Matchday 33

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like it's filled up quite a bit now NUFC Tiger
Yeah doesn't look too promising does it borderline...sadly some fans said they would still go and support the team regardless (homestly no idea whu when the players don't even care) or because they didn't see the point of a boycott (as they failed to see the point as Ashley already has most of the money from season ticket sales).

What they didn't realise was that it was never about hurting his back pocket from 1 game but to send him a message that the fans were sick of his penny pinching, zero ambition regime.

Hopefully, the turnout won't deter future intiatives to try and oust him. Can only live and hope!

CC9vTwiW4AAXP1a.jpg:large

adventurous when you're on the verge of relegation

Just saw the Silva knock. Nasty. Hope he's alright, whoever it was that connected with him should expect their summer break to be starting early this year.

The official attendance was 47,427 but most clubs counts season tickets in attendance figures whether they turn up or not.

I like the idea, if not a total boycott, of staying in the concourses for the first 5 minutes of a match. Let people get used to how football would be if it wasn't for the supporters.

I'd have still gone and supported the club if I was a Newcastle fan. The same way I'd still go watch Carlton despite the fact we've been run terribly the last couple of years.

Did they get a final attendance for the game?

Why? You're happy to have your club run into the ground rather than watch a single match that has no meaning on TV?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't mean you're happy about it at all. The two aren't mutually exclusive. You can go to the game and still be unhappy.

Then why not demonstrate to your owner that you're unhappy? Would you protest at the game?

Why? You're happy to have your club run into the ground rather than watch a single match that has no meaning on TV?
Pretty sure you argued with me last year that you didnt agree with the idea of boycotts.

Changed your mind?

Pretty sure you argued with me last year that you didnt agree with the idea of boycotts.

Changed your mind?

Care to find the quotes? The only thing I could imagine I said was that they don't work because the majority of fans end up still going to the game - as happened with the Newcastle game. Or maybe that supporting the team to get an important three points is more important than boycotting, which also isn't the case for Newcastle.

How is it a problem that supporters complain about their owner but pay to go watch the team they love? I'll never understand the form of protest that sees fans refuse to watch matches.

I would never ever put issues with owners above watching my team play. I follow the team, and will watch them when I want. I think fans who boycott matches are within their right to do so but it just doesn't sit well with me. Why should the players suffer for something out side their control.

Found it:

Fair enough, but I would challenge you to find many owners who have done more active harm to their club than good.

I would never ever put issues with owners above watching my team play. I follow the team, and will watch them when I want. I think fans who boycott matches are within their right to do so but it just doesn't sit well with me. Why should the players suffer for something out side their control.

Well, exactly? That's kind of my point. Where's this ever-increasing ticket price when even the PL is doing its bit to keep prices affordable.

Exactly. So not sure what point you're making.

Well that's what you get for being a Cat A club. I paid 25 quid to watch the team against Arsenal, 5 against Swansea, and 10 against West Brom.

Pretty much along the lines of what I'm saying to Jatz. Personally I wouldn't boycott a Hull game, I would protest from within the ground. But Newcastle has nothing to play for so the impact on the team is pretty negligible.

That one's a bit worse, but 'matches' suggests more than one meaningless game. The one I found suggests that I'm ok with supporters boycotting a game, but that it doesn't sit well with me if the team is going to suffer as a result - all of which I said to Jatz. Newcastle have nothing to play for, so if the fan base has organised a boycott then I see no issue with it for one meaningless game. Alternatively those that go to the game would protest within the ground. I would be in the latter category as I prefer going to a game as well, but I see no issue with those who prefer to do the former.

CC9vTwiW4AAXP1a.jpg:large

adventurous when you're on the verge of relegation

Yeah, I thought the same Kiz - they do have the local bragging rights and it was our first home game since the derby but given how precariously close to the drop zone they are, it seemed a bit silly.

I'm sure it wasn't intentionally but the fact it happened to fly over in the 17th minute (when the crowd applaud the 2 Toon fans who died in the MH17 tragedy) cause a bit of angst with some Toon fans.

I'd have still gone and supported the club if I was a Newcastle fan. The same way I'd still go watch Carlton despite the fact we've been run terribly the last couple of years.

Did they get a final attendance for the game?

Yeah, quite a few did go to the game in spite of the calls to boycott as they wanted to 'support the team and not the regime'.

The sad thing is it seems to be causing a divide between the fans - those who boycotting saying those attend are essentially supporting Ashley by attending (and paying for match day tickets, snacks & drinks etc) whilst those who still are attending saying those who've boycotted are not 'true' fans as they aren't sticking by the team in the dark times.

The only thing I was a bit disappointed by was - for those fans that went to the game and stayed to the end, the booing at the final whistle. That's been done plenty of times in the past over the 8 year journey under Ashley and achieved nothing; which was part of the reason for the boycott (to try something new and try and generate media interest). I just don't see the point of going (for many who went, there was very little 'supporting' for the team), sitting predominantly in silence and then venting at full time. Just seems like a pointless exercise IMO.

The official attendance was 47,427 but most clubs counts season tickets in attendance figures whether they turn up or not.

I like the idea, if not a total boycott, of staying in the concourses for the first 5 minutes of a match. Let people get used to how football would be if it wasn't for the supporters.

Yeah, a lot of fans who went said there was definitely less than the 47k (some suggesting it was in the 35k-40k range) that was announced. If that's the case, that would be an encouraging start to the AshleyOut campaign (the organisers always said the challenge was trying to communicate to the 85% of fans who aren't active on social media).

The Ashley out folks published this - can see the Away section (top right) pretty much filled out but definitely plenty of empty seats (and given the club's history of lying to the fans, wouldn't be at all surprised if that 47,427 number is incorrect).

11152706_982787385066074_5409928174965214648_n.jpg

Probably also worth pointing out there were protests before and after the game which seemed quite well attended.
CC9i8GXW0AAM9bC.jpg

Saw this one doing the rounds on twitter too last night. Some free advertising for Sports Direct from the Toon fans.
:D

11150237_847747288630308_4117119763896441661_n.png

I just hope that some fans don't lose hope after some were stating the boycott 'failed'. A poll one of the local papers ran had a 48% result saying it was a failure.

It's so true what they say about people power!

OT FFS Paulinho another start:(

Haha. What did I say mate? Result never in doubt. Hope you had some money on it! :)

Edit: Fell asleep last night. Reading a match report...Paulinho apparently MoM NSFB!!! :D:eek:

Last edited:
Kreuuuzeurns perhaps the Toon army could take a leaf out of the Bluebirds' book?

Apparently your fans organised a boycott for the trip to Leeds (something to do with a 500 ticket allocation)?

Saw this on twitter this morning, looks to be all of 7 fans in the away section! Incredible effort if true.

Lazio did something similar (from last season) I believe.

1491618_847845588620478_72191991440259617_n.png

Kreuuuzeurns perhaps the Toon army could take a leaf out of the Bluebirds' book?

Apparently your fans organised a boycott for the trip to Leeds (something to do with a 500 ticket allocation)?

Saw this on twitter this morning, looks to be all of 7 fans in the away section! Incredible effort if true.

Lazio did something similar (from last season) I believe.

1491618_847845588620478_72191991440259617_n.png

If that's the Leeds stadium then I'd be more concerned about where the home fans are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back