Michael Clarke retiring from ODI Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't he say that he wanted to go on to the next world cup in the hype of his return from injury ?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...186164543?nk=52448c769d8c7fc7f8a83a6691a4984a

Changes his mind more often than BT says Big Boy McEvoy.
Bloke changes his mind. What a campaigner.

He commented that before the WC. I think everyone can see his body is failing him and he's probably realised that he's not going to be suited for the short form of the game anymore.

So have you forgot the 2013 ashes series

I don't blame you for forgetting the 20/20
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...mpletes-ashes-humiliation-20110107-19i3n.html

Although I still think 20/20 will overtake the ODI's and become the favoured format for limited overs.
True, but we would've been in a much worse off position without him. He averaged 47 during that series, and I don't think we were expected to even fire a shot. The coach change a month before the Ashes didn't help either.

I don't really care much for 20/20 obviously ;) but do you think that t20's will overtake ODI's? I think this series has shown that 50 over games are still fantastic contests.

I think I couldn't find many innings that memorable as so man of his test hundreds

The only one day tons I've ever remembered well are Punter's in the World Cup final 2003, Gilly's in the World Cup final 2007, and Watson's in the ICC Champs 2009 semi and final. It's so hard to remember what players do in one dayers unless you go to them. There are just too many matches.

The only one day tons I've ever remembered well are Punter's in the World Cup final 2003, Gilly's in the World Cup final 2007, and Watson's in the ICC Champs 2009 semi and final. It's so hard to remember what players do in one dayers unless you go to them. There are just too many matches.
I rate Symonds 100 in the 2003 world cup better than punters 100 in the final. Haydos 100 against South africa was just brutal in the 07 World Cup

Last edited:
True, but we would've been in a much worse off position without him. He averaged 47 during that series, and I don't think we were expected to even fire a shot. The coach change a month before the Ashes didn't help either.

I don't really care much for 20/20 obviously ;) but do you think that t20's will overtake ODI's? I think this series has shown that 50 over games are still fantastic contests.

I do mate, apart from the WC the 50 over format has been exposed as a boring game to watch, isn't it a coincidence that scores over 300 are the norm these days, where 2 fiddy was a very good pass previously.

This is the influence 20/20 has.

To be brutally honest the 20/20 format will resurrect any waning interest in dormant cricket fans.

People in this day and age haven't got time for the ODI's, they have to take day a day off work, and unless you are a purist, have a boring flat spot in every innings. Unless Gayle or McCallum is smashing 200.

That is why they are pushing it, folks knock off work and pay the same money to see a result.

Believe me it will make the 50 over game redundant.

He announced it now because he had a shocker on Thursday. I doubt any one in New Zealand is making a fuss over the timing of Vettori's retirement ; or would have had Sri Lanka made it for Sangakarra.

As the first quality batsmen to debut I could remember (being too young for Ponting's beginnings) I've followed his career the whole way through. It's a shame his off field dickheadness can get in the way of people's opinion on the field where he's been a fantastic fielder, great batsmen and handy spinner for 10 years.

He was never the best boundary hitter, but I remember many occasions of him with Punter and Hussey still scoring 6 an over completely in singles. He scored 65 scores over 50, which is behind only Ponting, Gilchrist and M. Waugh for Australia. Sadly as the scores go up the game has gone past him so it's the right time to go.

Well done on an elite ODI career. One of the great batsmen of all time, and also an amazing fielder.

There were times we had Symonds, Ponting and Clarke patrolling the inner circle and they were as good a fielding trio as you'd see.

Excellent captain who was always ahead of the game.

Finish a great career with a WC, perfect.

To me, he has a great record, but he doesn't strike me as a great one day player - at least, in 10 years time, he's going to be one of the more easily forgotten players when discussing the best of all time for Australia.

His Test career is another matter entirely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me, he has a great record, but he doesn't strike me as a great one day player - at least, in 10 years time, he's going to be one of the more easily forgotten players when discussing the best of all time for Australia.

