Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
ITS OFFICIAL!!!!

At long last, pound-for-pound greats Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao will finally fight.

Yes, the fight that looms as one of the most anticipated in boxing history is finally on.

For more than five years, sports fans have clamored for a summit meeting between the two best fighters in the world, and after various failed negotiations -- and a protracted and difficult effort to make the fight in recent months -- they will get it on May 2 to unify their welterweight world titles at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

I think this deserves its own thread.
Who will be getting the fight on PPV and who are you going for?

I'm looking forward to the 3rd fight between...

Screen_Shot_2015-02-21_at_3.14.27_PM.0.0.png

How the heck does that happen?

The fight would have been better years ago but it's still great.

What time will the bell ring and fight under way ? Perth time too
Need to know whether to pull a crown sports bar all nighter or wake early
Big fights in Vegas usually happens around 1-3pm(Sundays, Melbourne time). It all depends on how long the other fights go for. I'd bunker down somewhere around 1pm(minus 3 hours for perth?) for this big event.

Certainly should have happened at least 4-6 years ago.

It's a shame because it would have been an incredible fight with Pacquiao at his absolute peak. Unfortunately, he has slipped. Doesn't have the snap on his punches any more, his foot speed is a shadow of what it was and after that brutal knockout from Marquez, I am skeptical that he will ever again have the aggression required to beat a technician like Mayweather. He was winning that fight against Marquez and probably would have won by stoppage himself shortly thereafter but that punch was immense and caught him coming in - it would have KO'd most if not all fighters... that's what is so disappointing because a KO like that tends to ruin a great chin and a fighter's confidence.

I think Pacquiao will win 2-3 round early in the fight. He will use his agility to get in range and throw combinations, and I think he will land a lot more than most of the previous "challengers". But without that snap in his punches that he had circa-2007-10, he won't do enough damage to ever have Floyd in trouble. He has never been a 'swarmer' who is effective on the inside, but rather an aggressive boxer-puncher who throws from mid-range, and after that Marquez KO he won't be aggressive enough to smother PBF and restrict his ability to counter from a distance (his obvious strength). By the 5th or 6th round, Floyd will adjust to Pacquaio's erratic attacks, tweak his game-plan to stop being troubled by the southpaw stance, start to control the tempo and dominate the rounds, and the fight will go one of two ways: Either Pacquiao will continue to try to be effective with plan A and will lose a fairly comfortable unanimous decision; or being the mega-fight that it is, his pride will get the better of him and he will start lunging in to pursue a knockout. It's a bad habit that he got away with at his peak because of his speed and the 'threat' of his power, but he won't get away with it anymore against a guy like PBF, and he will get stopped within 10 rounds if it goes down this path.

I hold out hope that Pacquiao has one last hurrah in him and can lay that arrogant twat out for us all. But this will be business as usual for Floyd and he should do it fairly easily. Without his peak speed and power, he just doesn't have the style to really trouble Floyd (like the much more limited Maidana did for example).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the casuals, it has nothing on the main fight but it's worth watching a fighter by the name of Vasyl Lomachenko on the undercard. He only had a 396-1 record (not a typo) in the amateurs and then won a world title in his third pro fight. The one guy he lost to in the amateurs he ended up defeating twice after that. In the pro ranks he probably would have got a world title in his second fight had Salido not come in 11 pounds heavier and if there was a competent ref in the ring. A ridiculously good boxer who would be attracting a lot of media attention if he was American or British and not Ukrainian.

For the casuals, it has nothing on the main fight but it's worth watching a fighter by the name of Vasyl Lomachenko on the undercard. He only had a 396-1 record (not a typo) in the amateurs and then won a world title in his third pro fight. The one guy he lost to in the amateurs he ended up defeating twice after that. In the pro ranks he probably would have got a world title in his second fight had Salido not come in 11 pounds heavier and if there was a competent ref in the ring. A ridiculously good boxer who would be attracting a lot of media attention if he was American or British and not Ukrainian.
Yeah he is a good prospect, oozes talent but turned pro quite old as you implied so won't have the time to really build a great resume.

His footwork and defence are excellent, has a high work rate and strings some amazing combinations together. The hype around him is enormous but realistically he is still untested against the best at 126 and I'm going to hold off before declaring he would beat Willie Pep and Henry Armstrong like some people are. Still, I look forward to seeing what he can do.

Been hearing a few rumors that the PPV will cost $100...If so, I suspect Main Event will miss out on a few buys

Been hearing a few rumors that the PPV will cost $100...If so, I suspect Main Event will miss out on a few buys

Yeah it's $100 in the US so it's likely to be even more here. I'm going to get a few mates over the chip in because the price is obscene. After finally mounting my projector in my theater room I suspect I'll have a few takers....

Normally Floyd ppvs are $70 in the U.S. but only $40 here so Im not sure it will be more here.

Nothing on main event about it tho
So not sure what's going on.

i can't believe those pricks are selling the PBC Garcia and Stevenson fights on ppv when they are on FTA in the US.

Normally Floyd ppvs are $70 in the U.S. but only $40 here so Im not sure it will be more here.

i can't believe those pricks are selling the PBC Garcia and Stevenson fights on ppv when they are on FTA in the US.

To be honest I've never bought a Mayweather PPV so I wasn't aware of that. I only ever watch his fights after the fact or at a sportsbar.... not worth the money.

Fingers crossed it's a bit cheaper. Main Event mentioned on their FB page that they're waiting on pricing for the US before publishing their prices here (I'm guessing they mean licencing prices).

Looking forward to this. and garcia vs peterson being a ppv is an absolute rort. i'll be watching it as i always do but not for $29.95

Spewing garcia moved to showtime, i rather watch my boxing on hbo's coverage, love listening to my man roy jones jr commentate

Spot on mate.... Main Event are saying $59.95.

I must say 60 sounds a lot better than 100

Remove this Banner Ad

Back