MCG may be football-free next July

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soccer sux!!! Rules rulez!!! :drunk:

In all seriousness I'm booking my tickets. It's not often you're going to see some of the worlds greatest players in a particular sport on your doorstep. To the ignorant fools against this. Suffer in your jocks.

Pretty poor form for the MCC to keep the AFL in the dark for so long about this, that's the kind of s**t I'd expect from those running Etihad. The timing isn't exactly great considering the Cricket WC forces the later start and cuts the season a week shorter.

That said, it'd be good if some of the money from this flowed on to the Junction Oval redevelopment so that the Shield Final could finally be moved there, allowing an earlier start to the AFL season, along with greater flexibility for use of the MCG in future (including for other events like this).

Disrespectful? Bugger off, the AFL did everything in it's power to stop the world cup from being played in Melbourne during the negotiation process and was pretty happy with itself. (Y)

What complete and utter rubbish. The AFL (quite rightly) refused to suspend their season, nor give up their second biggest stadium in Melbourne. They did their bit in conceding the MCG, it's amazing that some people expected them to cease operating for 10 weeks.

The AFL aren't the reason we didn't get the World Cup, that happened because Lowy didn't bribe enough people.

It's easy to see how this degenerates into another soccer vs footy slagging match between diehards, but if Caro's article on the contractual situation is correct, I only see it as a minor inconvenience to the AFL. Surely the AFL will be able to schedule matches there on Friday 24th July and Sunday 26th July and then on Saturday and Sunday 1st + 2nd August. The MCG has the responsibility to get the venue in shape for both sports and it has shown that it can do so quickly in the past.

Hopefully there's still availability on those dates. It's unreasonable to expect the AFL to forfeit use of the venue on days where it won't even be used by the visiting soccer clubs.

It's not as simple as scheduling the bye week then either, due to there only being one next year, it would realistically fall a full month before this tournament is due to take place.

Firstly I'm bigger soccer fan than i am footy fan.

But watching a soccer game an oval ground is terrible. unless you're on the second level you can't see s**t. and no way a 100,000 seat stadium is necessary. i get it they want to showcase one of the worlds great stadiums but we have AAMI park which holds 30,000 which will be more than enough people and much better suited to soccer tournament. get the storm to go on a 4 week road trip.

Flying those teams out here to play in a 30k stadium would be a waste of time and money.

For all their complaining, nothing will happen. The AFL will not have enough balls to potentially impact attendances by scheduling more games at Etihad as punishment to the MCG. They'll just work around it by giving an Etihad club the Friday and Saturday night timeslots or scheduling them interstate.

If the AFL wanted to ensure they get the venue whenever they wanted, they should have negotiated that in their last contract when they had more power.

pretty sure its AAMI park, i could be wrong it's where ever they are hosting england in this year, apparently it's going to be the last NRL test until they sort the s**t out.

Just want to point out here that AAMI Park is a brand new world class stadium set in Melbournes famous sporting precinct, i highly doubt it is the stadium you are thinking of, the place kicks ass.

Not quite right!

The Stadium is controlled by the MCG Trust appointed by the government.The MCC are only the ground managers - they dont own the ground and never have.

Apparently the Agreement between the AFL and MCC has a get out clause for the MCC if they want let the ground to others.

The truth is without the money from the AFL every year the MCG would be nothing like the place it is today.
Maybe the AFL should have kept Waverley Park as a bargaining chip but that is $110 million and a long time ago.

Personally I dont care if the soccer plays in the middle of winter at night and maybe the AFL can make that the season half way bye round.
If the infrastructure was there I don't think there would even be a discussion. Waverly would be the default big game ground and grand finals would be played there. There was even 1 GF played before they tore the stadium down. The only thing that killed Waverly was no public transport at or near the ground, something which Etihad & MCG haven't had the misfortune of dealing with.

The Adelaide Oval is a Cricket & Football ground. Are you really saying that the recent redevelopment of the Adelaide Oval would have gone ahead without Adelaide & Port Adelaide moving back to the city?

Really?

Are you dense?

To see how silly you are being - do you know the story of Derby County?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_Ground

Derby County FC played at the "Baseball Ground" from 1895-2003.

Does that mean the "Baseball Ground" was a baseball ground in the 1990s? I don't think so mate! Baseball hadn't been played at the "Baseball Ground" by a recognised Baseball team since the 1890s. BUT - By your logic - it was still primarily a "Baseball Ground" because that was it's name.

See if you can understand how illogical are the things you've been saying........

The last time I checked, Adelaide Oval is still used primarily as a Cricket oval, it has been for a very long time and will continue to be used as a cricket ground for a very long time. Maybe you want to correct me if I'm wrong because I think all of my neurons aren't quite firing today, but wasn't the AO redevelopment funded by the state government and then the two Adelaide clubs came to a contractual agreement to play there? I'm sure the redevelopment was either done, or strongly considered the potential for AFL games to be played there, but it could well just as likely been done to increase capacity during the cricket season.

