Mega Thread News of the Day / Interesting Articles & Links

Remove this Banner Ad

23% of women in their 40s and 50s take antidepressants, a higher percentage than any other group (by age or sex)
Women are 2½ times more likely to be taking an antidepressant than men
14% of non-Hispanic white people take antidepressants compared with just 4% of non-Hispanic blacks and 3% of Mexican Americans
Less than a third of Americans who are taking a single antidepressants (as opposed to two or more) have seen a mental health professional in the past year

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-antidepressant-use-by-americans-201110203624

One particular SSRI has been associated with increased suicide. .

I didn't mention that any SSRI increases suicide. There has, however, been some credible research that points to an association between one of them (fluoxetine) and increased suicide thoughts and behaviour in children. Other meta analysis have failed to rule out an association between SSRIs and suicide.

Here's one of many stories on five of them being associated, not the one you claimed.

http://www.drugwatch.com/ssri/suicide/

Unfortunately, SSRIs, a relatively new class of antidepressants, have been associated with an increased risk of suicide. In tests of Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro and Luvox on children with major depressive disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder and other psychiatric disorders, about 4 percent of patients experienced suicidal thinking, behavior or attempts. In the placebo group, 2 percent of the participants experienced similar problems

I'm still waiting on you telling me what are the classes of drugs used to treat depression and how do they work. you can use youtube, i don't mind.

a number of meta-analyses drawing data from multiple studies have shown that antidepressants are no better than a sugar pill. People who are depressed often respond to placebo because it gives them hope. Severe depression is essentially a feeling of profound hopelessness and despair that can best be addressed by a variety of psychotherapeutic, educational, and spiritual or religious interventions.

http://breggin.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=196

From agitation and hostility to impulsivity and mania, the FDA’s litany of antidepressant-induced behaviors is identical to that of PCP, methamphetamine and cocaine—drugs known to cause aggression and violence. These older stimulants and most of the newer antidepressants cause similar effects as a result of their impact on a neurotransmitter in the brain called serotonin.
For more than a decade, I have documented in books and scientific reports how this stimulation or activation profile can lead to out-of-control behavior, including violence.

Date of article is 2004. You should know better Grin

On March 22 the FDA issued an extraordinary “Public Health Advisory” that cautioned about the risks associated with the whole new generation of antidepressants including Prozac and its knock offs, Zoloft, Paxil, Luvox, Celexa, and Lexapro, as well as Wellbutrin, Effexor, Serzone, and Remeron. The warning followed a public hearing where dozens of family members and victims testified about suicide and violence committed by individuals taking these medications.

Its so sad you post the way you do.

I'm still waiting on you telling me what are the classes of drugs used to treat depression and how do they work. you can use youtube, i don't mind.

Again. Let's first agree on what constitutes credible evidence and perhaps put it in a hierarchy. For example

What is "the best available evidence"? The hierarchy of evidence is a core principal of Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) and attempts to address this question. The evidence hierarchy allows you to take a top-down approach to locating the best evidence whereby you first search for a recent well-conducted systematic review and if that is not available, then move down to the next level of evidence to answer your question.

EBP hierarchies rank study types based on the rigour (strength and precision) of their research methods. Different hierarchies exist for different question types, and even experts may disagree on the exact rank of information in the evidence hierarchies.

http://canberra.libguides.com/content.php?pid=591487&sid=5015301

Once we've agreed on that, we can discuss your evidence regarding your propositions that "Those middle aged whites are mostly on anti depressants, Those anti depressants have proved to be ineffectual and cause suicide, the label depression has been proved to be a marketing slogan to sell more anti depressants, to make money."

One particular SSRI has been associated with increased suicide.

If one particular has, what ones haven't? Please can you answer, because surely you're not that much of tinfoil hat conspiracy wackjob.

A SYDNEY law firm is preparing to launch a class action against the manufacturers of a range of antidepressants it believes do not issue sufficient warnings about several dangerous side effects, including suicidal thoughts.Drayton Sher Lawyers has been in contact with dozens of people from across the nation — including many in NSW — who say they were not advised that consuming certain types of SSRI antidepressants would cause them to become aggressive and spark suicidal thoughts

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...556629501?sv=b48dcb76f844474652e31b543d55167c
One particular SSRI has been associated with increased suicide. .

:rolleyes:

SSRIs are one of a number of classes medications used to treat depression.
What a wonderful, deluded, black and white, simple little world you live in.

In this truly remarkable — and meticulously researched — volume, Dr. Lynch annihilates psychiatry's cherished chemical imbalance theory of depression. Every facet of this theory, which the author correctly calls a delusion, is critically analyzed and found wanting. Example after example is provided of psychiatrists promoting this fiction, the factual and logical errors of which are clearly exposed in Dr. Lynch's lucid, seamless, and highly readable prose.

http://www.madinamerica.com/2015/08/book-review-depression-delusion-by-terry-lynch-md-ma/

When are you going provide any references to your *ed beliefs?

If one particular has, what ones haven't? Please can you answer, because surely you're not that much of tinfoil hat conspiracy wackjob.
Look. I think there is credible evidence that supports much of what you are saying. But before we get into a discussion about the evidence, let's agree on what defines credible evidence.

