Melbourne 2014-15 Offseason

Remove this Banner Ad

A players worth on the open market is not a consideration unless there is a major anomaly. Franklin was clearly worth more than what the Hawks got but that is the way works. Plough (Wallace) clearly does not understand the rules. The Dees will get maximum points for age and a very high rating for length on contract - 5 years is the 2nd longest in FA history. May rate lower on contract value. The reported $600k would bolt it in but the Cats offer may be around the borderline. Age and contract length will make up for any contract $$ concerns.
If Frawley played for the Premiers they would get pick 19 if given a first round and the club would get unders and scream. If they were given a 2nd round they would get around pick 40 - the club would never get over it!!! Its just the way the system works - its only just compensation and not meant in anyway, shape of form to be fair compensation. In some ways its a tiny bit of equalisation - the bottom clubs effectively get more in draft terms because of their ladder position.

I watched it and Hutchy was probing and Shifter wasn't giving anything away, mainly because he didn't know what the outcome of the FA formula would be. Only person commenting was Wallace who, in his opinion, said Frawley wasn't worth pick 3. Which I agree with; however, a man who thought Tambling over Franklin and then has the audacity to call himself 'The List Manager' can suck a fat one.

Do you think Wallace selected Tambling over Franklin - I thought the list manager made the decision.

Jack Grimes - Pick 12 - Excellent first three years - Since then he has stagnated,some may even say gone backwards.? What's happened ?
BOG of the rehab table

Sad thing is he was a pretty reliable kick off either foot when he first came in in his first few seasons. Probably easier trying to hit up targets back then but I'm sure he was a better by foot.

Sad thing is he was a pretty reliable kick off either foot when he first came in in his first few seasons. Probably easier trying to hit up targets back then but I'm sure he was a better by foot.

Would guess it's a confidence thing more than any other real concern.

He had a long injury lay-off couple of years back yes? And has lacked continuity. Just needs to forget about being all captain-y, absorb some pressure and take the time to hit his targets. I don't think it helps at all either in terms of disposal when you go from D.Bailey fast pace running game to Paul Roos game. Roos game gives the hard-edge and more likely to play finals, but I don't know - I feel when I used to watch Grimes he'd often kick at pace rebounding, but now it's more stagnant stop-start for him the kicks aren't quite as good ?

Can't fault his defending though imo. Wouldn't give him up if I were Melbourne. Plenty of candidates to go before him who kick just as well but don't have half the defensive edge or smarts.

He had a long injury lay-off couple of years back yes? And has lacked continuity. Just needs to forget about being all captain-y, absorb some pressure and take the time to hit his targets. I don't think it helps at all either in terms of disposal when you go from D.Bailey fast pace running game to Paul Roos game. Roos game gives the hard-edge and more likely to play finals, but I don't know - I feel when I used to watch Grimes he'd often kick at pace rebounding, but now it's more stagnant stop-start for him the kicks aren't quite as good ?

Can't fault his defending though imo. Wouldn't give him up if I were Melbourne. Plenty of candidates to go before him who kick just as well but don't have half the defensive edge or smarts.

:cry:

You've made me so happy.

Injuries definitely played their part, but even when he was playing fractions of a season he still did well when he came back into the side. Possibly a victim of the regression that hit half (more?) the players during Neeld's tenure. I like Grimes and wouldn't get rid of him, but he also has to stop butchering the ball. Particularly given every turnover in the back half for us pretty well ends up in a shot on goal about 10 seconds later. One of those guys that if he'd been at Geelong or Hawthorn instead of Melbourne, would we be talking about one of the elite rebounding defenders in the game characters. I reckon we would. Knows how to play.

Grimey has a slow ball drop, the worse the team is going the more pressure he's under, the worse his kicking is particularly on his left where he really guides the ball down to his foot. He's also the only guy other than TMac who knows how to rebound in the back 6 so there isn't a lot of support. Such a sick joke that Tommy runs so well out of defense with his kicking. :(

The Age reporting Lumumba wants to come to Melbourne and both clubs think he is worth a second rounder. Can't see us giving up 21. Will need to find another pick. Possibly involving Clark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demons could have a much improved backline if they pull off the moves of Lumumba, Merrett and Frost. They might not be guns but they all provide an upgrade on the current list and will provide great support for Grimes who would benefit from not being the sole/number one defender. A bit like Rivers did at Geelong and Frawley will at Hawthorn.
Throw in maybe Gwilt as well and Melbourne's backline have some depth for their young defenders to grow. Could also allow Howe to get back up forward and provide support for Dawes and Hogan

Demons could have a much improved backline if they pull off the moves of Lumumba, Merrett and Frost. They might not be guns but they all provide an upgrade on the current list and will provide great support for Grimes who would benefit from not being the sole/number one defender. A bit like Rivers did at Geelong and Frawley will at Hawthorn.
Throw in maybe Gwilt as well and Melbourne's backline have some depth for their young defenders to grow. Could also allow Howe to get back up forward and provide support for Dawes and Hogan

Our backline is already solid to good.

McDonald, Garland, Dunn, Grimes, Howe and Jetta are a solid backline with a lot of upside left.

Frost would be good as a replacement for Frawley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back