I really don't see what the confusion is. There are two main tenants, AFL from March to September, cricket from October to March. Cricket is the primary tenant of AO, SCG AND the MCG. This is why cricket cannot be bumped, changed or removed (most likely because of contracts) during their season. If the soccer goes ahead at the end of next July, it just goes to show that the AFL contract wasn't really that good and they didn't pay enough to lock out the stadium.

What's the big deal? Having Real Madrid in Melbourne is absolutely massive and it's better for the government and sports than having GWS getting raped by Hawthorn.

Is it me or are you a few cans short of a 6 pack?

Just want to point out here that AAMI Park is a brand new world class stadium set in Melbournes famous sporting precinct, i highly doubt it is the stadium you are thinking of, the place kicks ass.
That it does, view from all angles is pretty good. I haven't seen any soccer games there but I bet it's good!

The last time I checked, Adelaide Oval is still used primarily as a Cricket oval, it has been for a very long time and will continue to be used as a cricket ground for a very long time. Maybe you want to correct me if I'm wrong because I think all of my neurons aren't quite firing today, but wasn't the AO redevelopment funded by the state government and then the two Adelaide clubs came to a contractual agreement to play there? I'm sure the redevelopment was either done, or strongly considered the potential for AFL games to be played there, but it could well just as likely been done to increase capacity during the cricket season.

Its primary use as a cricket oval ceased the day that the SMA took over its management. The AO development was funded on the proviso that the AFL clubs move there, the development was not going to go ahead without them. neither the MCG nor Adelaide Oval - and its doubtful the SCG, and almost certainly not the Gabba or Bellerive - would have the capacity they do have or are getting without the presence of guaranteed AFL contracts. [See also Metricon, Sydney Showgrounds, Kardinia Park and the coming Perth Stadium.] Cricket doesnt fill these stadiums except on very rare, and generally annual occasions.

I really don't see what the confusion is. There are two main tenants, AFL from March to September, cricket from October to March. Cricket is the primary tenant of AO, SCG AND the MCG. This is why cricket cannot be bumped, changed or removed (most likely because of contracts) during their season. If the soccer goes ahead at the end of next July, it just goes to show that the AFL contract wasn't really that good and they didn't pay enough to lock out the stadium.

Cricket is not the primary tenant of either the MCG or Adelaide Oval, and is barely the primary tenant of the SCG. People get hung up on the "Cricket" part of the title - even though thats never been part of the Adelaide Oval, and football has been a major partner and by far the greater attendance draw at all three grounds - aside from 1974 to 2013 at Adelaide Oval. Lets not even talk about the Gabba.

What's the big deal? Having Real Madrid in Melbourne is absolutely massive and it's better for the government and sports than having GWS getting raped by Hawthorn.

Is it me or are you a few cans short of a 6 pack?

Spare us the personal notes.

When Liverpool came to Melbourne $10.5 mln was injected into the local Victorian economy. Shop owners are already licking their chops...potential $50 mln cash injection into local economy in one week! Real Madrid in Melbourne still pinching myself must be said.

And which of any of these events is of greater benefit than the 3 million attendees the AFL pulls through. Theres a lot of time left to run on this contract, and the AFl only has to meet bare minimums. MCC wants to screw the league thats fine. Lets see where they go for cash when the Southern Stand is due for upgrades in 2025.
The Major Events corp is now involved so it doesn't matter one bit what the AFL think or want, they have statutory powers that over-rule the AFL.

So suck it up and enjoy watching 90,000 turn up the the MCG 3 times in July, something the AFL can only have wet dreams about.

Not sure why this is being made to into a soccer v footy shitfight.

Something like this is an event as much as a sport. People will flock to these games and when its over they will go back to which sports they followed before. Its not going to make soccer any bigger or take over. It would be the same if the Cowboys and Patriots came out or the Yankees and Red Sox. Who wouldnt want to go see that ? Doesnt mean you're going to start watching local gridiron or baseball over AFL.

I went to British Lions game at etihad last year, biggest crowd ever at the venue and it was great but I havent watched a game of union since. The AFL shouldnt be threatened by this, they should focus on why crowds are down due to pricing, scheduling etc.

Not sure why this is being made to into a soccer v footy shitfight.

Something like this is an event as much as a sport. People will flock to these games and when its over they will go back to which sports they followed before. Its not going to make soccer any bigger or take over. It would be the same if the Cowboys and Patriots came out or the Yankees and Red Sox. Who wouldnt want to go see that ? Doesnt mean you're going to start watching local gridiron or baseball over AFL.

I went to British Lions game at etihad last year, biggest crowd ever at the venue and it was great but I havent watched a game of union since. The AFL shouldnt be threatened by this, they should focus on why crowds are down due to pricing, scheduling etc.

its not a soccer v footy fight. This is an issue between the MCC and the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is not a Soccer V AFL fight, the MCC must respect it's major tenant and satisfy the AFL first and foremost. Of course we should have these teams out here, but the AFL are well within their rights to hold their ground as far as scheduling is concerned, particularly now that they will get the double whammy with the World Cup Cricket eating into the start of the season. This Soccer exhibition tournament can work around the AFL schedule, i expect Gilligan not to give an inch here and rightly so. It can be arranged without difficulty, it just takes some working out and i am sure they will, but not at the AFL's expense! The AFL should schedule matches as planned and are already under pressure to fix scheduling issues. I can't see why the Soccer matches cannot be played on a Wednesday night and late Sunday afternoon?

soccer is a minority sport in australia and should be treated as such. they should get etihad and be thankful for that. get em gillon.
Doesn't matter that more people in Australia play soccer each week that AFL does it.

