 yards, 0 TD
Jim Leonhard 1 for 29 yards, 0 TD
Kerry Rhodes 1 for 20 yards, 0 TD
Donald Strickland 1 for 1 yard, 0 TD
Bart Scott 1 for 2 yards, 0 TD

Kicking/Punting
Jay Feely 16 field goals from 20 attempts @ 80% & 50 XP from 51 attempts @ 98%
Steve Weatherford 29 punts for 1237 yards @ 42.6 (967 net yards @ 33.3 net), 11 inside 20

How many kickoff return TD's is a good avg per game?

Just wondering because I seem to get around 1-2 a game but have only given 1 up in about 60 matches so either I defend the kickoff well or am just a good returner. And usually after the 1st or 2nd TD my opponent will start squibbing the rest of the match so when I get the ball it is usually from the 35-50 yrd line (my offense isnt that great yet though so I fail to capatilize on this).

How many kickoff return TD's is a good avg per game?

Just wondering because I seem to get around 1-2 a game but have only given 1 up in about 60 matches so either I defend the kickoff well or am just a good returner. And usually after the 1st or 2nd TD my opponent will start squibbing the rest of the match so when I get the ball it is usually from the 35-50 yrd line (my offense isnt that great yet though so I fail to capatilize on this).
what difficulty?

In rookie I would have an 80% chance of a Kickoff return for TD (this is madden 07 though)
I havnt tried in pro
all-pro I would go one every 5 or so matches
and in all-madden I would go at one every 15 or so matches

what difficulty?

In rookie I would have an 80% chance of a Kickoff return for TD (this is madden 07 though)
I havnt tried in pro
all-pro I would go one every 5 or so matches
and in all-madden I would go at one every 15 or so matches

All-pro, online play though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished my first Franchise season as Detroit. I like to build teams, so no better place to start than the 0-16 as the Lions. To add some interest I created some of the big names in college this year and put them into the free agency pool, allowing any team to grab them. I'm a wheeler and dealer, I make a lot of changes and try to acquire a lot of draft picks. For fun, I acquired Suh (as a hypothetical 1st Rounder), Golden Tate (2nd), Toby Gerhart (3rd) and Iowa boys Pat Angerer (4th) and Tyler Sash (5th).

The season didn't start well, with four starters injured, including QB Stafford out for two with a fractured jaw, TE Brandon Pettigrew out three with a fractured thumb and Jaguars discard WR Matt Jones out for eight with a fractured foot. This lead to the first lot of deals which included trading Culpepper to the Bills for a 4th Rounder, Maurice Morris and Ronald Curry to the Jets for a 3rd and 4th and Grady Jackson to the Bears for another 4th. On the eve of the season, I was forced to sign four players to fill gaps: QB Graham Harrell, TE Scott Chandler, MLB Kaluka Maiava and FB Oren O'Neal. All would turn out to be considerable contributers.

Harrell was forced into the limelight by starting the first two games as Stafford recovered, and he was servicable in losses to the Saints 31-34 and the Vikings 24-26. Stafford returned against the Skins in week 3 to lead the team to a 9-6 win and backed up with a 24-21 win over the Bears at Soldier Field. Calvin Johnson had racked up huge numbers by this stage, including games of 226 yards and 2 TDs against the Bears and 195 yards and 2 TDs against the Saints. The Lions sat at 2-2 before a huge thud back to reality; a 17-41 beat down by defending SuperBowl Champions the Pittsburgh Steelers. The slide continued against Matt Flynn and the Packers as a 14-19 loss had the Lions at 2-4 going into their bye.

After the bye, a new team. Solid wins against the Rams (21-19) and Seahawks (17-0) had Detroit at .500 again and the defense was really starting to gel together. Kaluka Maiava was a surprise packet, signed on the eve of round 1, he was the teams leading tackler to this point and had forced Larry Foote out of his starting role in the LB corps. A close loss to the Vikes (15-17) was followed by a solid win over Brady Quinn and Cleveland (24-14) with the scoreline flattering the visiting Browns. Another, all too familiar close loss followed with Matt Flynn again orchestrating a win in Aaron Rodgers' absence as the Pack beat Detroit 27-31 and left the Lions 5-6. Nothing short of an implosion by JT O'Sullivan helped the Lions recover from 0-14 down at Cincinnati to win 19-14 and with a month remaining in the regular season, the Lions were a game out of the Wildcard spot at 6-6. A tough month followed however, with three contending teams, the Ravens, Cardinals and 49ers on the schedule, followed by a divisional matchup with the Bears.

Before the Round 14 matchup the Lions swung a huge trade that could help shape the organisation in years to come, sending salary-cap gobbler DeWayne White and a 6th Rounder to Green Bay for AJ Hawk and a 2nd Rounder. Why the Packers parted ways with Hawk we'll never know, but it sets a Lions LB corp of Sims, the surprising rookie Maiava and Hawk, allowing Julian Peterson to continue to play LE.

