Society & Culture Memories Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Haven't seen a thread dedicated to general memories and how long ago certain things happened.

Do you have bruising memories of Brandy and British Bulldog?
Were you on the road when you saw a vehicle suddenly catch fire?
Were any of you stuck on any rides?
Were you out in public and have your pants suddenly splitting in front of others?
Were any of you in the crowd at the Cricket and grab the ball when it was whacked for a 6?

One of my earliest memories was going to The Glen with my family in prep and starting proceedings with a spot of grocery shopping at Franklin's before eventually finding ourselves in the food court where some of the family had some coffee.
I always remember it being near a fruit and veg shop.

Living in Boronia, our house was big (2 storey 3 level) and one of most common/favoured activities was building a couch fort.

A few times I went to the North Eltham adventure playground.
No playground for me will beat that.

In grade 2, no memory will outshine my viewing of Tony Lockett's 1300th goal.
I watched it in the kids part of the Croydon Pub.

Your memories can be good, bad, ugly, regretful, embarrassing, sad, boring and dead right funny.

With the funnies, in Year 11, my year had this exchange student from Iceland.
At first, he was shy as people who enter new environment's naturally are.
This one day (it happened to be his last day,) the rest of my year successfully coaxed him into running out onto the Football oval in a mankini.
It was absolutely gold.

Over to you guys for some reminiscing.

Remember having a stinker of a night as a 10 year old in 1994. Not only did I knock my sister out at the dodgem cars, I also chucked in a jumping castle. Lesson learned was that multiple plates of spag bol and ice cream don't mix well with fun fairs at Hervey Bay.

I remember GG , not for being a good poster, but a poster. I think the gov caught up with and gave him a chemical lobotomy to stop him spreading trooth.

Remember having a stinker of a night as a 10 year old in 1994. Not only did I knock my sister out at the dodgem cars, I also chucked in a jumping castle. Lesson learned was that multiple plates of spag bol and ice cream don't mix well with fun fairs at Hervey Bay.

Had a similar experience as a near 8 year old in 1999.

Must've had a sizeable feed prior to getting on the Matterhorn down at Point Nepean.

Went forwards on the Matterhorn which went a treat.

I pushed my luck in wanting to go backwards.

Not a minute after getting off and a solid chunder took place.

I remember GG , not for being a good poster, but a poster. I think the gov caught up with and gave him a chemical lobotomy to stop him spreading trooth.
I would contribute to this good thread, unfortunately, I cannot be certain my memories are real or just implanted. At least I have a hot Sharon Stone-like blonde to keep me distracted.

British Bulldog was s**t-scary. Brandy was good fun. Will never forget the pain of a freshly wetted tennis ball being pegged at the Jatz Crackers by a state cricketer from a metre away. The fill-in phys ed teacher just said "tender aye?" I wasn't in 2009 then. It felt like 1972

If you think of one memory immediately when prompted to think of memories, then you don't have very good ones. You should be overwhelmed by selection and genre and need stricter perimeters to make you say "oh * so once..."

First kiss. ;)
I never remember any of this s**t. The most profound memories for me are usually in the out-of-ordinary or finding something special in something most people don't. I can't remember my first beer or any rite of passage like that

Continuing the sideshow ride spew theme.

The Gravitron at the Perth Royal Show when we were about 12 years old.

It was like a circular spaceship where you stood in front of these cushions on the wall and it would spin faster and faster until you got pinned to the wall by gravitational forces and couldn't move.

Not good when you had a bellyful of milkshakes, lollies and popcorn, I can remember staggering out of it and having a massive spew.

I heard some other kid spewed inside it so everyone copped his spew across their faces due to the G forces.

People were still queuing up for it though and paying good money for the experience.

That was what you did at that age though, you pushed the boundaries on rides, it was a s**t ride if you didn't spew after it.

Continuing the sideshow ride spew theme.

The Gravitron at the Perth Royal Show when we were about 12 years old.

It was like a circular spaceship where you stood in front of these cushions on the wall and it would spin faster and faster until you got pinned to the wall by gravitational forces and couldn't move.

Not good when you had a bellyful of milkshakes, lollies and popcorn, I can remember staggering out of it and having a massive spew.

