Murray Football League (Part 4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any truth in Saad Saad pulling on the jumper for Barooga in 2010?? have heard from some barooga boys that he will be...

Be a great pick up if true, watched him play against Rochester and Kyabram last season, very small and arrogant, but has ability to destroy teams off his own back, hard to match up, very good player!

COACH SIGNED - Riv Herald Monday 14th Dec
Tongala Football Club has finally announced its senior coach for 2010 just two weeks out from Christmas, with Brett Armstrong set to take the reins.
The club held a meeting with Armstrong on Friday afternoon, when the final decision was made.
Armstrong will replace Daryl Harrison, who stepped down from the role after four seasons in the job to focus on family and his own game on the field.
``I'm very happy,'' Armstrong told The Riv of his appointment.
``I've been a little while out, but I'm happy to be getting back into the swing of it.''
The 40-year-old last coached in 2002 when he took Lockington-Bamawm United to a grand final in the Heathcote and District Football League in his second year with the club.
He also coached Leitchville-Gunbower in the Central Murray Football League and Picola in the Picola and District Football League.
As a player, Armstrong spent time with Echuca and also played in the Diamond Valley Football League in outer Melbourne.
The Echuca landscaper said after being out of football for seven years, he decided it was time to give coaching another crack.
``The position came available and I ummed and ahed about it, but in the end it was just too good an opportunity to get back into major league coaching,'' he said.
``(It's a) one year (deal) at the moment, but I am hoping it will go two years if both parties agree, but that will be looked at half way through the year.''
Armstrong dismissed suggestions it could be a tough year for the Blues, who although just missing out on finals last year, have been rumoured to have lost a number of key players.
``There has been a bit of talk,'' he said.
``(But), they have only really lost two or three real senior players so far.
``They have got a good list to work with, so we should be thereabouts.''
Armstrong said the further development of younger players next year would be a key.
``They have got a really good grounding of kids,'' he said.
``With the age of their team, one year can make a big difference.''
Tongala president Barry Nexhip said it was a lengthy process to find a new coach, but he was pleased with the signing.
``We have had a few to look through,'' he said.
``But, now our coach and assistant coach are done and dusted. He (Armstrong) has coached before and he was a fair player. I think he will be very good.''
Tongala's other signings include midfielder Brett Scarcella, who will work under Armstrong as an assistant coach.
The 22-year-old has moved across from Kyabram and District Football League side Merrigum.
``He is only a young bloke, but he wants to coach down the track, so he was more than happy to take the assistant coach job,'' Nexhip said.
Tallygaroopna on-baller James Callum, a former Goulburn Valley Football League player with Shepparton United, will also take to the field for the Blues next year.
Armstrong will take his first training session with Tongala on Wednesday before the side takes a break over Christmas, returning to pre-season training on January 6.
Outgoing coach Harrison is expected to have an on-field leadership role with the club next year, possibly as captain.

Respect is top of Sexton’s wish list
BRETT KOHLHAGEN - Border Mail
16 Dec, 2009
THE Finley Football Club has turned to club legend Damien Sexton to lead it out of the doldrums.
Sexton, who steered the Cats to their last Murray league finals appearance in 2007, takes over from Simon Kenny and says his first task is helping the club regain respect after two winless seasons.
“Success is hard to get, you have to earn it,” Sexton said.

“We understand the task ahead but are heading in the right direction. We want to fix what we have and create something for the future.

“I didn’t see myself coaching again after getting out of it two years ago but I have kids and they need a football and netball club, and I’m very determined to help get that respect back.

“It’s probably the biggest challenge I have faced in footy, to be honest.”

The Finley life member looks to have the right support with Ashleigh Haynes taking over as president and Mick Taylor (reserves coach) Rob Daniel and Darren Jackson set to take on added responsibility as the Cats start the long haul back.

Sexton intends to play but only to assist the development of the club’s younger players.

“It’s not about me,” he said.

“I’ll probably play to see if I can help develop the kids.

“We won the third grade premiership this year and I’m looking forward to working with them.”

Sexton played 227 matches for Finley and spent time with Yarra-wonga and Blighty in a career that netted him an astonishing 11 club best and fairests.