His Test career is another matter entirely.
I think that's largely due to his role of consolidating during the middle overs, but there was no one better than him at that role.

Yes, just a fitting swansong really. Ideally he would have torn his hamstring early in the tournament so George could finish what he started, but now Michael will be keen to see Australia through and join Border, Waugh and Ponting and be the first of those to win it on homesoil.

I've got a question for you: Do you think Clarke would get picked in our next ODI if he hadn't retired?
That's an interesting question.

I think that after a World Cup, the cycle resets and decisions should be made about the direction the team needs to head over the next four years. So in that context, I think it would be justified to move him on. Our next ODI match is in six months. For mine, that means it's time to bed to down a new side without Clarke. Smith's the new captain, we keep the three all-rounders in the middle (Marsh replaces Watson), pick a new keeper and back our young quicks (maybe keep Johnson around for a bit longer just in case). I think you have to be prepared to flick the switch when it comes to ODIs and ask: 'Who will be in the mix at the next World Cup?'

But, if we were just picking the best side with no concern about that kind of planning, I think you could still justify picking him based on his record.

The anointed one has one presser left, after the WC final.

Let us pray he doesn't

1) mention 63 not out
2) allude to 4:08
3) reminisce about Bingle*
4) mention how hard he worked to get back
5) show another tatt
6) pop another collar
7) say the word ' I ' more than 12 times

* please mention Bingle

Okay, we get the message. You don't like Clarke. Now give it a rest w***er.

That's an interesting question.

I think that after a World Cup, the cycle resets and decisions should be made about the direction the team needs to head over the next four years. So in that context, I think it would be justified to move him on. Our next ODI match is in six months. For mine, that means it's time to bed to down a new side without Clarke. Smith's the new captain, we keep the three all-rounders in the middle (Marsh replaces Watson), pick a new keeper and back our young quicks (maybe keep Johnson around for a bit longer just in case). I think you have to be prepared to flick the switch when it comes to ODIs and ask: 'Who will be in the mix at the next World Cup?'

But, if we were just picking the best side with no concern about that kind of planning, I think you could still justify picking him based on his record.

jesus 6 months? plenty of time to celebrate for the lads tonight then!

I've got a question for you: Do you think Clarke would get picked in our next ODI if he hadn't retired?
That is an interesting one. Ideally, gradually over the next three years a snumber of layers will be out so newer guys can be trialled for 2019. But you don't dump half the team at once.

If I was a selector, Clarke (even without retiring) and Haddin would be gone from the ODI side after the WC to prolong their Test lives. I'm not sure the selectors would have seen it that way. They may have liked Clarke to stay around so Smith can get more years and show consistency over the long haul before taking on the pressure of captaincy.

Johnson, Watson, Finch are all unlikely to be there in four years as well. But I would go on form more for them, at least for 12-18 months. Maybe the Champs Trophy would be the final series for Johnson and Watson if they are still around - I don't expect either will be. With Finch age isn't a concern, so it would be purely on form. I just expect there to be better options in the next few years.

That is an interesting one. Ideally, gradually over the next three years a snumber of layers will be out so newer guys can be trialled for 2019. But you don't dump half the team at once.
Why not?

Clarke, Watson, Haddin, Johnson. Everyone else is young enough to go around again, although there might be questions about performance. Replacements for Watson and Johnson are already in the frame, although I'd consider keeping Johnson as he remains truly world-class and the young quicks might still break down.

Pick a new side with Smith as captain. Even without those older guys, it would be a reasonably experienced side. You'd still have seven blokes who've just played the World Cup and reinforcements like Mitch Marsh and maybe Pat Cummins or Gurinder Sandhu. Just have to pick a new keeper and figure out which batsman replaces Clarke in the middle order.

Last edited:
Not sure why people see this as selfish? CA contracts are due after the world cup, and given he has retired from ODI he will be in for a massive pay cut.

The selfish thing to do would have been to not retire, be rewarded with a bigger contract and chill out for 6 months until the next ODI comes around

Remove this Banner Ad

Back