Needless to say the Lions were given a lesson in how to finish the season, copping a 9-34 flogging by a Troy Smith lead Baltimore, a 29-31 loss to Matt Leinart and the Cards, a 31-41 shootout loss to the 49ers and a horrid second-string loss to the Bears (14-44). From 6-6 and contending for the playoffs, the Lions fell to 6-10 and finished with a top 10 draft pick.

Matthew Stafford finished 6th in the NFL with 3622 yards from 14 games, but also threw a league-leading 25 interceptions, with only 17 touchdowns. Kevin Smith and Toby Gerhart lead the running game which finished 29th in the league, and probably lead to a string of those Stafford interceptions. Smith failed to rush for any more than 73 yards in a game in the second half of the season whilst only recording 2 touchdowns in that span.

Calvin Johnson capped a stellar Pro Bowl season with 91 catches for 1342 yards and 6 touchdowns, including 5 games of 100+ yards. He also finished top in the NFL in YAC. First year receiver Golden Tate had 48 receptions for 639 yards as well as posting over 1000 yards in kick returns at an average of 27. Matt Jones recovered from injury to post over 500 yards and 2 TDs.

While AJ Hawk finished as the leading tackler, Suh actually posted the most for the team with 65, including 34 tackles for loss and 5 sacks. The top 5 tacklers were Hawk, Suh, Sims, Maiava and Peterson, which lays the foundation of a solid front 7 for years to come in Detroit.

Anthony Henry was solid in the secondary registering 4 picks and 30+ tackles and booking himself a Pro Bowl ticket alongside Peterson and Calvin Johnson.

Areas to improve for next season are the running games (29th in NFL), the defensive passing game (32nd in NFL), the pass rush (32nd in sacks in NFL) and penalties (32nd in NFL with a gap of 24 more penalties for over 350 more yards). With a 1st Round pick at #10, along with two 2nd Rounders, two 3rd Rounders, two 4th Rounders and three 5th Rounders, there should be a fair turnover of players for next season with emphasis being on building a better Offensive Line and a better secondary.

On the other college players I created; Tim Tebow played the first 4 games for Jacksonville, throwing 2 picks and being sacked 6 times in his first game. He finished with 3 TDs and 4 INTs in 6 games. Colt McCoy was taken by the Titans and threw for 2113 yards and 20 TDs, booking a playoff birth before being injured. Jimmy Clausen was one of five starters for Houston, leading the team in yards with 1411 and 8 TDs. Sam Bradford lead the Oakland Raiders in yards and TDs as he split time with JaMarcus Russell.

Don't go for the deep passes - go for medium passes then try and get yards after the catch. I would try and do a few play action passes, confuse the defence a bit and hopefully Knox or Hester outrun the zone.

GG will also go on saying it's the art of how you pass the ball

a) it IS the art of how you pass the ball, i never have a problem going deep often and getting big gains and long TDs.

b) buying time in the pocket, pump-faking, as well as good play-calling also helps. eg, if you're always calling deep go routes and 4 WR sets, the cpu/human will twig onto you quickly. but if you trick it by being unpredictable then you WILL have plays where only within the first 2 seconds of the snap, the WR has beaten his CB and is wide open deep.

some examples...having an effective run game, calling an I-form with a receiver going deep, maybe a play-action, the cpu/human will be thinking run or short pass, and the DBs often get exposed.

c) also down and distance. 3rd and short, going for a playaction bomb, or calling a normal pass play from say a singleback-big formation. but calling a 4WR shotgun on 3rd and long is pretty easy to defend.

d) also pre-snap reads, should be taking time to analyze the D's formation and alignments, can read then what they're likely doing, and how to exploit it, by say, motioning a WR to the other side of the field and/or changing a route to a deep one, etc, finding flaws in the D's set up.

My short 3rd down play action aren't really working either, guess it's pretty hard also to have an effective run game with the Bears, averaging about 3 ypc in my franchise.

Have it pretty realistic, i'll play with Vikings or Titans for fun and average over 5.

My biggest pass plays have come off screen plays, a quick screen to Aramoshadu went for 79 the other day, just can't get some nice over the top passes to my quick recievers, even if they're one on one.

the way play-action works in madden is this...
the code factors in:
a) what the ypc ave is for your rushing at the time
b) the awareness, play-recognition, man/zone attributes are for the defenders.

just like in real football, an effective working run game is the foundation for play-action working.

screens work really well in madden, but like all things in madden, the money plays all have their kryptonite. why being one-dimensional on offense is suicide, because the cpu/human will just keep calling the play(s) that contain the money plays one leans on too heavily. why unpredicatibility is key to everything. or doing things that the other team doesnt expect at the time.

practice mode is your best friend to figure out how to do things or do them better. im not big-noting myself btw. i hadnt played madden for about 2 years when i first played madden 10, and i was rusty and pathetic. i spent hours in practice mode just re-learning and discovering new things. also EA are to be commended with one thing....in madden 10 they HAVE made it more and more like real football, so it has become more pressing on gamers to actually utilize football strategy and skill (like how you pass the ball) rather than in the past when gamers could get away with being purely exploiters of glitches (eg, rocket catches).