I heard some other kid spewed inside it so everyone copped his spew across their faces due to the G forces.

People were still queuing up for it though and paying good money for the experience.

That was what you did at that age though, you pushed the boundaries on rides, it was a s**t ride if you didn't spew after it.

The rotor at Luna Park was better. Used to spend hours on that as a kid.

I remember the day i joined BF.
06 - crows had just lost ANOTHER prelim to WC.
Had some choice words for Ian Perrie and Scott Welsh
I have a Crows supporting friend who says that his love of football diminished the day Ian Perrie was delisted and he had to find something or someone else to take out his frustrations in life on.

brandings was great at school. i was a pretty good cricketer and had a fairly solid arm on me. along with a couple of other cricketers we were definitely the more feared members on the brandings paddock. copped a few bruises over the years but i definitely ended up on the positive side of the ledger. i could never understand why some of the kids who just could not throw to save themselves would continue to play every lunch time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When they announced that goalies could only take 3 steps once he's picked up the ball. We were all mad about that rule, except the goalie, he was a good goalie.

Going on a holiday to Disney Land - I ate this weird jelly - still can taste/feel the bizarre texture.

British Bulldog was s**t-scary. Brandy was good fun. Will never forget the pain of a freshly wetted tennis ball being pegged at the Jatz Crackers by a state cricketer from a metre away. ."

Lol, the United States have dodgeball -which is terrifying btw- and we have Brandy.

I never remember any of this s**t. The most profound memories for me are usually in the out-of-ordinary or finding something special in something most people don't. I can't remember my first beer or any rite of passage like that

I actually remember my first beer. Was a heatwave, down at Portarlington in the mid 80s, and drinking the water wasnt the best idea at the time so mum gave us kids each a glass of beer. Thought it was the best thing ever, yes I was about 7 yo. Surprisingly I am not an alcoholic. :D

To be honest...I have a billion memories of my childhood. So much one tries to forget or can't believe really happened (terrible bad stuff). But I also have a bunch of good memories (good in the sense of sweetly sad). Just silly snapshot moments like looking over the wooden fence on a summer day and watching the neighbor children playing and laughing, etc.

Going on a holiday to Disney Land - I ate this weird jelly - still can taste/feel the bizarre texture.

That's called jizz and it wasnt disneyland it was your uncles basement.

Some others that I'll share here.....

- Christmas 1992 in suburban Glenroy. Remember playing with my sisters presents as much as mine (keyboard), playing pool badly (I was 8) and staying up till about 1AM.

- Christmas 1994 in Bendigo. Pretty bored at a gathering

- Christmas 1996 in Rockhampton, before lunch across the road at the old man's 2nd wife's fathers place was spent watching Boxing in the days when there was only 1 Fox Sports channel.

- New Year's Eve 1997/New Year's Day 1998 at Craigieburn. Before midnight I spent an hour imitating Kiwi medium pacer Chris Harris in the hallway without anyone noticing. After midnight I spent about 5 hours playing Golf on the old NES before eventually falling asleep.

-

For years I remembered being in my Mum's little red Ford Laser when it broke down, and being picked up in my uncle's XR8. I told Mum about it one day and she was surprised, as I was only 2 at the time.

Earlier in the year I was in the backyard washing bottles (my old man brews beer - I drink it, so I do what I can to help), and while they soaked, I sat on the grass in the heat and looked up at the cloudless blue sky. I don't know why, but it just brought back a flood of memories. Climbing over the back fence to retrieve the footy and getting yelled at by the old lady that lives there. Splashing around in the kiddie pool that we'd wheel out every summer. Sitting out the back playing Pokemon with the kid across the road that I've hardly spoken to in years.

Local priest use to coach the football team.I lived about 20 k's out of town and on Tuesday nites after training he would drive me home. He was the biggest hoon this side of a Saturday night before the race at Bathurst. Guy still going, done 50 years priesting. 100 mph on the highway was cruising speed.

Whats scary is a few of his mates are up the s**t, a few others, including bishops, have left suddenly when it was found they were visiting a mate, living in a country with no extradition treaty.

Barbra_Streisand_Memories-1.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back