List Mgmt. Motlop: signed, sealed and delivered

Remove this Banner Ad

motlop will get a massive overs offer from richmons as they were offering great coin to treloar
On Gameday this morning, they put up a list of the most high profile 14 players that are out of contract, the usual suspects. They asked the Richmond player who was on, which ones he would like at the Tigers. I thought he'd laugh and say the old "We'd love all of them" but quick as a flash he said: "Motlop, on the half forward flank with Edwards would be an elite combination and Treloar going through the midfield with Cotchy and Dusty would be unstoppable."

I think he stays. The market for him isn't exactly huge. As stated above Collingwood will have a hard time fitting him, Aish and Treloar in. Motlop will be the last of their worries.

I still believe Adelaide are a big danger as they will have the cap room. I can't see the Kangaroos or Richmond legitimately offering Motlop $750k despite reports of this. It would be crazy especially considering the profile of their lists. I think it is just games by his manager.

I think Motlop will stay and wants to stay. I thought he was gone but I don't think so now.
I actually can see North making a run at him. There must be some doubt over Daniel Wells these days so North would most likely view Motlop as a like-for-like replacement.

Grima and Adams have already retired, patience must be wearing thin with Daw while Currie doesn't look like getting a gig while Goldstein is fit.

Finding a spot on their list is easy, cap space would be the main issue but I reckon they'd be fine.

dangerfield, selwood, henderson will all fit within our structure (pay)
motlop will get a massive overs offer from richmons as they were offering great coin to treloar

the group of 3 are looking to come to geelong on fair money and other reasons

leuenberger will simply use our medical facilities - waste of time,

600k reportedly for Henderson? Pass. 500kish for Selwood (how many of our mids would be on that much)? Hmmm. Selwood's played a whole two more games than Leuenberger over the past three years, incidentally. Just too bad for Leuenberger that he doesn't have a brother at Geelong and/or didn't play for the Falcons, otherwise we could gloss over his injury history, I suppose.

I'd rather sacrifice S. Selwood or Henderson, so we have the money to match any offer for Motlop, personally. I'm not exactly sure what 'overs' is for Motlop. Right now, he's playing like a superstar, an All-Australian. And it's not a flash in the pan: he's brought the goods whenever he's been healthy, for three years now.

Both actually. If the Pies feel they need to up their offer that's also a good sign to me.

Must say I've never taken much that's positive from opposition teams raiding our better players.

Nakia and I are on different pages on the matter. Don't think the Maggies have changed what they are prepared to offer believing that if he opts for them it will be the dosh and other factors that will get him over the line. My belief is the team that is offering the $3.5m over 5 years is GWS who are becoming less confident of holding Treloar as each day passes.

Nothing like a bit of conjecture to keep forums humming.:)

Must say I've never taken much that's positive from opposition teams raiding our better players.
There's no better sign than having your players coveted by other teams. You need to worry when it's not happening. :)

We're probably going to have to. I generally give weight to what Whateley says when it comes to the Cats as he is well connected. In a brief exchange with McClure after the game McClure -deservedly - pumped-up Mots tyres and finished with something like 'and you're going to let this bloke go are you'? Whateley said we don't want to but the 5 year deal at $3.5m that's on the table from elsewhere - didn't nominate a club - could be the decider.

We've put a lot of development years into Mots and I'd hate to see another club benefit from it. Along with Blitz, it's the most pressing player contract matter before us. Including those speculated on from outside the club.

I do to... generally... although when he said Smedts was a good kick in that call yesterday...it did make me wonder how well he REALLY knows Geelong.

Hawk made if perfectly clear to his manager and any other likely suitors he intended to be a one club player. Instructing his manager to get it done.
Yep, got to love when a player does that at your club. I'm sure Hawk had plenty of offers though, probably on every day of the week there fore a while. :)

That's the key point there. It was pretty clear when we were feeling the salary cap squeeze of keeping so many champions together that feeling was they would be leaving money on the table for the opportunity to play in grand finals and premierships. Can we offer that to Motlop, more than his other potential destinations? That's questionable, to say the least.

