Mitch Robinson anyone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy smart is important though. swan has footy smarts. Robinson doesn't.

No but he has that kamikaze, reckless i don't care about my body i just want to get the ball. Maybe he could teach it to a few of our players.

His best footy he could be an asset. I would be open to him coming across with strict behavior clauses.

No but he has that kamikaze, reckless i don't care about my body i just want to get the ball. Maybe he could teach it to a few of our players.

His best footy he could be an asset. I would be open to him coming across with strict behavior clauses.
How can you undertake culural change and recruit someone who needs behavioral clauses? How can you exit Shaw and recruit Robinson? I don't agree with the cultural path we went down but that's beside the point becasue we did it. Apart from that he just not good enough.

How do you mean?
We took Thomas...........You took Russell.

You effectively let Eddie Betts go but added Thomas for $700k per year. Given his output in year 1, you'd want to hope he has 3 stellar years especially what you lost with Betts output.

Russell was a speculative pick, so in terms of value for money and what was given up, your mob is significantly behind when comparing those 2.

In terms of Robbo, he's 3rd or 4th rounder at best for those who want him at their club. I pray he doesn't come to us.

How can you undertake culural change and recruit someone who needs behavioral clauses? How can you exit Shaw and recruit Robinson? I don't agree with the cultural path we went down but that's beside the point becasue we did it. Apart from that he just not good enough.

Shaw was disruptive and carried on like an imbecile arguing with Buckley on the boundary line. You just don't do that to the coach. Now even though Shaw is a better bloke than Robbo off the field but at least around the club he seems calm and measured and has respect for his coaches and players. I think Buckley should have worked on that more, getting rid of Shaw was just dumb.

Culture can be defined in many different ways, but I think I said it in another thread, the culture problem I think Buckley was referring to was the lack of respect by the players. For example during meetings Jolly would say let's just do what Mick did and Shaw arguing with Bucks all the time. The players were not buying in to the coaches plans and that's why Swan is the one left from that group. If it was the culture that people often think of, Swan would have been the first to go.

I met Robbo's cousin at a bar on Brunswick St once while watching a game there with a few mates and I must say I did hear interesting stories about the lad when he was young in Tassie but I don't think he is anywhere near as bad enough as he looks and people think. I think a bigger con for getting him would be his skills rather than his off field troubles and plus a clause can always be added if the club is worried.

You effectively let Eddie Betts go but added Thomas for $700k per year. Given his output in year 1, you'd want to hope he has 3 stellar years especially what you lost with Betts output.

Russell was a speculative pick, so in terms of value for money and what was given up, your mob is significantly behind when comparing those 2.

In terms of Robbo, he's 3rd or 4th rounder at best for those who want him at their club. I pray he doesn't come to us.

Response was to someone saying that Carlton picks up Collingwoods leftovers and not the other way around.
I think my response was fair in relation to the comment. There was no discussion of the value of the trades etc. That makes for another story.

Anyway, I'm sure your board has better things to do than to be covering this old ground again.

A hard nut player who puts his body on the line. Maybe not always best 22 in 2015 but a great onfield example of body on the line. If you could combine that with a fantastically professional off field presence and being a club icon maybe. If you added that to Robbo he could be worth the punt

Still that overall description does ring a bell to me. Wouldn't mind a player like that on our list. If we just pushed one like that aside don't you reckon he would be rightly pissed if we picked up Robbo

Response was to someone saying that Carlton picks up Collingwoods leftovers and not the other way around.
I think my response was fair in relation to the comment. There was no discussion of the value of the trades etc. That makes for another story.

Anyway, I'm sure your board has better things to do than to be covering this old ground again.
I know what you were responding to. We're happy to discuss and raise Thomas on our threads as often as we choose, notably as often as he has poor seasons at Carlton when he's on $700k. But he does look better in navy blue :D

If we get robinson, it will go against everything the club, especially buckley, has tried to eradicate from the club in recent years.

Be very interesting to see what happens from here
If we get Mitch Robinson, I will become transgender for the rest of my life. There is no way in the world I would want Mitch on the Collingwood Playing list.

What value does he bring to our team? Leadership? Foot Skills? Can he kick an important goal when the game is in the balance?
Thought so!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know what you were responding to. We're happy to discuss and raise Thomas on our threads as often as we choose, notably as often as he has poor seasons at Carlton when he's on $700k. But he does look better in navy blue :D

Was always going to start slow but to be fair I did expect to see a steeper curve in performances in the second half of the year.
Next year will be telling..........................and you're right of course..............he does look better in Navy Blue :)

That's my last response on Thomas................and good luck if you do take Robinson although there are other suitors.:thumbsu:

i'll give him credit for his attack on the ball. but that's about it. he goes missing to much in matches, can't kick and has off field issues. and Wing / Halfback type players we don't need.

If this guy comes in to our club, It's going to take all summer for my brain to process. I hate this guy with everything I have, and to see him running around in black and white will make me power vomit.
If he is the best we can do, then we are in strife.

Great use of language. Portrays Robinson perfectly!

Was always going to start slow but to be fair I did expect to see a steeper curve in performances in the second half of the year.
Next year will be telling..........................and you're right of course..............he does look better in Navy Blue :)

That's my last response on Thomas................and good luck if you do take Robinson although there are other suitors.:thumbsu:
You paid a 2014 salary for 2010-11 form. Still Malthouse has put himself on the line so you'd want to see significant improvement next year though he'll be 28 so time is running out if he has another poor season.

The 2014 version does look good running around in navy blue :)

What has hurt you is that not only did you lose Betts, but gaining Thomas offset the first round compo pick you would have got.

May the others acquire Robinson. You may yet lose him for nothing if others get him through the PSD.

Didn't we just have a culture clean out. If we really wanted to have a hot tempered undisciplined player on the field, we would have kept Heater.
At least he had talent.
Thats a no from me!

Didn't we just have a culture clean out. If we really wanted to have a hot tempered undisciplined player on the field, we would have kept Heater.
At least he had talent.
Thats a no from me!

Well said. Robinson is a poor man's Heater. I would be really disappointed if we recruited him.

This mentality:
art-353-robinson-mitch_BDO-300x0.jpg

+

No discernable skills other than aggression.

=

No bloody thank you.

I'd be open to it in all honesty. Reckon he can play a bit.

Max Rooke, Campbell Brown etc were never the most skilled footballers around but added the physicality to their respective premiership teams. There is still a role for that in the modern game.

I'd want a behavior based contract though....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back