Review NAB Challenge Adelaide v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm appreciating having VB back even more than I thought I would. He does add a lot to our side when he's playing his best footy.

Could be recruit of the year. The little I've seen he seems to be playing better now he's not captain. Just good to have a really experienced "recruit" and obviously someone who can still lead and instruct the younger ones on field

Great composure and recovery after port got a good start.

Good even team contribution.

Jenkins nearly breaking even in the ruck, that's all we need him to do, doesn't even need to worry about winning it, just nullify until Sauce comes back. Did a lot better at that today, showing some good learning going on.

Coming off of our man, was brilliant, went at the right time, to the right person as fast as we could. Was poetry in motion!

Result today achieved with second choice mids doing plenty, whereas for port it was the usual suspects, suggests we have some more power to burn should we need it.

Putting the ball out in front and into attacking space, specially out on the wings coming from half back a couple of times.

CEY, Dougie, Hendo, VB all heaps of good signs.

Matthew Wright started poorly but came good.

Brodie Smith seemed quiet, couldnt pick up what role he was playing tho.

Cheney getting better and better, was quite good today. Has a good kick, may just overrate it a bit occaisionally and bites off targets that are too difficult for him to chew.

Thought Kyle hartigan went better.

Handball to kick ratio was good for us 195 to 136 and our defense forced port to be nearly 1:1 194 to 187.

Clearances were pretty even which was good as port towelled us up at that for periods in the game especially first two quarters.

Soundly led contested possession all day.

18 marks inside 50 from 45 entries is fricken top shelf.

Tackle count was won and was brilliant, probably a record at 73.

Lost disposal count and inside 50s by 50 and 10 respectively but won the game. They played our old style, wide, indirect, over possession and poor entries.

You lot were fine tuning hunting in packs, switching play out of defence (the old Hawthorn slide in front of the defenders) and seem to have a couple of variations you'll use during the year for forward fifty entries.

I have no idea what we were trying to fine tune other than to get Young, Neade, Sam Gray, Mitchell and Butcher as much action as possible.

Great composure and recovery after port got a good start.

Good even team contribution.

Jenkins nearly breaking even in the ruck, that's all we need him to do, doesn't even need to worry about winning it, just nullify until Sauce comes back. Did a lot better at that today, showing some good learning going on.

Coming off of our man, was brilliant, went at the right time, to the right person as fast as we could. Was poetry in motion!

Result today achieved with second choice mids doing plenty, whereas for port it was the usual suspects, suggests we have some more power to burn should we need it.

Putting the ball out in front and into attacking space, specially out on the wings coming from half back a couple of times.

CEY, Dougie, Hendo, VB all heaps of good signs.

Matthew Wright started poorly but came good.

Brodie Smith seemed quiet, couldnt pick up what role he was playing tho.

Cheney getting better and better, was quite good today. Has a good kick, may just overrate it a bit occaisionally and bites off targets that are too difficult for him to chew.

Thought Kyle hartigan went better.

Handball to kick ratio was good for us 195 to 136 and our defense forced port to be nearly 1:1 194 to 187.

Clearances were pretty even which was good as port towelled us up at that for periods in the game especially first two quarters.

Soundly led contested possession all day.

18 marks inside 50 from 45 entries is fricken top shelf.

Tackle count was won and was brilliant, probably a record at 73.

Lost disposal count and inside 50s by 50 and 10 respectively but won the game. They played our old style, wide, indirect, over possession and poor entries.
I enjoy your match summaries.:thumbsu:

I felt like Lobbe smashed Sauce today without looking at stats. V surprised he had more hitouts

Why was Jaensch left out?
Being managed I gather as Walsh mentioned mj is in the best side... Though laird applied some pressure today.

You lot were fine tuning hunting in packs, switching play out of defence (the old Hawthorn slide in front of the defenders) and seem to have a couple of variations you'll use during the year for forward fifty entries.

I have no idea what we were trying to fine tune other than to get Young, Neade, Sam Gray, Mitchell and Butcher as much action as possible.

At the game *PAF it seemed the only tactics you were using for forward entries was the run on at all costs flow, which is high risk when the you don't have the ball on a string ala Betts today.

At the game *PAF it seemed the only tactics you were using for forward entries was the run on at all costs flow, which is high risk when the you don't have the ball on a string ala Betts today.
Yeah you probably had a better view as it was one weird game to watch on TV.

If each team had their own ball and practiced whatever they were meant to do and ignored the opposition players it would have made more sense. :D

Smears can't help themselves...everytime they lose to us they whinge about the free kick count. It's all a conspiracy. Such a victim mentality. My Uncle has barracked for the Magpies all his life and according to him, the only reason Port lose is because they get the raw prawn for free kicks or because they played poorly. In forty years I've never heard him say that Port were outplayed. Not even one time.

I want to know how they get away with what looks like 1870 on there backs. This is factually incorrect for port power franchise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting game. Bit of be careful what you wish for with Smith in midfield, robs us of so much drive and composure. On that I thought Cheney was great today, reads it so well.

Tex is monstering big defenders and he will lead this team to good things whilst the man whom he replaced is playing with freedom as is Douglas.

Jenkins is a worry for mine, hope Lowden gets up to speed soon and Crouch...... well it just doesn't look good.

I want to know how they get away with what looks like 1870 on there backs. This is factually incorrect for port power franchise.

yes, when everyone knows they started back in 1280 BC losing their first game to the Palestine Pelicans... Moses was best on that day - kicking 4 second half goals but just couldn't drag port over the line...

Yeah you probably had a better view as it was one weird game to watch on TV.

If each team had their own ball and practiced whatever they were meant to do and ignored the opposition players it would have made more sense. :D

We needed another team to practice our team defence though ;) and I have to say that I was very impressed for most of the game with our pressuring the ball carrier.

We needed another team to practice our team defence though ;) and I have to say that I was very impressed for most of the game with our pressuring the ball carrier.
That part certainly stood out. :thumbsu:

Don't know how much you can read into these games. Bulldogs 70 v magpies 28.

Centre clearances need some work/Dangerfield

Pressure was great, a throw back to our successful years

CEY - hate to say I told you so...

Thought we were smarter with our pressure today. At times we were prepared to give a little ground, whilst regrouping up field. I dont know whether Port weren't switching much today, but we seemed to bottle them up when they tried it. Overall, good signs, disposal must be a continual focus, we will beat more teams than we lose to with that kind of pressure game.

Oh before I forget there was something very interesting before the team even came out. The first set of drills was being laid out set for the players as soon as they came out. None of this run and a bit of a sprint around the square, they came out and pretty much straight into the first drill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back