Toast Memorable periods of bliss footy from the Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Yesterday I was watching highlights from the 2011 Round 5 match against Hawthorn. I was reminded how many highlights and momentum swings there were in this match.

But what really struck me was the period of bliss footy by Geelong in the third quarter. From Q3 9:09 remaining to Q3 3:05 remaining, Geelong kicked six goals to Hawthorn's one behind.

Six goals in six playing minutes to go from seven points down to 22 points up.

In terms of periods of bliss.
Round 17 2009 vs Hawthorn sticks out for me.

No Harley. Scarlett and Taylor both off injured around halftime and Mackie and Enright stepped up to take Roughead and Franklin.

But it was memorable given we were down for most of the game and found ourselves down by 34 points a couple of minutes into the last quarter only to run over the top of the hawks and win after the siren.

Hawks fans tears were truly delicious walking out of the G.

I see a theme here...
Ok something different. 186 vs Melbourne.

Yes it was basically a training drill against witches hats but that was as perfect football that could be played.

Hawkins 3rd term in 2011 Grand Final sits in my mind, absolute pure footy domination at its best, and against the Pies, can't beat it. Or the last play against the Hawks to win the game, absolute class.

You could argue the Qualifying Final three weeks earlier was very, very close too.
Very nice memories of that day. Everything about it, even catching the tram to the ground. Sun was out, spring was in the air. The Cats were playing finals.

Some of the passages of play that day were breathtaking. But also the defensive side - I reckon Geelong pinged North about ten times for holding the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very nice memories of that day. Everything about it, even catching the tram to the ground. Sun was out, spring was in the air. The Cats were playing finals.

Some of the passages of play that day were breathtaking. But also the defensive side - I reckon Geelong pinged North about ten times for holding the ball.
Any day Moons runs through the opposition's huddle pre game is a memorable day.

Any day Moons runs through the opposition's huddle pre game is a memorable day.
Other way around - North ran through ours. It was not far from me.

If I remember correctly, North hit the lead late in the first quarter. Might have even been McIntosh that slotted a long goal.

Then we woke up, and that was it.
Someone put up on YouTube (but subsequently seems to have disappeared?) the goal from early in the second quarter when Selwood sells an amazing dummy to Simpson on half back that starts a chain of run and carry that ends with Mooney kicking a goal. Commetti says something like 'this is why they're premiership favourites' as it starts to unfold - we just looked unstoppable.

Someone put up on YouTube (but subsequently seems to have disappeared?) the goal from early in the second quarter when Selwood sells an amazing dummy to Simpson on half back that starts a chain of run and carry that ends with Mooney kicking a goal. Commetti says something like 'this is why they're premiership favourites' as it starts to unfold - we just looked unstoppable.

At 1:55

It was a great game to watch as a Geelong fan.

In 44 years, my favourite day at the footy. Even got a tan.

Bring back Ottens. On a more serious note a fit Steve Johnson is required to win games. On a more serious note not sure that we will ever see a team like that of 2011 again.

T'was a great team - but 2007-2009 for mine.

We seriously won't see a team like that again, but at least we have the memories, the DVDs, the banter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back