Mega Thread Minnesota Timberwolves Thread - The Finch Era begins

Remove this Banner Ad

Been looking at the contracts a bit closer, Lets say you can move Pekovic's contract ($38 million over 3 years) who would you target?

You have Rubio, Wiggins and Lavine to completely build around. What do you target over summer? Do you move K Mart and Pekovic?

Lets say the Big Footy Wolves have control of the franchise whats the thoughts going forward the next 3 years?
First and foremost I'd sign the high pick we'll be getting without going over the cap - something we'd struggle to do with Pek still there. Then I'd start looking for good quality youngish players that won't cost a huge pile of money, but have something to offer us. Khris Middleton would be right at the top of my list - versatility, great defense and good shooting ability. Start him at shooting guard with Martin and LaVine coming off the bench. If no luck, look at other guys - preferably bigs - like Thompson, for example. Just keep trying to add guys that could offer us something for the years to come. Elsewhere, we need to try to find some support at point guard. The organisation loves Martin; I doubt we'll move him.

I don't know basketball as well as many so some of this may not be realistic - but to me that $38M owed to a guy who won't offer us anything when we're contending, and isn't fit enough to offer much now, as a team that's already toeing the line of the cap could surely be better used if we can find somebody to take the contract on. All goes to plan we'd be looking at a roster with Wiggins, Towns, Middleton, LaVine, Rubio, Muhammad and Dieng - not looking bad at all.

We have the worst record in the NBA now fellas.
Guaranteed a Top 5 Pick
25% Chance to win the lottery - (it won't happen imo)

Guaranteed a Top 5 Pick

I reckon it will.

As a bit of a closet TWolves fan (Wiggins fanboy) i can't wait to see the Wolves with Towns, Wiggins, Rubio, Shabazz and LaVine.

Guaranteed a Top 5 Pick

Actually having the worst record in the NBA gives us at worst a top 4 pick, which is huge as there seems to be a drop off after the 4th pick, The top 4 being KAT, Okafor, Russell & Mudiay, although dropping out of the top two will be huge given our need for a big man.

Wolves #2 picking Okafor first time around
Out of curiosity, why the late slide on Okafor? Seemed to be the unanimous #1 early in the year but the mocks/profiles I've read lately seem to have cooled dramatically on him. I saw one yesterday that had him as low as #4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of curiosity, why the late slide on Okafor? Seemed to be the unanimous #1 early in the year but the mocks/profiles I've read lately seem to have cooled dramatically on him. I saw one yesterday that had him as low as #4.

Did a few more of the mock lotteries and even when we were picking at 4 they had us taking Okafor.

Although Okafors post offense is at another level to all others in the draft, he's defense is suspect which has led to comparisons with Big Al, KAT has shown the ability to be a force two ways, why he's probably jumped Okafor in most mocks.

Although Okafors post offense is at another level to all others in the draft, he's defense is suspect which has led to comparisons with Big Al, KAT has shown the ability to be a force two ways, why he's probably jumped Okafor in most mocks.
Thanks. Begs the question then - will Flip select a guy who's not overly athletic and doesn't defend well with a high pick? Has made it clear in recent years that the focus of this build is on athleticism and defensive scope. Just doesn't seem a Saunders pick to me.

Thats being nice i reckon.
His D is woeful, the way Kaminsy was driving past him in the championship game must be a huge concern. I can't see a team (outside of LA and NY) that would take him at 1. Those teams more likely due to profile etc.

Thanks. Begs the question then - will Flip select a guy who's not overly athletic and doesn't defend well with a high pick? Has made it clear in recent years that the focus of this build is on athleticism and defensive scope. Just doesn't seem a Saunders pick to me.

It all depends on where we land, if we get the 1 it's a no brainer, but if we have the 2 our need for a big might make flip overlook his shortcomings, ecspecially as with Mudiay and Russell we have young players in the same position.

It all depends on where we land, if we get the 1 it's a no brainer, but if we have the 2 our need for a big might make flip overlook his shortcomings, ecspecially as with Mudiay and Russell we have young players in the same position.
From what I've seen I quite like the fit of Russell to be honest. Always room for shooting class - especially for us.

Agree our need for a big man is much greater though. I can see Flip loving Cauley-Stein but I haven't seen a mock put him near the top four.

From what I've seen I quite like the fit of Russell to be honest. Always room for shooting class - especially for us.

Agree our need for a big man is much greater though. I can see Flip loving Cauley-Stein but I haven't seen a mock put him near the top four.

Russell reminds me of Brandon Roy really classy player, A trio of Russell, Lavine and Wiggins would be a great wing rotation.

Cauley-Stein is a one trick pony. He has no offensive game. Just can't see him going in the top 5.

Russell reminds me of Brandon Roy really classy player, A trio of Russell, Lavine and Wiggins would be a great wing rotation.

Cauley-Stein is a one trick pony. He has no offensive game. Just can't see him going in the top 5.
What would be your top four preferences? Towns the clear number one, then?

What would be your top four preferences? Towns the clear number one, then?

I'd go 1: Towns 2: Okafor just on pure need 3: Mudiay 4: Russell

Mudiay can be a real star, but with Ricky's contract I don't think Flip will take him, saying that tho Flip did desperately want Oladipo 2 years ago, Mudiay is slightly taller so maybe he can play with Ricky.

I'd go 1: Towns 2: Okafor just on pure need 3: Mudiay 4: Russell

Mudiay can be a real star, but with Ricky's contract I don't think Flip will take him, saying that tho Flip did desperately want Oladipo 2 years ago, Mudiay is slightly taller so maybe he can play with Ricky.
Let's just hope for pick 1 so we don't have to deal with the alternatives haha.

Bjelica had a good season in Europe and is likely to join the Wolves at PF (yay)
Also, the word on the street is that Flip is keen on Porzingis.
I reckon if we dropped to 4th pick and the two Centers are gone, Flip might take him.

Bjelica had a good season in Europe and is likely to join the Wolves at PF (yay)
Also, the word on the street is that Flip is keen on Porzingis.
I reckon if we dropped to 4th pick and the two Centers are gone, Flip might take him.
Do you know what kind of player Bjelica is? Would he start for us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back