And it's funny how when your average Joe leaves their existing job for a new one that pays better, no-one suggests that they're leaving for 'greed'. I'm glad that I've never been accused of that. If Motlop can earn more elsewhere than we want to pay him, that's his right. Wouldn't it be 'greedy' of the club, by the same token, to chase the likes of Dangerfield, Selwood, Henderson and Leuenberger (with all probably on very good money) when it could be focusing on signing up Motlop?
I guess I differ to you in that I think that being an AFL footballer is a very unique job and nothing like a job that your average joe would be working on a 9-5 basis. Perhaps I'm naive or old fashioned but that's just the way that I see it. You're right in that if Mots wants to chase the money then he is well within his rights in doing so but personally it's just not a quality that I admire in an AFL footballer, whether he happens to play for the Cats or any other team for that matter.

And no, I don't believe that the club is being greedy by chasing quality players from other clubs because
I'm confident and have faith that the GFC will be offering Mots what they believe he is worth, just like they will be with any other potential recruit that they decide to try and entice to cross over to join the Cats. It doesn't have to be one or the other. If Mots is truly driven by success and not money then he would be happy to sign for a little bit less knowing that it is only going to enhance his chances of playing in a premiership. If it is money that he is primarily after then he will get it, just not at Geelong.

FWIW I still think that he will end up staying but I'm not going to lie and say that I'm supremely confident of it, because I'm not. I really hope that he does stay though.

I guess I differ to you in that I think that being an AFL footballer is a very unique job and nothing like a job that your average joe would be working on a 9-5 basis. Perhaps I'm naive or old fashioned but that's just the way that I see it. You're right in that if Mots wants to chase the money then he is well within his rights in doing so but personally it's just not a quality that I admire in an AFL footballer, whether he happens to play for the Cats or any other team for that matter.

And no, I don't believe that the club is being greedy by chasing quality players from other clubs because
I'm confident and have faith that the GFC will be offering Mots what they believe he is worth, just like they will be with any other potential recruit that they decide to try and entice to cross over to join the Cats. It doesn't have to be one or the other. If Mots is truly driven by success and not money then he would be happy to sign for a little bit less knowing that it is only going to enhance his chances of playing in a premiership. If it is money that he is primarily after then he will get it, just not at Geelong.

FWIW I still think that he will end up staying but I'm not going to lie and say that I'm supremely confident of it, because I'm not. I really hope that he does stay though.

Thought provoking post@Stan The Caddy
I liken it to a workplace situation where you love your colleagues and environment but you get a kickass offer from a Competitor
Sometimes you move for the coin but the chemistry is different and you don't perform as well and your colleagues don't bring out the best in you - invariably ends in tears
However kids like Mots have no reference point for such situations and may just take things at face value and be tootempted and move on - that's where good advice from family or a mentor is valuable.
I really hope he stays because when he is on he's absolutely part of where we need to be to be a threat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can relate to this Nakia, my son looks at me with pity whenever I talk about footy, and I'm not gonna force him to take an interest when he has none (I did try at one point when he was younger, but even back then he was more interested computers and music).

I reckon I nearly had him back in 2005, was sitting on my lap seemingly half-interested for once as we led the Swans coming into the last quarter of the Semi. We all remember how that turned out.

The daughter is looking a bit more promising, but then again she's quite happy to rub it in and 'jump ship' when the Cats lose.
She nearly got her first smacked bum after gleefully yelling 'go Dees' for about an hour after we lost to Melbourne a few weeks back. :mad:

As for Motlop, has had a great month and a solid year, would be a shame to lose him but then again I wouldn't lose a heap of sleep over it; Williams/Toohey/Bolton, Colbert, O'Reilly, Ablett; we've seen some great players up and leave over the years, but the club still keeps rolling out a team year after year and I don't reckon the loss of Steve Motlop would change that.
hahaha, CC. Let her follow the Dees and see where that takes her, the little minx! ;) Pretty soon she'll come crawling back to the Cats!

as has Blitz, from what he and his Dad have said to the press.
Yes, it was a great interview with both of them. Blitz just said straight out that loyalty is a massive issue for him and he intended to be a one club player.

