Most impressive list rejuvenation in one off-season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn in 2009

IN
Shaun Burgoyne (Port Adelaide)
Josh Gibson (North Melbourne)
Ben Stratton (National draft, pick 46) (WAFL)
Taylor Duryea (National draft, pick 69)
Luke Breust (2009 rookie draft, pick 47)

OUT:

Josh Kennedy (Sydney)
Ben McGlynn (Sydney)
Stewart Dew (retired)
Trent Croad (retired)
Mark Williams (Essendon)
To be fair that top name in the outs would add extra ridiculousness to their current squad

Do you think the likes of Scott Selwood, Zach Smith and Henderson buy Geelong a top 4 spot again?

I'm biased of course but yes I think they will help for sure. We had a bad year with injuries this year to key players and combine that with a tough draw from overachieving in 2014 and making the top 4 means that next year with a healthy list and an easier draw we should be making the 8, that's without even factoring in the new recruits including Dangerfield so I don't think top 4 is out of the question. Now on the flip side it could be argued that with S.J, Rivers, Kelly and Stokes leaving that we may decline further but Stokes and rivers only played half the season anyway. Time will tell I guess.

You didn't draft him under father/son?
Im not to sure, he was definitely selected in the rookie draft. So if im remembering correctly that means no one bid on him in the ND do they do father son bidding again before the rookies?

With his brother Lachlan currently on our Rookies we didn't father son and just rookie selected straight up.

The thing with the Langford boys is that they didnt play to much footy in there last few years a school focus manly on studies so must have fallen under the rader.

The youngest Langford definitely wont though, he has had the biggest wraps on him by a long way. He wont be slipping to our last pick in the rookies im sure of that.

EDIT: There you go NSW Scholarship. VVVVVVVV

Selwood a very hyped acquisition considering he lost his spot in the Eagles team. And they're not all coming for free

If Selwood was hyped we'd have got something meaningful for him.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Wow, salty response to a level headed comment about drafting or topping up. Loved the little 1954 jibe, yeah we started the long game back in 55, packaging Schultz to land Bont in 2013. Worth it though for a crack at a flag over the next decade.

Do you think the likes of Scott Selwood, Zach Smith and Henderson buy Geelong a top 4 spot again?

Apologies for making light of the Dogs premiership drought.

Did you think David Hale and Josh Gibson would help the Hawks win flags? I think we are getting 4 guys, all 25 years old, who have shown they can be good contributors at AFL level. I'm not sure what more we can do than that, every team in the comp would have done that deal for Dangerfield. Selwood I'm not sold on, but hopefully he gets his body right again to get back to being a solid defensive inside mid. Smith had a good year once, we don't have a genuine number 1 ruck, so it makes sense. Even if we drafted a ruck kid, he's minimum 2 or 3 years, and more likely 5 or 6 away from being a consistent player.

To be honest I was stunned the Dogs haven't/didn't try to get Henderson. Has shown he can be a good CHB in this league, where you guys have very little depth. You started Talia there last year, and Austin the year before that, and there are no questions he is a comfortably better player than the pair of them. Have seen figures of $450-500k floating around for him too, mad not to have a look...

At the end of the day, we now have a core of a top 5 key forward in Hawkins, a top 5 key back in Taylor, and arguably two top 5 (or 10) mids with Selwood and Dangerfield. Add this to the likes of Motlop, Duncan, Guthrie, Caddy, Blicavs etc going through the middle, we're going to be a difficult task for most sides.

Wow, salty response to a level headed comment about drafting or topping up. Loved the little 1954 jibe, yeah we started the long game back in 55, packaging Schultz to land Bont in 2013. Worth it though for a crack at a flag over the next decade.

The hawks have traded for several players who were 26 or older when they were recruited since 2010 namely Burgoyne, Gibson, Lake, Hale, McEvoy. And I'd say that without the majority of those players (particularly Gibson, Lake and Burgoyne) their chances of winning 1 flag, let alone 3, would've been significantly curtailed.

Geelong right now has a void in the 25 to 28 age group so bringing players in that age range make sense whether we're in contention for a flag or not. Just being part of a winning culture can help instill good habits and self belief among our young up and coming players (18 to 24) so even if Geelong doesn't win a flag in the next 4 or 5 years the next generation should at least benefit from playing along side quality players assuming they stay fit and healthy (Danger, S. Selwood, Henderson, etc..) that is.

Apologies for making light of the Dogs premiership drought.

Did you think David Hale and Josh Gibson would help the Hawks win flags? I think we are getting 4 guys, all 25 years old, who have shown they can be good contributors at AFL level. I'm not sure what more we can do than that, every team in the comp would have done that deal for Dangerfield. Selwood I'm not sold on, but hopefully he gets his body right again to get back to being a solid defensive inside mid. Smith had a good year once, we don't have a genuine number 1 ruck, so it makes sense. Even if we drafted a ruck kid, he's minimum 2 or 3 years, and more likely 5 or 6 away from being a consistent player.

To be honest I was stunned the Dogs haven't/didn't try to get Henderson. Has shown he can be a good CHB in this league, where you guys have very little depth. You started Talia there last year, and Austin the year before that, and there are no questions he is a comfortably better player than the pair of them. Have seen figures of $450-500k floating around for him too, mad not to have a look...

At the end of the day, we now have a core of a top 5 key forward in Hawkins, a top 5 key back in Taylor, and arguably two top 5 (or 10) mids with Selwood and Dangerfield. Add this to the likes of Motlop, Duncan, Guthrie, Caddy, Blicavs etc going through the middle, we're going to be a difficult task for most sides.

We threw big money at Henderson last year and he flat rejected us, probably compounds why we didn't go for him again this year. I agree though he'd look like a good fit on paper, but so does Carlisle, I've never seen a more perfect available player for our needs..... but apparently we weren't that into him either. Who knows ultimately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North Melbourne 1973.

Ron Barrassi - Coach
John Rantall
Barry Davis
Doug Wade
John Burns
Wayne Schimmelbusch

Went from Wooden Spooners in 1972 to Grand Finalists in 1974 to Premiers in 1975.

We threw big money at Henderson last year and he flat rejected us, probably compounds why we didn't go for him again this year. I agree though he'd look like a good fit on paper, but so does Carlisle, I've never seen a more perfect available player for our needs..... but apparently we weren't that into him either. Who knows ultimately.

I think Beveridge thinks Carlisle is a knob, and he is probably right. Seems to be a pretty good culture at the Dogs at the moment, probably didn't want to add a toxic bloke to the mix, no matter how well he may fit.

We are just copying what the hawks have done other the last 5-6 years. You never know, if we do the same next year cats are suddenly back in flag contention.

Hawthorn in 2009

IN
Shaun Burgoyne (Port Adelaide)
Josh Gibson (North Melbourne)
Ben Stratton (National draft, pick 46) (WAFL)
Taylor Duryea (National draft, pick 69)
Luke Breust (2009 rookie draft, pick 47)

OUT:

Josh Kennedy (Sydney)
Ben McGlynn (Sydney)
Stewart Dew (retired)
Trent Croad (retired)
Mark Williams (Essendon)
Given this was done with ordinary picks at a time when franchise teams were grabbing the best it gets my vote. All five have at least 2 flags with us.:thumbsu:

Steven Kernahan, Craig Bradley, Peter Motley, Mil Hanna, Jon Dorotich, Adrian Glesson. That group rejuvenated the Blues alright

Not sure Mil Hanna same year. I remember him getting a serious injury in pre-season or his first game and was out for a year.
I do remember being at Waverley Park round one when Kernahan, Bradley and Platten all played their first game in the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back