Past Nicholas Graham

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet the best on here still had Garlett in their sights. ;)

The phantom drafters are generous with their time and the info they put out there, yet they don't get to interview the players, their coaches, etc. and learn what the players are like off the field.

Talent only gets them so far.

Sure. One minor example that seemingly excludes the possibility of him going in the PSD or rookie and winding up a ripping player; in which case the Phantom Drafters would be bang on the money. There are talent spotters around the country who may not get to interview the players or coaches, as that's not their role. And I guess that's why a few draft watchers have found themselves being given such roles in recruiting departments. I just find it somewhat obtuse to dismiss the work these guys do out of hand as little more than shits and giggles.

Off you go then ;)

Seriously though, guessing the actual draft number is meaningless when you consider how many early selections don't make it, while some later ones do. Better would be to assess who consistently spotted the best talent by reading the write ups.

I mean each clubs recruiters list.

Eg we apparently rated Robbo as the 9th best player in his draft, someone else may have had him at 7 but not had the pick, would just be interesting to see how particular recruiters go, might be good on their resume as well.

What ever happened to Hughs btw? Was he sacked? Where's Rodgers from?

Actually there have been a few Phantom Drafters head-hunted to clubs in recruitment roles. And like AFL recruiters themselves, some have a good network from which to pool knowledge of interstate players. You may not want to, but I dips me lid to them.

That's correct I believe. One of the Adelaide posters was picked up by Adelaide FC although I can't remember his name.

The point with the Phantom Drafters (Junior football observers) is just how deep they can see through the kids, for their talents and as importantly their resolve and desire to succeed.
Considering that most of the more serious phantom drafters on these boards have very few tools other than their own innate observations to go by, they do a pretty, bloody good job.
At least the guys that post here regularly and anywhere else for that matter, have a body of work for referencing.

Seriously though, guessing the actual draft number is meaningless when you consider how many early selections don't make it, while some later ones do. Better would be to assess who consistently spotted the best talent by reading the write ups.

Many permutations aren't there?

There would have been plenty of potentially good players lost for lack of proper development, nurturing, opportunity etc. or even for some just not being able to get on with their coach.
Whether we like it or not chemistry between player and coach/team-mates/club mentors etc goes some way in getting the best out of that player.
How much exactly would largely be determined by the make up of that individual.

Eg we apparently rated Robbo as the 9th best player in his draft, someone else may have had him at 7 but not had the pick, would just be interesting to see how particular recruiters go, might be good on their resume as well.

What ever happened to Hughes btw? Was he sacked? Where's Rodgers from?

Role reversal. Had have we not promoted Rogers we would have likely lost him.

Hughes is still working for the CFC but now, under Rogers

Sure. One minor example that seemingly excludes the possibility of him going in the PSD or rookie and winding up a ripping player; in which case the Phantom Drafters would be bang on the money. There are talent spotters around the country who may not get to interview the players or coaches, as that's not their role. And I guess that's why a few draft watchers have found themselves being given such roles in recruiting departments. I just find it somewhat obtuse to dismiss the work these guys do out of hand as little more than shits and giggles.
Major example because he was rated top ten or top twenty by everyone.

Don't know why you chose to criticise Sezzac who commended them, but was correct to say they're just fun and mostly amateurs.

Few rated Bootsma last year.

You're not telling Sezzac anything he doesn't know.

Yeah it would be good to see everyones list, 1-50 each year. After a few years we could find out who the real draft king is.
Imagine if we knew that Hawthorn would have taken Tambling before Franklin or if Geelong would have taken Xav Clarke ahead of Bartell. Would give a different view of all of the recruiters involved. Generally it is better to be lucky than good.

Imagine if we knew that Hawthorn would have taken Tambling before Franklin or if Geelong would have taken Xav Clarke ahead of Bartell. Would give a different view of all of the recruiters involved. Generally it is better to be lucky than good.

Generally though, the better you are the luckier you get.

Interesting to hear Rogers say that he was surprised that Graham was available to us at #54

Being that we took Temay before him anyway, where exactly did he rate Graham then?

Most phantoms had Graham within the top 30 so it was a little bit of a surprise for Temay to have been selected before him.
Not really a surprise Harker - when Temay had Andy McKay on his CV for a reference check and Graham had Nick Stevens.:thumbsu:

Major example because he was rated top ten or top twenty by everyone.

Nope. Picking one player who may yet prove them all right is a minor example if ever I saw one.

Don't know why you chose to criticise Sezzac who commended them, but was correct to say they're just fun and mostly amateurs.

