Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Him getting booed didn't look good for the Club. Again, if it was so important he did it, why not the presser last Monday? Agree with Ironmonger — it came across as a cynical attempt to ingratiate himself with a supporter base he knows full well (thanks to the work of TLR) do not support him

Just to clarify, that's not what I'm saying. Skoob might be right in that Sharpless thought it was his place. I believe he should've thought twice.

I don't think Sharpless is a villain or an egomaniac. I just think he's repeatedly shown his clumsiness at public relations and this was another example of it.

The booing may have sounded bigger on TV than it did at the ground. It was hardly noticeable at the ground.
Sorry peeps bag him over other things but this a serious non issue imo. The bloke is the club president. Who else was supposed to speak! He was short sharp and to the point and he took nothing away from the occasion. I found nothing embarrassing.

Him getting booed didn't look good for the Club. Again, if it was so important he did it, why not the presser last Monday? Agree with Ironmonger — it came across as a cynical attempt to ingratiate himself with a supporter base he knows full well (thanks to the work of TLR) do not support him.

Personally would have found it far more fitting for the bloke who coached Brown in three premierships — and is the current Director overseeing football matters — to have done it. And that man is not less in any sense of the word.

I think anyone seeing Browny's announcement of retirement, would understand the presence of Leigh and Leppa..being former coach, now Director of the club and former teammate now coach...

While I wouldn't have known Sharpless had I fallen over him, still thought it was his place.....and not the place or moment for him to be booed.

Thought the balance of who appeared where was a good spread. Just my opinion though.

I also think the whole JB retirement, from Monday through to Saturday night was handled brilliantly by everyone ........just perfect for him and what he deserved:thumbsu:

Last edited:

The booing may have sounded bigger on TV than it did at the ground. It was hardly noticeable at the ground.
Sorry peeps bag him over other things but this a serious non issue imo. The bloke is the club president. Who else was supposed to speak! He was short sharp and to the point and he took nothing away from the occasion. I found nothing embarrassing.

Is this really what people think? I mean, there'd be dozens of other candidates. Former premiership teammates, the current captain, the current coach, some bloke from the pub...

I agree it's not a big issue, and it probably doesn't merit the attention I'm giving it (watching a replay of a very boring world cup game right now), but I think it is part a pattern.

Is this really what people think? I mean, there'd be dozens of other candidates. Former premiership teammates, the current captain, the current coach, some bloke from the pub...

I agree it's not a big issue, and it probably doesn't merit the attention I'm giving it (watching a replay of a very boring world cup game right now), but I think it is part a pattern.
Well yes. He is the highest official of the club. Sorry mate but there is a bit of damned if he did and damned if he didn't with this. Hey I detest the very air that the Can Dooooooooooo breaths but I expect "it" to be the face of the state when the correct occasion requires it if you get my drift.

Well yes. He is the highest official of the club. Sorry mate but there is a bit of damned if he did and damned if he didn't with this. Hey I detest the very air that the Can Dooooooooooo breaths but I expect "it" to be the face of the state when the correct occasion requires it if you get my drift.

Well fair enough, I suppose.

Was pretty noticeable where I was sitting.

While I wouldn't have known Sharpless had I fallen over him, still thought it was his place.....and not the place or moment for him to be booed.

This is entirely my point. I didn't boo, and I thought it was in pretty poor taste for those who did. But surely the PR team at the Club would have had at least some inkling that a reaction like that was likely.

In ordinary circumstances, I agree, it should be the Chairman doing that stuff. But our Club's current situation is far from ordinary.

I don't think he's a villain or egomaniac either. Just that he's been trying too hard to win us over ever since it was pointed out to him that less than 12% of members support him as Chairman.

I was embarrassed. Others weren't. I'm happy to move on.

Was pretty noticeable where I was sitting.

Of course when you and your mates are leading it.

All jokes aside I noticed limited booing that subsided rapidly. To be frank I do not get booing. We do not need to be the eastern equivalent of supporters of the 2 Perth teams. Roger me rigid if ever there was a reason to stop booing it is their cacophony noise.

Doesn't Koch (Port Adelaide) operate as a fly in/fly out Chairman out of Sydney?

Yes he does but he's there during the week, come game day he's there. I don't necessarily think the chariman has to be at games all the time but i guess it looks bad if they're not to the general public etc.

Was interested in Melbourne's exploration of Melbourne Uni as a base today and the Lions at UQ.They (and the Broncos) already go there a bit for preseason anyway. There's a running track, playing fields (including a QAFL field), a swimming pool, gyms, lecture theatres, access to physio's, sports scientists etc. Maybe some space could be found for a joint venture admin, club house type facility and both parties could get and claim something out of it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hammo often has a Springfield related story on a Saturday.

Oh good, I was wondering what was going on between Carl and Lenny.

I'm just bemused that while Bob's been sending us his token emails in the name of "communication", we're stuck waiting for something to come through the courier fail. Yup.

Agreement did expire, but after everything that came out there was just no way the club was going to sign back on again, and i'm sure the AFL made sure we didn't. Sharpless won't have long left, and the new CEO will have a good fresh look at all this when they get in. Wouldn't expect much news for awhile. Basically all the way back to square 1, Gabba is expensive, we need new facilities for the footy club, what are our options? New CEO will earn their pay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back