New recruits - who worked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Elliott Yeo is going to be a jet, we've all seen what he could become.

Jamie Bennell looks like the bargain pick up of the last 3 years, he must surely be one of the 'locks' when the Match Committee meet each week.

The X man (Ellis) looks to be the goods, albeit with a body that is a bit for fragile than others.

The jury is out on others - Wellingham was good today but has clearly underperformed, Hutchings shows some good stuff but skills are an issue.

So the question is - who have been the best players in out 27 odd years who came from other clubs?

Names like Glendinning, Chick, and Kennedy spring to mind, but what about Merenda, Cummings and Adkins?

Last edited:

I know it's not what you're asking, but you've really gotta wonder what the hell is going on if the guys we've brought in for the last two seasons have done so well (other than Wellingham) and we've regressed so much.

Kennedy has even hands down the best player we have got from another club

Stenglein and chick the most pivotal as they were two very important pieces in the premiership puzzle

Adkins not a total loss - played better and longer at WC than Collingwood.

Cummings also won a coleman with us.

Names like Glendinning, Chick, and Kennedy spring to mind, but what about Merenda, Cummings and Adkins?

I really like these three funnily enough. Merenda for the point he kicked against Carlton to win the game back in 2002 or so, think it was Lynch's first match maybe?

Scotty because he's a great guy and won the coleman. I was at the match v Cats in between his bags of 14 and 10... think he kicked 1 goal maybe and got dragged.

And Chippa because he was so fast on AFL Live 2005

Armstrong would be the other one not mentioned yet. Did well as makeshift forward and who could forget his goal in the 06 GF. Didn't do too much before or after that though. He kind of reminds me of the role Cripps is playing now.

On Merenda, I only remember him for 2 things- Taking a hanger for Richmond on top of Guy Mckenna's head(in Mckenna's 250th game?) and kicking a cracking goal of the year for us against St. Kilda.

Just on this topic- Did Ken Judge ever recruit anybody(out of the plethora of players he traded in) that became a half decent player for us? I can only remember Michael Collica having a few solid years in the backline.

Last edited:
We paid for him though. I think we overpaid for chick for sure.

Considering their role in our premiership I would say they were worth every cent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Armstrong would be the other one not mentioned yet. Did well as makeshift forward and who could forget his goal in the 06 GF. Didn't do too much before or after that though. He kind of reminds me of the role Cripps is playing now.

On Merenda, I only remember him for 2 things- Taking a hanger for Richmond on top of Guy Mckenna's head(in Mckenna's last ever AFL game) and kicking a cracking goal of the year for us against St. Kilda.

Just on this topic- Did Ken Judge ever recruit anybody(out of the plethora of players he traded in) that became a half decent player for us? I can only remember Michael Collica having a few solid years in the backline.

He did draft Daniel Kerr. I would consider that his legacy over the BS drafting of hacks.

Kennedy has even hands down the best player we have got from another club

Stenglein and chick the most pivotal as they were two very important pieces in the premiership puzzle
These are the best three for me.
Yeo might in time rank the best of them all.
Has class, poise and toughness ,all the attributes of a good leader.

Elliott Yeo is going to be a jet, we've all seen what he could become.

Jamie Bennell looks like the bargain pick up of the last 3 years, he must surely be one of the 'locks' when the Match Committee meet each week.

The X man (Ellis) looks to be the goods, albeit with a body that is a bit for fragile than others.

The jury is out on others - Wellingham was good today but has clearly underperformed, Hutchings shows some good stuff but skills are an issue.

So the question is - who have been the best players in out 27 odd years who came from other clubs?

Agree about Yeo and Bennell. Ellis didn't cost us anything and based on output so far he's exceeded expectations
We overpaid for Wellingham. Knew it at the time too :( , so there's no hope of us ever winning that trade. He did play well today , hopefully being dropped has/will send the right message and he can gain consistency (his best has been good enough we just haven't seen it enough)
Not sure where Hutchings fits in within this thread as he has never played for another AFL club?
Hill was servicable Even if he gets delisted at the end of the year we were fortunate to have him for that times that LeCras missed a heap of football. Wasn't that expensive either

Agree about Yeo and Bennell. Ellis didn't cost us anything and based on output so far he's exceeded expectations
We overpaid for Wellingham. Knew it at the time too :( , so there's no hope of us ever winning that trade. He did play well today , hopefully being dropped has/will send the right message and he can gain consistency (his best has been good enough we just haven't seen it enough)
Not sure where Hutchings fits in within this thread as he has never played for another AFL club?
Hill was servicable Even if he gets delisted at the end of the year we were fortunate to have him for that times that LeCras missed a heap of football. Wasn't that expensive either
Hutchings was on the Saints rookie list previously.

How tf do you overpay for a player that has nominated that he wants to come home

We are soft as butter at the negotiating table - soft as shiite - we need to let one got through to the draft

Id also capitalise on the two team state thing by having a gentlemens agreement where we discuss not bidding against each other for players when its obvious that a player fits better at a team or take turns or whatever

I cant believe we lost ebert for a packet of crisps and a wedgie yet paid 18 for wellers

How tf do you overpay for a player that has nominated that he wants to come home

We are soft as butter at the negotiating table - soft as shiite - we need to let one got through to the draft

Id also capitalise on the two team state thing by having a gentlemens agreement where we discuss not bidding against each other for players when its obvious that a player fits better at a team or take turns or whatever

I cant believe we lost ebert for a packet of crisps and a wedgie yet paid 18 for wellers
I know I hate it :(. We overpay for everyone /try and seem "nice" at the trade table , but of course other teams don't treat us nicely
We even overpaid for the ones who ending up working out very well for us - Stenglein, Chick cost us a lot (1st + 2nd round picks and mid first round pick respectively).

Yeah that'll work. The recruiters from both clubs could discuss it over tea and scones

Remove this Banner Ad

Back