Mitch Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

When you say down back, does it mean he could have a crack in a game at CHB?

Thus sending Taylor forward?

He is playing key defence now and starring by the sounds of it. They were about 12 months late with this move but better late than never.

It was always obvious that at least in the short term that because of the shoulder injuries he was not going to be able to develop the strength for KPF, and his excellent ability to read the play would make him suitable down back, so I am glad they have made the move even though I agree with you that it should have been done earlier. Given the profile of our list (lots of young KPF's but not young KPD's) it's also the most likely open door for Brown to get in the seniors in the near future.

It was always obvious that at least in the short term that because of the shoulder injuries he was not going to be able to develop the strength for KPF, and his excellent ability to read the play would make him suitable down back, so I am glad they have made the move even though I agree with you that it should have been done earlier. Given the profile of our list (lots of young KPF's but not young KPD's) it's also the most likely open door for Brown to get in the seniors in the near future.

Yeah he is never going to be the "gorilla defender" to take the big forwards, but i can see him playing the Mackie role quite successfully.

I see Walker as more likely CHB or on the third opposition tall forward and Brown more HFF or FP. If he got the third best tall backman - I think he could do quite well. Just needs some time and occasional space.

He is a really nice kick for goal and we need that desperately at present.

Not sure we could play Hawkins (a must), Pods and Brown all in the same side. Where I can see Walker in the same side as a backman and perhaps a switch player.

Hard to work out what the forward line would look if we had Brown in it. He should not be a sub player.

Maybe -

Chapman Hawk Brown

Motlop Pods SJ

It looks a little tall to me and so - slow.

If Smedts was playing better he would make a good HFF - as he adds some pace. Geelong need a bit more forward pressure - so 2 quick players really required on the forward line.

Yeah it seems like they're doing with Brown what Melbourne have been trying out with Watts. And if you go back a bit further, Pavlich spent his first few seasons doing exactly that role. As much as I hate the seagull position I can see why they do it.

Yeah he is never going to be the "gorilla defender" to take the big forwards, but i can see him playing the Mackie role quite successfully.

I disagree with this. You don't need to be a gorilla to out-position big forwards.

He's 1cm shorter than Lonergan and he's taller than Scarlett. There's no reason he couldn't play the Lonergan role in the future. I would've thought he'd be a bit tall to play Mackie's position.

I'd like to see him tried seriously as a key defender. Move him in front of Gillies as our most promising back-up defender and see if we can't get anything for Gillies at the trade table. He looks like he's got the brains and skills to be a dangerous player coming out of the back half too.

I disagree with this. You don't need to be a gorilla to out-position big forwards.

He's 1cm shorter than Lonergan and he's taller than Scarlett. There's no reason he couldn't play the Lonergan role in the future. I would've thought he'd be a bit tall to play Mackie's position.

I'd like to see him tried seriously as a key defender. Move him in front of Gillies as our most promising back-up defender and see if we can't get anything for Gillies at the trade table. He looks like he's got the brains and skills to be a dangerous player coming out of the back half too.

Fair enough - i just cant see him ever having the build or strength for it. Mackie would get monstered by the likes of Cloke, J.Brown, etc and i just think Mitch is of similar body type but i hope i am wrong.

Fair enough - i just cant see him ever having the build or strength for it. Mackie would get monstered by the likes of Cloke, J.Brown, etc and i just think Mitch is of similar body type but i hope i am wrong.

I'm hoping that Mackie will remain the only footballer not to gain a shred of muscle in nearly 10 years. Brown already looks bigger than last year.

Would he be any smaller than Lonergan at a similar age? Loners isn't exactly a hulking brute. Key position players are pretty important and I certainly wouldn't be giving up on him playing that role eventually.

Would he be any smaller than Lonergan at a similar age? Loners isn't exactly a hulking brute. Key position players are pretty important and I certainly wouldn't be giving up on him playing that role eventually.

In my household, Lonergan's nickname is Sticks which came about due to his body shape when younger. He has been able to fill out pretty well over time though and is rarely outmuscled by the gorilla forwards. Still hope for Brown in this respect I reckon.

Yeah it seems like they're doing with Brown what Melbourne have been trying out with Watts. And if you go back a bit further, Pavlich spent his first few seasons doing exactly that role. As much as I hate the seagull position I can see why they do it.

Browny hasn't been wandering around in the VFL picking up cheapies I can promise you that.

I think it depends on the forward. No way someone Browns weight could hold off Hawkins, Cloke, Petrie or Tippett but could do a Dustin Fletcher type KP role. He'll be a lot better player if he can gain 5 kgs though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play him on the wing and halfback, and that's about it for now, juding on last nights game he won't replace Mackie right now.
Are we that committed to finding a spot for this guy come what may?
Personally I'm over him, and I'd rather Scofield or Mitch Brown from the Eagles, or just somebody else!