When are you going provide any references to your ******ed beliefs?
What ******ed beliefs?
I didn't state any "beliefs"
All I said was that meta analysis has failed to rule out a link between suicide and SSRIs. Not that it had ruled out a link as you seem to be insisting that I am arguing. I also noted that there is credible evidence of an association of fluoxetine and suicide thoughts and behaviour in children.

So by my reading of the evidence, there may well be an association between SSRIs and suicide. I suspect you didn't read my posts properly.

However, you contended that "middle aged whites are mostly on anti depressants, Those anti depressants have proved to be ineffectual and cause suicide, the label depression has been proved to be a marketing slogan to sell more anti depressants, to make money."

So
1/ Lets define what constitutes credible evidence and put it in a hierarchy. That shouldn't be hard as there are many examples on the web and I am likely to agree with any credible hierarchy that you propose.
2/ Discuss the evidence that supports your propositions, of which I am sure you have much.

Look. I think there is credible evidence that supports much of what you are saying. But before we get into a discussion about the evidence, let's agree on what defines credible evidence.

You've changed your tune.
One particular SSRI has been associated with increased suicide.

. You have much more faith in youtube clips created by certifiable nut jobs.

What a wonderful, deluded, black and white, simple little world you live in.

You're yet to provide any references for the paranoid delusions your sharing. I can only agree with your evidence when you present some ( you've been asked multiple times) and when I am as crazy as you.

Over twenty five years people have been screaming about suicide and anti depressants.

[/QUOTE]
You're yet to provide any references for the paranoid delusions your sharing. I can only agree with your evidence when you present some ( you've been asked multiple times) and when I am as crazy as you.

Over twenty five years people have been screaming about suicide and anti depressants.
Again. Let's define what constitutes credible evidence and put it in a hierarchy. Then we'll discuss the evidence.

You really seem quite desperate to avoid any definition and hierarchy of credible evidence.

I wonder why :rolleyes:

Let me give you a hand.

You said
"Those middle aged whites are mostly on anti depressants"
This is a black and white statement and I presume you have credible stats regarding use of anti depressants in this cohort.

You said
"Those anti depressants have proved to be ineffectual and cause suicide"
This is in fact 2 statements and are again very definitive. I'm not sure what you mean by anti depressants. Are you just referring to SSRIs or are you also including SNRIs, tricyclics, mood stabilisers etc. There is at least one credible study that demonstrates a link between some anti depressants and suicide in a particular cohort. Also large meta analysis has not ruled out a link more broadly. However, I'm not aware of on that "proves" the link.
Again with "ineffectual": there is at least 1 large meta analysis of which I am aware that showed no significant difference between SSRIs and placebo in mild to moderate depression. I'm not aware of any large, credible trial that "proves" that all classes of anti depressants are ineffectual.

You said
"the label depression has been proved to be a marketing slogan to sell more anti depressants, to make money"
Were is this proof? Are you saying that there is proof that there is no such thing as depression?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full interview:

"The truth needs no laws to protect it,"

Ursula Haverbeck verdict: Holocaust denial 'Nazi Grandma' gets 10 months in prison

ursula-haverbeck.jpg

A German court has sentenced an 87-year-old woman to ten months in prison for Holocaust denial. Ursula Haverbeck, dubbed the 'Nazi grandma' in the media, was handed the verdict by a Hamburg state court.

The case revolved around a television interview she gave in April, when commenting on the trial of former SS guard Oskar Groening. She claimed Auschwitz wasn't a death camp, before adding: "The Holocaust is the biggest and longer lasting lie in history."

During her own trial she was unapologetic and told the court there was no historical evidence Jews were exterminated at Auschwitz, challenging presiding judge Bjoern Joensson to prove her wrong. "It is pointless holding a debate with someone who can't accept any facts," was Joensson's reply, according to AFP.

http://revisionistreview.blogspot.com.au/2015/11/elderly-lady-imprisoned-for-holocaust.html

During her own trial she was unapologetic and told the court there was no historical evidence Jews were exterminated at Auschwitz, challenging presiding judge Bjoern Joensson to prove her wrong. "It is pointless holding a debate with someone who can't accept any facts," was Joensson's reply, according to AFP.
Judge sounds like a sensible bloke.

Do muslim clerics get their own hat badge? Jewish rabbis do.

Edit: Apparently not: http://www.army.gov.au/~/media/Files/Army%20Dress%20Manual/Chapters%20and%20complete%20version/Chapter%204%20%20Badges%20and%20Emblems%20Combined%2006%20Jun%2014.pdf

Intrestingly 'In hoc signo vinces' is also the motto of the English Defence League. Does it have some kind of connotations with the Crusades?

Maybe we should give Muslim padres their own hat badge saying 'Conquer in the name of faith' or just 'Jihad' for short.

Im sure that would go down a treat too.

Last edited:
This is a freakin' disgrace. My grandfathers would be turning in their graves. They didn't fight so that some religious nutbags could take away everything Australian about us

No, theyre trying to take something away from the religious nutbags your grandfather fought with.

Keep up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back