Criticise? All I did was point out that there have been a few draft watchers around the traps who have actually been recruited to AFL clubs and that I "dips my lid" to the better phantom drafters, even he didn't want to. You'd have to be awfully precious to perceive that as criticism pal.

Ah right. My bad. Thought you were talking about Phantom Drafters. There was a poster on TC who used to give an estimation of Hughes ratings, but he stopped doing so after Carlton copped heaps for drafting Lucas over Talia.

But yes, it would be interesting to see each recruiters "Phantom" wouldn't it.

That's correct I believe. One of the Adelaide posters was picked up by Adelaide FC although I can't remember his name.

Yep. Me either though. I believe Mojo was picked up; I'm told Weaver was also.

Many permutations aren't there?

There would have been plenty of potentially good players lost for lack of proper development, nurturing, opportunity etc. or even for some just not being able to get on with their coach.
Whether we like it or not chemistry between player and coach/team-mates/club mentors etc goes some way in getting the best out of that player.
How much exactly would largely be determined by the make up of that individual.

True. There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip. I just admire the knowledge base and effort these junior watchers put in. Clearly there are a few who are a cut above the average poster when it comes to draft time and I'm so pleased they post on BF.

Think about poor Nicky Graham, coming on BF all excited like, to read his welcome thread and seeing you draft hacks squabbling over something trivial, all over his shiny new thread. For shame!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coming from Nicks home town, the only thing that could stop him from becoming a player is his attitude and off field things.

I will be interested to see how his career pans out.

I think he was worth the pick at 54, but the Blues just need to keep an eye on him.

Coming from Nicks home town, the only thing that could stop him from becoming a player is his attitude and off field things.

I think he was worth the pick at 54, but the Blues just need to keep an eye on him.

Coming from a Richmond supporter, it is understandable that I immediately doubt the genuineness of this 'insight'.

Perhaps, it would be more beneficial for you to worry about Dustin Martin's proven and well known bad behaviour.

How's Dustin Martin going and Aaron Edwards going?

Coming from a Richmond supporter, it is understandable that I immediately doubt the genuineness of this 'insight'.

Perhaps, it would be more beneficial for you to worry about Dustin Martin's proven and well known bad behaviour.

I'm not meaning to stir anything, and im sorry if I came off that way.

You're right that you don't have to believe what I say, people can think what they like about it.

And yes, Dustins behaviour is very concerning for us Tiger fans at the moment. Fingers crossed for us he pulls his s**t together.

etsal.... he is just trying to give us an insight.. I don't think he is trying to pot us

I'm not meaning to stir anything, and im sorry if I came off that way.

You're right that you don't have to believe what I say, people can think what they like about it.

And yes, Dustins behaviour is very concerning for us Tiger fans at the moment. Fingers crossed for us he pulls his s**t together.

To add to your Dustin troubles, Caro, who we all know tries to avoid outing Tiger issues, has said in no uncertain terms their are A LOT of people at Richmond who are imagining a Richmond without Dustin Martin.

I think I'll wait for Nick to actually put a foot wrong before I doubt his character/behavior, because in reality all I have seen of Nick is his footage & his tweets. From his tweets I have learnt that he cannot wait to get stuck into training and meet the team. So, I've yet to find anything about him that worries me in the slightest, not to mention the fact that he comes with glowing reviews from his TAC cup coach Nick Stevens.

Why does everyone get so defensive every time an opposition supporter posts ANYTHING on the Carlton board?
Probably because mud sticks and because we don't know each other from a bar of soap (pardon the acronym), we are less likely to take on board anything negative about one of our players, without more proof. Is it true at all? Was it told from a friend of a friend of a friend? Was it a first hand experience? Internet gossip can cruel a young player if it goes unchallenged. Not at all a reflection on the poster but I can understand why people are cautious.

The reason I'm being so defensive of Nick is (just like Aph said) it is his WELCOME thread. I'd hate for him to come on & read this (probably not going to happen but still) and see people potting him & Carlton people believing/buying in and not defending him.
Give the kid the benefit of the doubt. For all we know the Richmond supporter is trolling or trying to deflect his concerns about Martin onto us. And even if he is telling the truth, we as supporters should defend him.

Probably because mud sticks and because we don't know each other from a bar of soap (pardon the acronym), we are less likely to take on board anything negative about one of our players, without more proof. Is it true at all? Was it told from a friend of a friend of a friend? Was it a first hand experience? Internet gossip can cruel a young player if it goes unchallenged. Not at all a reflection on the poster but I can understand why people are cautious.

That's all fine and I agree. But instant breathless attacks on the opposition supporter's team are unnecessary and immature, especially when it's clear that said opposition supporter isn't trolling...

Anyway, here's hoping for 200 like a boss games from Nick Graham. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back