Preview NAB Challenge Round 3: v Essendon Top Ups - Etihad Stadium, Friday 20th March, 5.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Jesse Hogan, 2. Nathan Jones, 3. Christian Salem, 4. Jack Watts, 5. Jimmy Toumpas, 6. Chris Dawes, 7. Jack Viney, 8. Heritier Lumumba, 11. Max Gawn, 12. Dom Tyson, 13. Jordie Mckenzie, 14. Lynden Dunn, 17. Sam Frost, 18. Daniel Cross, 19. Ben Newton, 20. Colin Garland, 21. Cameron Pedersen, 22. Viv Michie, 24. Jay Kennedy-Harris, 25. Tom McDonald, 31. Jack Grimes, 36. Jeff Garlett, 37. Aaron vandenBerg, 39. Neville Jetta, 40. Mark Jamar, 44. Rohan Bail, 45. Matt Jones

Also the AFL's trying some new things:

15 second shot clock – For when a player is having a shot at goal following a mark or free kick, a 15 second countdown clock will appear on the scoreboard and count from 15 down to zero at the point where the umpire tells the player he has 15 seconds remaining. The player must begin his approach before the clock reaches zero (or the umpire calls play on).

Explanation of free kicks during scoreboard replays – Currently, the television audience receives some explanation via the umpire communications system, but this is not heard by patrons at the ground. The scoreboard operator will be connected to the umpire communication system and will activate explanation of the reason for the free kick during replays.

Broadcasting umpire explanation of score reviews - The TV broadcast currently takes this audio and the AFL will now seek to play this audio on the ground PA, pending the audio quality.

The fakeydons have dropped former Melbourne stars so we have a chance

are there any changes to the dees squad? my photographic memory is letting me down, thank goodness for INs and OUTs during H&A, doing my head in this.

are there any changes to the dees squad? my photographic memory is letting me down, thank goodness for INs and OUTs during H&A, doing my head in this.
Well here's last weeks squad:

Rohan Bail, Daniel Cross, Chris Dawes, Lynden Dunn, Jack Fitzpatrick, Sam Frost, Colin Garland, Jeff Garlett, Max Gawn, Jack Grimes, Jesse Hogan, Mark Jamar, Neville Jetta, Matt Jones, Nathan Jones, Jay Kennedy-Harris, Heritier Lumumba, Tom McDonald, Jordie McKenzie, Viv Michie, Ben Newton, Cameron Pedersen, Christian Salem, Billy Stretch, Jimmy Toumpas, Dom Tyson, Aaron vandenBerg, Jack Viney and Jack Watts

But it's in alphabetical order, not numerical order like this weeks. Whoever is responsible for that should be sacked.

Dunno where Kent is at currently (coming back from injury?) but i hope he is ready fro R1.

Don't know about the umpires being mic'ed up for the ground patrons to hear. On the one hand it will stop confusion because sometimes at the ground I have seriously NFI what's going on; on the other hand one of the reasons I like going to the footy is that it feels a 'purer' experience without all the bullshit from the TV broadcast.

It'd be great if they could somehow only do it for 'controversial' or very ambiguous situations, but I doubt the AFL has the capacity to deliver something like that.

Are Bail and M.Jones really ahead of Riley?
Different types of players I guess, surely one or both of them will make way for Vince/Howe early in the season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much going with our best available squad. Do not want to embarrass ourselves here.

It's Nab and Paul Roos is the coach. He told Sydney to lose a NAB match one year

Lineup looks alright except for Jordie and Matt jones, although Jordie always plays well against the bombers for some reason (minus round 2 2013). What i'm more concerned about is the stupid count down clock for set shots, and umpiring decisions being broadcast is a smart idea, it's not like we'll pick up plays swearing their heads off like we have before on the Television. The field as the players realm and the supporters sit outside that on the stands or watch TV or listen to radio, we do not need to hear or see everything

Don't know about the umpires being mic'ed up for the ground patrons to hear. On the one hand it will stop confusion because sometimes at the ground I have seriously NFI what's going on; on the other hand one of the reasons I like going to the footy is that it feels a 'purer' experience without all the bullshit from the TV broadcast.

It'd be great if they could somehow only do it for 'controversial' or very ambiguous situations, but I doubt the AFL has the capacity to deliver something like that.

To me it sounds like there will be some text on the big screen during replays of free kicks that will be a summary of what the umpire said. I don't think it will detract from the feel of the game/atmosphere at all. You'll only notice it if you look up to the screen and take the time to read the interpretation.
They used to do this with Rugby Union games in VIC before it became more popular so uneducated fans no what the hell was going on and could learn the rules.

Are Bail and M.Jones really ahead of Riley?

I would say unequivocally yes. Both Bail and Jones provide run and a bit of speed that we are crucially lacking. Yes, they can tend to butcher it a bit once they do find space, but Riley is no better disposing by foot so at least the former are offering something.

I'm yet to see the aggression and ferocious attack on the pill that warrants Riley's nickname and if that is absent then I don't see a role for him at all.

To me it sounds like there will be some text on the big screen during replays of free kicks that will be a summary of what the umpire said. I don't think it will detract from the feel of the game/atmosphere at all. You'll only notice it if you look up to the screen and take the time to read the interpretation.
They used to do this with Rugby Union games in VIC before it became more popular so uneducated fans no what the hell was going on and could learn the rules.

Ok makes sense, thanks.

I wonder if the top ups will all disappear or suffer some unfortunate fates á la the Simpsons "top ups" in the softball episode.

The bloke who plays in Magner's position won't, though.

Clisby I thought I told you cut those damn sideburns !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back