Face it the AFL is an insignificant dot on the world's sporting landscape that only part of the nation care about. Soccer though has the power to stop civil wars

Doesn't matter that more people in Australia play soccer each week that AFL does it.

Face it the AFL is an insignificant dot on the world's sporting landscape that only part of the nation care about. Soccer though has the power to stop civil wars

Not in Australian though, and last i checked this is still Australia. This crap gets trotted out every time these issues arise. Soccer isnt big here at the pro level, has never been. Yes its great for the Euro FIFO sides, but when they've played their one off games and gone hoe, we're left with a second rate product that even supporters of the round ball code cant be bothered getting behind.

When Liverpool came to Melbourne $10.5 mln was injected into the local Victorian economy. Shop owners are already licking their chops...potential $50 mln cash injection into local economy in one week! Real Madrid in Melbourne still pinching myself must be said.
and that 10.5m was just from selling pies and beers at the G

Participation rates can be overstated in regards to a sports popularity. Lawn bowls and cycling have higher rates than any football codes. Most kids in the US never play their football and most that do never play again after high school yet the NFL goes alright.

I played Aussie rules until i was 25 and then swtiched to soccer due to having a bad back and wrecked shoulders and played that for another 14 years and loved it, doesnt mean I wouldnt rather have played footy. One day ill play lawn bowls too im sure.

no, it doesn't. i played soccer as a kid too. didn't mean s**t to me then.... means even less now.

Face it the AFL is an insignificant dot on the world's sporting landscape
who gives a s**t and what is the relevance of this statement anyway?

Soccer though has the power to stop civil wars
come again?

That's the way the AFL has decided to manage things (following the NFL model) and that's fair enough. Your point is valid. But, they're different systems.

One thing I would say, watch out for the fate of many heavily indebted Soccer clubs when the Global Financial Crisis returns (probably next year - GFC II).

Many many Soccer clubs in Europe will go bankrupt (The AFL will also face this problem, but because of the way the comp here is managed it's a lot easier for the AFL to impose a 10% wage cut across the competition by fiat in order to keep things healthy and viable than it is in one of the European leagues).

If you don't think that is possible, I'm afraid you don't know your history. Look up "Debt deflation" and the US Housing Bubble Crash while you're at it. (And that advice goes for anyone. A grand palace built on debt is a grand palace built on sand).

Can anyone here tell me what happens to Manchester City if Iran bombs and invades Abu Dhabi? Man City are toast. (Not saying that's about to happen, but you'd be a fool to discount the possibility entirely).

Just like you'd be a fool to count on the success of (Russian) Chelsea in the coming years. Abramovich is likely to have Chelsea confiscated off him at some point by the UK Government.

i don't really understand what you're getting at with all this, in this thread.

a clause in AFL/MCC agreement states that the MCC and the VIC govt can legally schedule events at the MCG during the footy season.

The AFL have erred in much of their scheduling in the last few seasons. They have have under utilised the MCG in July this year, and practically stuck the finger up at Victorian football supporters who want to attend live matches in favour for TV $$$.

JackFlash said:
Then the Victorian Government is placing the game in jeopardy. With the World Cricket Cup already causing a headache with scheduling why would Napthine put up a wall to prevent the AFL from rectifying a problem they now recognise and wish to correct? Attendances are well down and the Essendon saga, match scheduling and ticket pricing have worn down the average footy fan and people are not going to the game. The AFL cannot afford another mediocre season in 2015. I would prefer Real Madrid & Barcelona to play elsewhere.

how are the VIC govt placing the game in jeopardy? Did they tell the AFL not to schedule 2pm games at the MCG this season? Did they tell the AFL to schedule games at times supporters don't want to attend the matches? did the VIC Govt implemented the unpopular ticketing strategy?

the VIC Govt have provided a world-class stadium which is one of the largest in the world for the AFL to fill up each and every weekend for their exclusive use from late March to beginning of October. how the AFL utilise it is up to them. Napthine is not putting up any wall with regard to these issues. The AFL have ****ed up their use of it.

The VIC govt know it can be accommodated going by the scheduling trend of the AFL in recent seasons. You're insisting that they put one of the biggest international events to be staged in Victoria next year on hold pending what the AFL might do, and take their word at face value that they will go against the trends of the last few seasons. Supporters don't trust the AFL. You expect an organisation too?

It's one weekend next season where the VIC Govt have: a) sought to provide a massive economic benefit and exposure to the city and state; & b) both parties signed an agreement which allows it to happen.

The AFL can rectify their poor scheduling in the other 25 odd weeks of the season. Don't hold your breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back