Murray Football League (Part 4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riv Herald
Looking ahead
United expects full complement of teams

Echuca United has appointed its junior coaches as the club looks ahead to the 2010 season.
And, this year, an under 14 side looks almost certain to hit the park.
Echuca United’s Mark McGann has taken on the role as junior development officer, while Jarrad Nuttall and Cameron McMullan will co-coach the under 17 side, John Taylor will take the under 14 role and Dean Anderson will make his coaching debut with the under 12s. McGann said the club was happy it had put a strong structure in place for the coming season.
‘‘We are very happy with those guys coming into the club, particularly those guys coming into under 17 level,’’ he said.
‘‘Jarrad and Cam bring a lot of experience to the club. ‘‘Jarrad with his football career and Cam with his international career in canoeing brings a lot to the club training wise and fitness wise, so I think those guys will work well together.
‘‘It will be great to see (the under 14s out there) after not being able to put a team on the field last year.
‘‘We have had great interest and we are really looking forward to getting them back up and running.’’
McGann said he was also excited about his own role after many years of coaching. ‘‘After six years of coaching junior footy it will be a different role for me as junior development officer, but hopefully it is something I will take on and embrace and help all the coaches out,’’ he said. Nuttall said he was looking forward to taking the reins of the under 17s with McMullan. ‘‘It has come as a bit of a surprise, but I am definitely looking forward to it,’’ he said. ‘‘It’s a new opportunity for me and I am going to take it along with Cam to help these kids develop a bit more and have some success along the way.’’
Nuttall, 23, has had an extensive playing career but has never coached. He has been an interleague representative, played with the North Ballarat Rebels and Bendigo Pioneers under 18s, was a senior best and fairest runner-up at Echuca United in 2005, played in
United’s 2006 senior grand final and has spent the past three years at Leitchville-Gunbower. ‘‘I’m coming off a knee reconstruction, so I’m not sure if I’ll play too many (senior) games, but I’ll help build these kids up,’’ Nuttall said. ‘‘I’ve had no past coaching
(experience). Just senior roles, leadership roles, that’s all. It’s a good way to start I suppose, in a junior role. You find out if you
can or you can’t coach I suppose.’’ Nuttall said he was also pleased to have a co-coach along for the ride. ‘‘You have someone to bounce off, especially with the experience of Cam which is going to be fantastic,’’ he said. ‘‘He has competed at international
level at a different sport. And, he has knowledge of the kids already, he knows most of them where as I don’t. We’re looking forward to February.’’ Taylor said he hoped United could field a successful side when they bring an under 14s team back into the fold next year. ‘‘In the five years I have been at the club . . . the under 14s have played finals every year,’’ he said. ‘‘It was just last year a big
mass of boys stepped up to the under 17s and left us short in the under 14s. ‘‘But, this year hopefully we can entice a few more boys up to the club and make it worth their while and play some good footy.’’ Taylor, who has coached the Eagles under 12s side for the
past two years, said he was happy to be coaching the under 14s. ‘‘It will be a good challenge with the under 14s this year, stepping up from the under 12s,’’ he said. ‘‘It will be good for me, it will be good for the boys.’’ The 38-year-old, who was under 12 Goulburn-Campaspe Junior Football League coach of the year in 2008, said while the side was looking promising, more numbers were needed.
‘‘We need some numbers down here for sure,’’ he said. ‘‘There are 10 boys from the under 12s that have stepped up which will be bottom age under 14s, so therefore we are looking for some middle and top-age under 14s.’’ Anderson is another new to coaching but believes his extensive past playing experience should be invaluable for the under 12s. The 34-year-old played football with Echuca and Bamawm and also spent a couple of years in Melbourne with Hurstbridge and Eltham in the Northern Football League.
‘‘It should be a really good year for us,’’ he said. ‘‘It (coaching) is something I thought about half way through last season when I got to learn all the kids names and the parents and that. It was nice that John (Taylor) actually looked at me as coach and I took it on
board and they accepted me.’’ Anderson said his focus would be on a competitive yet fun season for the team. ‘‘I hope to get a bit of
enthusiasm going with the kids but just make sure they have fun,’’ he said. ‘‘It’s their first year of real footy so you want them to have
fun and enjoy themselves and then step up to the under 14s and 17s.’’
—Chris Cavanagh

Shepp News
Tongala has Scarcella, but as yet still no coach
Ashleigh Williamson

Tongala is still searching for a senior coach despite signing Merrigum midfielder Brett Scarcella as an assistant for next season.
Scarcella's appointment is unusual given clubs normally finalise a head coach before signing assistants.

Matt Smith, who coached Riverina Football League side Leeton-Whitton this year, pulled out of the running for Tongala's top job.

``We organised a meeting with him, but he called and cancelled and we had already driven halfway to meet him,'' Blues president Barry Nexhip said yesterday.

Nexhip hopes to secure a replacement for outgoing coach Daryl Harrison within a week.

Scarcella, who has lived in Tongala for the past 18 months, has taken on an assistant role with intentions of being a head coach in the future.

``I figured I always wanted to do it (coach) at the end of my career, but I thought it would be better to start now and get some experience,'' Scarcella said.

``Tonny has told me if I stick around long enough I might be able to step up and coach in three to four years.''

The 22-year-old, who has previously played for Tatura, Numurkah and Merrigum, said Tongala had chased him for the past three years.

``One of my good mates over at Tat, Linc Wellington, left to coach Numurkah (in 2007) so I followed him there,'' Scarcella said.

``He's now back at Tat and I thought the time was right to give Tonny a crack.''

Tongala has also picked up talented Tallygaroopna on-baller James Callum.

Callum finished runner-up in the Redlegs' best and fairest after joining the club from Shepparton United.

He is engaged to Tongala netballer Kristen McGill.

Tongala could be about to announce their coach. I was wrong previously but believe it will be a non-playing coach who had links to Echuca in the 80's and 90's

Hey Ringo!! finally you might be right, final meeting might even be happening as I write this. Hopefully all signed sealed and delivered by lunchtime.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

16 Oct 2009, 22:28
Jason Kerr not wanted at Cobram, Ass. Coach at Toc is the word!

Assistant coach role for Kerr
BORDER MAIL
BRETT KOHLHAGEN
10 Dec, 2009
After spending the past two seasons coaching Cobram, the super-fit veteran has joined the Bloods with his focus on developing the club’s youngsters.

Club president Stuart Roe said Kerr had plenty to offer the club despite being in the twilight of his career.

“We have some good kids and Jason will work with them closely,” Roe said.

“He’ll be playing as well and should fit in nicely.”

Kerr, who played 229 matches for North Albury, left Bunton Park at the end of 2004 to spend two years in charge of Central Murray league club Woorinen before joining Cobram for another two-year stint.

Roe said Tocumwal had signed a coach, but would only reveal his identity in the next week.

“He has a few things to work through in regards to work,” Roe said.

See they have the coaching job advertised on the VCFL website ATM, Not getting enough money teaching and coaching Ringo? See you have now got three jobs!!

Franky,franky franky...... Would yopu give up a lucrative gig on triple m to coach or play for Finley:eek: As I said its about time there were some real names released.Spare me!!!!
just a whisper i heard, also was said that he asked for 100 grand

Hank as you welcome on board new coach Brett Armstrong is there any chance that his former Nth Melbourne draftee brother Damon could be in the mix or is he still over West ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back