I'm totally happy with the rest of my game, if I was a better team i'd have a better running game and i guess my deep balls may work better.

Certainly don't like to run money plays 24/7, for my franchise, just for a challenge I ask madden and just run those plays coz I can't be bothered finding a play 70 times a game (just for offense), but every now and then i'd like a nice lobbed 30+ pass over a safety or corner like Cutler is capable of in real life.

Every time I try it the reciever is clobbered by one or two defenders.

Ok i get what you're saying better....that thing about getting clobbered by DBs in the act of catching is a common obstacle.

Like Larkis said i would say, it is about how you pass the ball, (the left stick), as well as a few of the other things i mentioned having some influence in why that might be happening a lot to you....play-calling, reading the D, finding weaknesses, motioning a player, changing routes, down-distance, etc.

Like i said, i often have success passing deep, and sometimes without even having a run game at all. point being, if a schmuck like me can do it, so can a smart guy like you.

I also find it helps to change your audible packages quite often, they're still plays you should be comfortable with though. I'm playing with the Lions at the moment, so I've had a lot of the same troubles with deep balls, too often I'd just go to Calvin and the defense clued on.

Now in my 2nd season, I have strengthened my O-Line to buy Stafford time in the pocket, and I play a Manning-esque type game. For instance, my first possession of the game I might play a no huddle, then I'll run on all 3 downs the next possession, then I'll audible 3 or 4 times at the line the next possession, then I'll play dump and catch.

The most effective thing I've found with bad teams is sending receivers in motion. Sometimes you've got a 3 receiver set and you send the slot guy in motion to the other side, and the CB wont go with him, he might choose to double team the wideout.

GG is right, Madden 10 doesn't allow for arcade gamers, it's a simulation in every sense of the word, so you need to treat it as such.

I'll give you a deep play that works really well.
Titans playbook, H-Strong formation, the last play choosable, the play-action that has the FB motioning across the LOS then runs a short out-route, while one WR does a deep post-route and the other receiver does a go route.
This play works exceptionally well because that particular post route has a litte out and in that often allows the WR to beat his CB deep.
What you do is see what the high safety is doing pre-snap, if he creeps up for run support, you WILL get a wide open WR and 80 yard TD. If he stays back you will have to use the left stick very skillfully that should see the WR still get the catch if the ball is placed properly---as the CB will more often than not get beaten and end up a WR vs FS contest.

If you lean on this play more than once, the defense will start to focus on that WR and leave the other WR one-on-one in man coverage. Within a second or two, that WR should beat his CB and to get those passes to work you should be pushing up on the left stick AFTER you pass the ball to place the ball where your receiver has the advantage and should haul it in 7/10 times.

There are certain routes that work well....those post routes that have a little out and in at the point of the cut towards the post part. Go routes. Those deep routes where the receiver arcs towards the sideline then goes deep. And those long arcing deep in routes that stretch across the field that you often see in play-action diagrams. Deep corner routes work well. And those deep routes that have several cuts inside like a crooked S.

They will work often. It's a matter of checking the safeties pre-snap, correct timing of pressing the button just after a WR makes a cut in his route, not before, not too long after. And also using the left stick to put the ball where the receiver is advantaged.

The simple idea being putting the ball so that your WR is between the DB and the ball. It doesnt have to be very obvious what you see on the field. Every single play the WR and the CB are positioned a certain way. The WR behind the CB, in front of the CB, to the left of or the right of the CB, etc. No matter whether it's short, med, or deep pass, the second you decide to throw to a WR see where he's positioned in relation to the CB, press the pass button and THEN push the left stick in the direction that will favor the WR. What you will see automatically happen is the CPU controlled WR will adjust in flight to catch the ball where you've placed it and the CB or FS wont adjust.

User-catching is also very handy, but it often incites the CPU to force those clobbering animations to happen more. Because it's a recent addition to a Madden update that they wont tell you about. User-catching has a little secret trick in it that can be exploitable a bit, but the recent update has made it even harder or worse to user-catch due to extra attention by the CPU to force an incomplete pass. Better to just use the left stick and let the CPU handle the WR and you wont clobbered as much.

But there are times or ways to make the user-catch work well. Like literal 50 yard bombs. Where you gently tap the pass button, then push say down on the left stick and hold it, then while the ball is in the air you circle to control the WR, do NOT touch the left stick or sprint or anything, just let the WR do what he's already doing, then when your WR approaches the arc where the ball is going to land you push the RIGHT stick DOWN to mimic what your QB did with the left stick, and he should be hauling those in. This will work also when throwing a deep bomb (literally) then pushing up and to the sideline with the left stick, then controlling the WR, then waiting, then pushing up and to the sideline with the right stick. Whichever way you pushed the left stick you push the right stick for the WR.

Just they have to be really deep arcing bombs to work best like this. But generally you will attract extra CPU clobbering animations when doing user-catches.

Your tips have been a godsend to me GG, before I took in your advice I was 0-25 in online play, since then Ive been 33-40... still a losing record but a great improvement, Im now putting up 5 game win streaks so my next goal it to get to .500 overall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back