Boxing May 2nd - Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I will too. :D

I just have a feeling about this fight the closer we get (I initially thought it would be a comfortable Floyd victory). After Pacquiao beat Morales in the second fight, a few of his die-hard fans suggested that he would soon be beating the likes of Ricky Hatton and Miguel Cotto on ESB and the like. They were laughed out of the joint. A few short years later he had destroyed De La Hoya, Cotto, Hatton, old Mosley and Margarito and made the all-knowing boxing community look like fools. Yes, that was a prime Pacquiao. Yes, his style was suited to come forward fighters. But I just can't count him out... he has the weapons to really trouble Floyd (except for a good jab - but the straight left from a southpaw will compensate for that). If Pacquiao gets through his guard and hurts him early, it could be very interesting to see how Floyd and his ego react on the biggest boxing stage since the fab 4 were doing the rounds. I just have this strange feeling that this fight will not go as expected...... I just really hope it isn't an early stoppage for Floyd. :oops:

If Pacquiao can be disciplined with his movement and aggression, avoid early body shots in order to maintain his workrate for 12 rounds, and either use the lead left hand more often or use his jab as more than a probe.... he is eyes-deep in this fight.

"If Pacquiao gets through his guard and hurts him early" - I think all the analysts agree that's what needs to happen. But Mayweather is so bloody hard to nail. That's why he's 47-0.

What are people doing for the fight ?

I still havent decided.

There's a pub within walking distance thats showing it which will be a good atmosphere but you dont always get a good view and cant hear it, plus you miss some while queueing for beers etc.

option 2 I could get the ppv and have a bbq but none of my mates really follow boxing so they will be in and out and talking crap etc.

option 3 is get the ppv and kick the wife and kid out and watch alone with no distractions.

alot of people are going with option 3. Not sure yet.

I still havent decided.

There's a pub within walking distance thats showing it which will be a good atmosphere but you dont always get a good view and cant hear it, plus you miss some while queueing for beers etc.

option 2 I could get the ppv and have a bbq but none of my mates really follow boxing so they will be in and out and talking crap etc.

option 3 is get the ppv and kick the wife and kid out and watch alone with no distractions.

Pub is the go :thumbsu:

I still havent decided.

I'm going option 2.... but with only 2 mates who are mildly interested in boxing. The last thing I want is people who don't give a s**t distracting me. I hate watching Pacquiao fights at the pub because the local Filipino population tends to make a decent vantage point impossible! (Great atmosphere though).

I'm going option 2.... but with only 2 mates who are mildly interested in boxing. The last thing I want is people who don't give a s**t distracting me. I hate watching Pacquiao fights at the pub because the local Filipino population tends to make a decent vantage point impossible! (Great atmosphere though).

The best pubs for fights are those with multiple screens and preferably multiple bars as well. Get there early choose the best spot and ensure your mates hold your spot for you when you head off for beers or a piss.

The best pubs for fights are those with multiple screens and preferably multiple bars as well. Get there early choose the best spot and ensure your mates hold your spot for you when you head off for beers or a piss.

Yeah I usually go to a sports bar with many screens, but the place is serious brimming with Filipinos on Pacquiao fight day. Great people and I love talking boxing with them.... but they're there before the card even starts most of the time! But I'm happy to pay for this fight... it will look better on my projector anyway.

Im picking Pac to win a close decision. Watching De La Hoya land his left jab against Floyd last night before he ran out of gas as usual, Floyd couldn't really avoid it at all. I think Manny's left will land enough to make Floyd cautious early and lose rounds. FLoyd will adjust but Pac isnt going to gas like his usual opponents and might be able to rally late and take it.

Pac isnt the same fighter he was but Floyd isnt either, he's fought a long line of hand-picked flat-footed sluggers since Mosley and the fact that he struggled with someone like Maidana twice (Who Devon Alexander outboxed to a shutout) shows he's well past his best. He'll be suprised how quaicjly a little guy like Pac can close the range and land.

Also I think the crowd will be on Pac's side so he might get any closed rounds.
I reckon if Pac is going to win he's basically going to have knock him out. If it goes to points it's hard to see Floyd losing, his defense it too solid.

Pubs are going to be a nightmare for this one I reckon, I'm going to a mates house, there'll be 3 of us and just watching every punch. Way too risky to stream this one, don't want to miss a thing (even though it might be a snoozefest).

uploadfromtaptalk1430303604501.png Anyone know what this would be like? Want to go down to the footy, but also don't want to miss a punch.

Best place in Melbourne to watch this? I'll be over this weekend and am hoping to watch this fight before the Dons Saints game, is that even possible?

Best place in Melbourne to watch this? I'll be over this weekend and am hoping to watch this fight before the Dons Saints game, is that even possible?

Me and about 10 mates do Sunday sessions at the Sporting Globe for the UFC and Boxing, that rolls into the footy. Any of them would be good. I know the one in Moonee Ponds is having Will Tomlinson making an appearance.

Betting closes at 130pm so that's usually a good guide it won't start before then but could still be later.

Off-topic I know, but Billy Dib vs Takashi Miura for the WBC title is on free to air TV tomorrow night - Channel 9 I think and around 10pm - check your TV guide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On SEN this morning Matthew Campbell from Sportsbet said 3/4 of the bets they are taking on the fight are for Pacquiao.

But as we know, in big events like this people tend to be with their hearts not their heads.

I'm hearing tickets for the weigh-in, which were originally being sold for $10 and the money going to charity, are now being scalped for $250 plus.

KB was saying there are packages for the flight including private jet flights luxury hotel for 3 nights and 4 seats for just $800,000

KB was saying there are packages for the flight including private jet flights luxury hotel for 3 nights and 4 seats for just $800,000

The people in the ringside seats won't need to applaud. They can just rattle their jewelry.

If only this was Mannys next fight after he decimated Cotto.......

then THIS changed everything....

187sazmavic1cgif.gif

5 years too late

How do you book it on Main Event Channel? I don't have phone line connected to Fox so best to call Foxtel to book it?

Half the town is Filipinos here ... could prob sell loungeroom seats for $20 and throw some beers on :)

A lot of the more learnered boxing aficionados are saying referee Kenny Bayless will have the biggest influence on the outcome of the fight as he has a full on eagerness to split in the clinches within seconds, and sometimes before it even happens he will warn the fighters, and that is to Mayweathers advantage especially with the smaller Pacquiano. They are also questioning why Freddie even agreed to have him referee.

A lot of the more learnered boxing aficionados are saying referee Kenny Bayless will have the biggest influence on the outcome of the fight as he has a full on eagerness to split in the clinches within seconds, and sometimes before it even happens he will warn the fighters, and that is to Mayweathers advantage especially with the smaller Pacquiano. They are also questioning why Freddie even agreed to have him referee.

Mayweather is the more effective inside fighter and uses clinches to great effect... I don't think Kenny will have a bearing on the result. People confuse Pacquiao's proclivity to fighting on the front-foot with inside ability... he is an explosive mid-range fighter and is mediocre on the inside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back