Teams New England Patriots - The Pats

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny you should say this,between this and all the other sh*t going on, do you remember what happened to the Chargers after the other gate?
I would be more than happy for the Patriots to replicate the 38-14 scoreline from that game. 24-0 at half time would be pure ecstasy.

Now before people get after me, that was being discussed over at Patsfans today. :D:p

I'll work with you being a person new to the game so I'll break it down step by step for you.

On Offence, the Patriots can tack an extra linemen on the line (you generally have 5 players on the OL - LT/LG/CE/RG/RT). The 6th lineman the Patriots use is generally Cameron Fleming. He's a rookie tackle who plays the position. This gives the Patriots the power formation you're talking about. The Pats can use this to attack Seattle's Defensive Line but the problem becomes Seattle's Linebackers (they play at the second level of D in between the DL and the Secondary (Legion of Boom). Their LBs are incredibly athletic and fast so the Patriots will need to ensure that they hit all of their blocking assignments. Seattle has shown they're susceptible to the run between the tackles (generally in a 43 front that means DE/DT/DT/DE & 3LBS). Brandon Mebane, their gun DT is out and it's probably their only weakness on D. If Brian Stork, the Patriots CE plays, I expect the Patriots to dominate the line of scrimmage and pick up the guts yards with Blount (Eddie Lacy was able to do this and they are similar in stature). If the Patriots execute their blocks, this is where the Patriots can use Seattle's speed against them and block them "around" the ballcarrier and Brady.

Generally the Seahawks play something called a Cover 3 shell. Basically it means they can drop 2 Corners and a Safety into coverage and force throws to the outside whilst attempting to take away the inside run. The reason why Seattle is so impressive is they have 2 superstars dropping into coverage and 1 superstar coming up in run support. The scheme itself isn't difficult to beat as the players play zones (think footy zones), it's more the quality of players that makes this work. The Patriots can beat the Seahawks cover 3 shell by designing plays to exploit holes in the zone. This is one of their strengths given the Patriots excel in the short to medium passing game and Tom Brady is incredibly accurate. If the Patriots OL beats the Seahawks DL, it'll go a long way to helping the cause.

Given all those comments, the reality is it's going to come down to winning your individual match-up. Green Bay showed you can beat the Seahawks D but you absolutely must cash in when opportunities present. Further to the point, if the Patriots D stifles Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch, they should not lose this game. Luckily, the Patriots D is versatile enough to do this and it's cause for great optimism given they just clobbered a young QB with more skills than Wilson.

cheers man good read

Funny you should say this,between this and all the other sh*t going on, do you remember what happened to the Chargers after the other gate?

I'm often in 2 minds when Brady makes a bonehead/very poor play late in the first half... It's bad that he made the poor play but he almost invariably gets pissed off and pissed off Tom Brady is an unstoppable force....

I think being asked questions in the manner he was yesterday will simply fire Brady up. Brady v the World is exactly what we want. I'm not entirely unsure Belichick didn't direct attention Brady's way on purpose ....

I'll work with you being a person new to the game so I'll break it down step by step for you.

On Offence, the Patriots can tack an extra linemen on the line (you generally have 5 players on the OL - LT/LG/CE/RG/RT). The 6th lineman the Patriots use is generally Cameron Fleming. He's a rookie tackle who plays the position. This gives the Patriots the power formation you're talking about. The Pats can use this to attack Seattle's Defensive Line but the problem becomes Seattle's Linebackers (they play at the second level of D in between the DL and the Secondary (Legion of Boom). Their LBs are incredibly athletic and fast so the Patriots will need to ensure that they hit all of their blocking assignments. Seattle has shown they're susceptible to the run between the tackles (generally in a 43 front that means DE/DT/DT/DE & 3LBS). Brandon Mebane, their gun DT is out and it's probably their only weakness on D. If Brian Stork, the Patriots CE plays, I expect the Patriots to dominate the line of scrimmage and pick up the guts yards with Blount (Eddie Lacy was able to do this and they are similar in stature). If the Patriots execute their blocks, this is where the Patriots can use Seattle's speed against them and block them "around" the ballcarrier and Brady.

Generally the Seahawks play something called a Cover 3 shell. Basically it means they can drop 2 Corners and a Safety into coverage and force throws to the outside whilst attempting to take away the inside run. The reason why Seattle is so impressive is they have 2 superstars dropping into coverage and 1 superstar coming up in run support. The scheme itself isn't difficult to beat as the players play zones (think footy zones), it's more the quality of players that makes this work. The Patriots can beat the Seahawks cover 3 shell by designing plays to exploit holes in the zone. This is one of their strengths given the Patriots excel in the short to medium passing game and Tom Brady is incredibly accurate. If the Patriots OL beats the Seahawks DL, it'll go a long way to helping the cause.

Given all those comments, the reality is it's going to come down to winning your individual match-up. Green Bay showed you can beat the Seahawks D but you absolutely must cash in when opportunities present. Further to the point, if the Patriots D stifles Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch, they should not lose this game. Luckily, the Patriots D is versatile enough to do this and it's cause for great optimism given they just clobbered a young QB with more skills than Wilson.

Great post.

Worth re-emphasising that zones v Brady have almost always struggled. Especially if our O line does its job....

I'm happy to see more generally that talk is finally turning to the game

Cue GTA Music

10952347_1057818854235703_2652035152915141887_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright guys if I don't post before the Superbowl then enjoy the game, well here's to hoping anyway. I'm off to the US tomorrow. I'll have some pics when I'm back.

Patriots hail Rob Gronkowski’s beautiful football mind
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 29, 2015, 10:01 AM EST
54fc20d80a062f99f1e23eeefd242f11.jpeg
AP
Everybody sees Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski as a harmless meathead, but his teammates see a different side.

He is, they say, “brilliant.”

No, really.

“If you meet Rob for 10 or 15 minutes, you might get an impression that may or may not be what it’s like to have him in your office, in a classroom and on the field for six, seven hours a day,” Patriots coach Bill Belichick said, via Phil Perry of CSNNE.com. “It might be a little bit different . . . Potentially.”

Gronkowski has to be smart to handle the multiple roles the Patriots demand of him, and they say he handles it easily.

“Rob’s a very bright guy,” offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels said. “We ask a lot of him. And he won’t let us down. He refuses to let us down with what we ask of him.

“He’s obviously very intricately involved in the running game. He’s involved in the passing game. We move him all over the formation. We put him outside, we put him inside, we motion him. He’s involved in third down, red zone. He’s involved in everything. I kind of relate it to the quarterback position. . . .

“When you talk about his demeanor in the meeting room, he’s like Tom Brady. When you talk about the way he prepares and practices, same thing.”

While that might not be consistent with some of his frat-boy antics, the results on the field indicate that there’s something to it.

Ok Patriot Nation Down Under......the Day is almost upon us.

I am so Friggen....... toey .

I unfortunately have to work tomorrow and cant watch the game live , but the game will being followed closely on the internet.

The two emotions that I am likely to experience are polar opposite .

I have already warned the good lady that if I am not in tomorrow night I will be some where neutral and venting my displeasure so as the family don't have to witness a middle age Patriot Tragic in a state of mental distress.

Alternately if The Pats win ....then we are all going out for dinner.

Jokes aside lets hope the outcome is what we all want. In BB and TFB we trust.

Enjoy the day fellow Patriots.

Good luck fellas! You's have copped a bit of crap last two weeks which kinda makes me want the pats to win but not sure how itl go. Anyway wish you's the best and really jealous of the few guys that are actually at the SB

Remove this Banner Ad

Back