Mitch Brown is one of the best kicks at the club, but needs a full preseason to have the body to hold down a key position. The game down back is working for him, but Walker is the future up forward. Crashes the packs beautifully and flies too well to be down back. I think he's freed up Hawkins beautifully too due to his body and game requiring a good opponent

Yep, Walker has stepped in front of Brown you'd think on the standard of his play thus far. Although he is young, his body seems to be really ready for AFL and can stand up to the rigors of the crash and bash of the packs. I like the idea of Brown in defence, he has long arms and seems to have a good engine. As most have stated, just needs to put on another 5kg or so, and get through a pre-season.

We just need to find a way to get games into him. Few players come in and show their best. Take Walker for instance , keep him in he will slowly show more in the ruck , his kicking will improve with confidence , and he will start taking some strong grabs. Already he has shown a good ability to read play and to add defence pressure.
When Brown comes in ad actually plays multiple weeks we will start to see he can play as a third tall roll (like SJ but not the way he does it) and could give us the obvious switch hit to allow Taylor to play forward.
I do agree with others that he needs more time in the gym , preseasons etc but I don't see him being a Hawkins ever , he is more a Mackie shape. But give him the roll of putting on more strength and it will happen in time.
Perhaps we wont see him really being a strong influence in our side till Pods is gone , a bit like it took Mooney to go before Hawkins became the "man"

Turbo, Hawkins always had the body for the job, his issues weren't the same, t'was just a confidence thing!

But Brown needs a body if he's ever going to man-up a key post. Sorry to say mind you.

Turbo, Hawkins always had the body for the job, his issues weren't the same, t'was just a confidence thing!

But Brown needs a body if he's ever going to man-up a key post. Sorry to say mind you.

meto , I don't see him ever being a true Key. He will never be able to bulk up to be a shape at his height. Whether the game changes again it suits him to play as a leading lightweight tall who knows , but as the game is played atm he really struggles with being anything other than a tallish flanker

Looking at what we have, and what we have waiting in the wings, it seems crowded. Except when you look at the high injury/attrition rate that goes on in the AFL today. Last August/Sep we were stuffed full of ruckmen, and now we have just West carrying the load.

Walker has got awesome hands, just a little worried about his kicking. Hawkins MK II?

Does he remind anyone - other than me - of Bazza Stoneham? Great read of the play, slight frame for size, beautiful kick and great mark - just best by untimely injuries?

On another point - Bluey McGrath on KROCK a few months ago took a pretty broad swipe at Mitch for not putting in the hard yards in the gym when he got hurt - kinda got into him a bit for being a list filler - in that he has all the talent in the world to make it but wasn't putting the work to get fitter and stronger - which his slighter type body frame would benefit from in his KPP role.

Its the media's job to make opinions etc and maybe someone pissed in Bluey's Corn flakes that morning but I hope he was wrong. Mitch can make it and just needs the time and chance - but one of the things I would certainly like to see is him getting stronger if not bigger. (I'm sure the fitness staff are all over it)

Go Catters

You know... KRock is usually pretty hard pressed to criticize anything happening at KP. If they're taking a swipe at an active player - well lets just say Mitch shouldn't be making long term plans in the city of Geelong

That's poor form by Bluey.. Mitch's body is the way it is because he can't do upper body strength.. he couldn't do that last year given he dislocated his shoulder. If you break your leg, you don't spend the next 6 months on a bike :/

meto , I don't see him ever being a true Key. He will never be able to bulk up to be a shape at his height. Whether the game changes again it suits him to play as a leading lightweight tall who knows , but as the game is played atm he really struggles with being anything other than a tallish flanker

But Turbo, the hard question is, and we shouldn't try to avoid it is, is there a role for him at 196cm and a lightweight at the AFL level???
That's the hard ask as far as our persevering with Mitch Brown, or do we keep paying and using a placement for a guy who's a permanent VFL player because he carn't fill out?

We carn't wait till he's a thirty year old. If he played back flank do you think he'd be as fast as say Mackie?
and that's fast with hands as well as feet and keep up with a modern day half forward?
Dunno! Suppose one way to find out, just throw him in the deepend, but at the moment we're fighting for a finals spot, how many years do we end up giving this guy?

Well if that's the case, he should be training with the defensive group and learning from Mackie and Enwright, but is he fast enough with both hands and feet to be a genuine AFL HBF'er, I think he's played the key role to long, just lead, mark and kick.
Is he just a VFL player taking up a spot on our list with nothing to offer at AFL level, how long do we give this guy? To me he's like a Gillies but with more talent, just taking up a spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back