Society & Culture Memories Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Were any of you in the crowd at the Cricket and grab the ball when it was whacked for a 6?

I was front row behind the goals for a Crows game this year (not in the cheersquad, next bay around). I was directly behind a Tex Walker shot at goal. As it left his boot, it never deviated, that was coming straight to me. I stood up and leaned forward to take the mark, and was bustled aside and intercepted by the dumbass old campaigner next to me who, until now, had spend nearly all night holding up a 3 Blind Mice sign to abuse the umpires. His coordination was as good as his sign making, the ball went straight through his arms. But anyway, that's the time i almost marked a Tex Walker goal.

When they announced that goalies could only take 3 steps once he's picked up the ball. We were all mad about that rule, except the goalie, he was a good goalie.
Reminds me of a story a kid at school told me about when he was a goalie. He picked up the ball, and the ref pointed at him and held up three fingers to indicate he could take three steps. Misinterpreting this, he took three steps backwards... over the line into the goal.

He was not a good goalie.

Local priest use to coach the football team.I lived about 20 k's out of town and on Tuesday nites after training he would drive me home...
Story did not end as I was expecting at this point. Probably a good thing.

Continuing the sideshow ride spew theme.

The Gravitron at the Perth Royal Show when we were about 12 years old.

It was like a circular spaceship where you stood in front of these cushions on the wall and it would spin faster and faster until you got pinned to the wall by gravitational forces and couldn't move.

Perth Royal Show 1992 as 13yo I walked in the front gates and was greeted by the gravitron. I have never felt worse after getting off a ride, pretty much ruined the whole day especially as I went to the show with one of the hottest girls in my year.

When they announced that goalies could only take 3 steps once he's picked up the ball. We were all mad about that rule, except the goalie, he was a good goalie.

When I was a goalie in the Under 9's, the area we had (a D about the width of the reduced goal and not that long) meant that taking more than 3 steps before handling outside the area was almost impossible. At least in those days we still were able to utilise the backpass! Mind you I did get embarrassingly chipped once....

I also have a memory of when TV Stations actually closed down for the night. Not just SBS or ABC digital channels either. 24 hour TV didn't hit Rockhampton for example until aggregation came in late 1990/early 1991, so transmission for the day ended on RTQ/Star Television around midnight with the playing of the national anthem from a local brass band. Darwin's Channel 8 (now Channel 9) also closed down for the night in the mid 1990's, though I also remember them showing Star Trek at 8:30 on Friday Nights before an ARL (NRL) replay came on afterwards with no AFL coverage on the Friday (had to listen to the radio to get the calls). Transmission ended with what I recently discovered was a small component of the "Australia Live" program first shown on New Years Day 1988.

I remember when my trousers split open at a ball on uni campus when I was 18, and had to visit someones house down the road to get a new pair on.

This and the opening post in the topic reminded me of a time during a school sports day I showed up in full school uniform, but still mucked around and played football. I jumped up to take a ripper of a mark, all I did was rip my pants to the point where the only thing keeping them together was the zip at the front. I spent the next few hours holding them together.

I generally do have a good memory recall, I can remember things from when I was really little through to today. The sad thing is I can recall the bad or embarrassing things more than the good ones.

Remember faceplanting after jumping off the Glenelg Merry-go-round before it had stopped moving when I was 4.

And being in the family Datsun 200B in a booster seat when news come over the car radio that John Lennon had been shot. I remember Mum gasping.

And being in the family Datsun 200B in a booster seat when news come over the car radio that John Lennon had been shot. I remember Mum gasping.
I was 9 at the time, and can still remember seeing "Beatle Shot Dead" on one of those headline board things outside a newsagent. The newsagent is gone, but I still think of it whenever I drive past that spot.

Impressive. The worst alcohol has ever made me forget was how to tie shoelaces. I got up, a little tired but otherwise fine, showered, dressed, went to do up m shoes and was completely flummoxed. After half an hour fumbling about, I ended up with something that looked vaguely right. To this day, 20 years on, I can't tie them properly.

How about this for a memory or lack thereof.... got so polaxed last night I woke up and tried to take a piss in the bedroom next to my mrs head. She starts yelling at me and I stumble off and piss in the actual toilet.

Free cocktails are badddddddd

How did she know you were trying to take a piss and not attempting something else?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not overly edifying but, when I was in grade 1, on a day where it was grade 6 teaching day, I shat my dacks and had to choof off to the toilets afterwards.

On a Crown bus going to Croydon SDS, I sat on the front passenger seat and pissed my pants and, even worse, it leaked onto the bus seat (I think it was leather.)
Had to change jocks when it arrived at Croydon SDS.

For those who know outer eastern Melbourne, i spewed up at the Bayswater Hungry Jacks as a preppie.
It was at the edge of a table and left quite a mess.
We subsequently left ASAP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back