The former star rover played four matches with St Kilda in 1990 and picked up All-Australian honours at the National Country Championships in 2000.

Haynes said Finley was looking forward to building from the ground up.

“Our juniors won the premiership last year and we will give them every chance,” he said.

“The easy option would be to go down a league but we still wouldn’t have had structure.

“Damien brings that with him.”

Sexton is presently coaching the Victorian Country under-19 and Western Riverina under 18 sides

Respect is top of Sexton’s wish list
BRETT KOHLHAGEN - Border Mail
16 Dec, 2009
THE Finley Football Club has turned to club legend Damien Sexton to lead it out of the doldrums.
Sexton, who steered the Cats to their last Murray league finals appearance in 2007, takes over from Simon Kenny and says his first task is helping the club regain respect after two winless seasons.
“Success is hard to get, you have to earn it,” Sexton said.

“We understand the task ahead but are heading in the right direction. We want to fix what we have and create something for the future.

“I didn’t see myself coaching again after getting out of it two years ago but I have kids and they need a football and netball club, and I’m very determined to help get that respect back.

“It’s probably the biggest challenge I have faced in footy, to be honest.”

The Finley life member looks to have the right support with Ashleigh Haynes taking over as president and Mick Taylor (reserves coach) Rob Daniel and Darren Jackson set to take on added responsibility as the Cats start the long haul back.

Sexton intends to play but only to assist the development of the club’s younger players.

“It’s not about me,” he said.

“I’ll probably play to see if I can help develop the kids.

“We won the third grade premiership this year and I’m looking forward to working with them.”

Sexton played 227 matches for Finley and spent time with Yarra-wonga and Blighty in a career that netted him an astonishing 11 club best and fairests.

The former star rover played four matches with St Kilda in 1990 and picked up All-Australian honours at the National Country Championships in 2000.

Haynes said Finley was looking forward to building from the ground up.

“Our juniors won the premiership last year and we will give them every chance,” he said.

“The easy option would be to go down a league but we still wouldn’t have had structure.

“Damien brings that with him.”

Sexton is presently coaching the Victorian Country under-19 and Western Riverina under 18 sides

A country footy legend-I hope he gets some success:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MURRAY FOOTBALL LEAGUE

2010 COACHES

BAROOGA: Rob Wren

COBRAM: Robert Osborne

CONGUPNA: Steve Daniels

DENILIQUIN: Gary Parsons

ECHUCA UNITED: Dale Reyne

FINLEY: Damien Sexton

MOAMA: Shannon Keam & Luke Eldridge

MULWALA: Tim Hargreaves

NATHALIA: John Nihill

NUMURKAH: Chris O'Dwyer

RUMBALARA: Sam Ahmet

TOCUMWAL: Lucas White

TONGALA: Brett Armstrong

MURRAY FOOTBALL LEAGUE

2010 COACHES

Best of luck to both SJ on his VCFL return and my old Broadford cricket team mate in Robbie Wren - two ripper blokes who I hope do well in their new appointments :thumbsu:

Best of luck to both SJ on his VCFL return and my old Broadford cricket team mate in Robbie Wren - two ripper blokes who I hope do well in their new appointments :thumbsu:

Doona I reckon that they will do very well. I will go out on a limb and say I reckon they might play each other in the last game of the year

MURRAY FOOTBALL LEAGUE

2010 COACHES

Who do you fellas think is the best coach in the league?

I think Sexton will go well.
ill say Parsons. only because iv played under him. Hes one of those coach's who has a great ability to get the best out of his players.

MURRAY FOOTBALL LEAGUE

2010 COACHES

I think you might find he would be happy to do it talking to him earlier in the week.
Although nothing is in place yet and is only looking after pre season at this stage

Who do you fellas think is the best coach in the league?

I think Sexton will go well.
ill say Parsons. only because iv played under him. Hes one of those coach's who has a great ability to get the best out of his players.

Gee there is some good ones there, the Congupna Coach would have most of the boys covered wouldnt he for achievements and level of coaching, and Sexton is a legend, I just hope this job doesnt lower his past successful record. Finley is talking about picking up now about 7-8 new young players and that is great for the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back