I always thought that one day Caddy would take over from Selwood as Captain, now I'm wondering ...

600k reportedly for Henderson? Pass. 500kish for Selwood (how many of our mids would be on that much)? Hmmm. Selwood's played a whole two more games than Leuenberger over the past three years, incidentally. Just too bad for Leuenberger that he doesn't have a brother at Geelong and/or didn't play for the Falcons, otherwise we could gloss over his injury history, I suppose.

I'd rather sacrifice S. Selwood or Henderson, so we have the money to match any offer for Motlop, personally. I'm not exactly sure what 'overs' is for Motlop. Right now, he's playing like a superstar, an All-Australian. And it's not a flash in the pan: he's brought the goods whenever he's been healthy, for three years now.

Completely agree mate.
Dangerfield is a priority obviously, but second to that has to be motlop.
As handy as selwood would be as a tagger we would lose out massively if getting him cost us motlop.
If the touted figure of cats offered 500 and he wants 600 then pay the man. The way he is going that will be unders by this time
Next year.

Yes, it was a great interview with both of them. Blitz just said straight out that loyalty is a massive issue for him and he intended to be a one club player.

I always thought that one day Caddy would take over from Selwood as Captain, now I'm wondering ...
Hmmm. Had not thought of that but you're right. He'd be great- and what a Cinderella story!
Don't know why so many think Caddy will be "it". Or GHS.

Completely agree mate.
Dangerfield is a priority obviously, but second to that has to be motlop.
As handy as selwood would be as a tagger we would lose out massively if getting him cost us motlop.
If the touted figure of cats offered 500 and he wants 600 then pay the man. The way he is going that will be unders by this time
Next year.
He has offers of 750 so the gap is 250k plus

Doing my job probably seems like a dream for someone that cleans toilets for minimum wage, too. It's all relative.

I just think we need to consider the fact that we're in no better position to be guaranteeing top four finishes over the next five years than a dozen other clubs. So what can we use to entice players to take a reduced salary to stay? Loyalty? Maybe...but I'd point to some of the players that we're talking about cutting loose and suggest that maybe the club won't show Motlop the same loyalty when it's time for the next contract and he's only got 2-3 years left. A better culture/working environment? How do we know if our club is a better place to be from Monday-Friday than Adelaide, Richmond, North Melbourne, or any other club? How do we know Christensen isn't happier in Brisbane than he was down here?

Motlop's got all the leverage as it stands and more power to him. As we're seeing with Johnson, Kelly and Stokes, many times, a player doesn't have that luxury. Make hay while the sun shines.

I began questioning Caddy in my head about rounds 5-7. Always rated him highly and felt he was going to be our next best midfielder.

Fast forward a couple of months and he's had a breakout year averaging 21.5 disposals, 11 contested, 5.5 clearances, 5.5 tackles and 0.9 goals per game.
Even more exciting is he's now starting to put four quarters of consistent footy together. It's used a lot in here but it really does ring true . . . blokes usually begin turning it on once they hit that 70-100 games mark and Caddy at 74 games, appears to be emerging into that top 10 draft pick he was pumped up to be a few years ago.

And presumably our offer is 500+ already. So we take that money, plus the money that we were setting aside for one of Henderson/Selwood/Leuenberger and have enough to match the highest bidder for him, with money to spare.

But but but what about the magic rubber bands?!?!?:eek:

I understand that supporters are anxious and want the club to give hime what he wants, but I can see why they aren't. Geelong has a specific pay model and to play for us you fit into that, certain positions in B+F, Brownlow and Media awards push you up the money list I'm guessing. Captain gets a bit more ect. Keeps everyone level headed and no one takes a big bite of the pie. I don't think the club would rip Motlop off, they are probably just saying "In our pay structure this is where you fit, and this is what we are offering."

Motlop is obviously worth more at another team, but you don't break your club Morals for anyone. If he wants to play at Geelong he will understand and sign on.

We don't have the best ran club for no reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back